• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Alternate Synchronization Method

Mick

I'm trying out the alternate synchronization method because Windows 10 Creators Update will only show a black screen (full screen) if this setting (or vertical sync) is not enabled. The alternate sync method seems to cause a small input lag (similar to vsync). I'm quite sensitive to these things so I don't know how big an issue this is, has anybody else noticed this or know of other possible problems with the alternate sync method?

Last edited:

RangerX

I am quite sensitive to lag myself but didn't feel it on my compy with my game.
I'd be curious to know if you feel it.

Mick

I am quite sensitive to lag myself but didn't feel it on my compy with my game.
I'd be curious to know if you feel it.
I just tried your game, I noticed a slight input lag but it didn't bother me (could also be due to acceleration of the character). I bet your game wouldn't look very nice with screen tearing and vertical sync will introduce a slight lag, I don't think there's anyway around that. The thing is, I have played my own game so much so I'm able to notice changes in that. Anyway, for Win10 Creators, it seems you need to have BOTH the alternate synchronisation method and vertical sync enabled so it doesn't really matter, vertical sync will introduce a small input/output lag and maybe the alternate sync method will not make it worse, I don't know what it actually does.

RangerX

I also thought "alternate method" was for other synching methods like G-synch
I can't confirm either what it really does and nobody from Yoyo explains it anywhere, rendering this feature entirely useless.

Mick

I also thought "alternate method" was for other synching methods like G-synch
I can't confirm either what it really does and nobody from Yoyo explains it anywhere, rendering this feature entirely useless.
I actually noticed that my game runs faster with alternate sync method enabled. If I run my game when the laptop is on batteries, the GPU speed is throttled so if I enable the CRT emulation shader the game would run at about 54fps (30 fps with vsync). When I enable alternate sync, my game runs at 60fps with or without vsync enabled. I read in another thread that alternate vsync needs to be enabled on Win10 with the Creators update, so I'm thinking now of enabling both vsync and alternate as default. The lag is not too bad, it actually makes the game feel more "heavy". :)

RangerX

Still, as paying customers for a product, we DESERVE to know what we put into our games. I will check that box when I know what it does.

TrunX

I'm not sure if it's the same "alternative sync" like some non GM games offer, but in that cases it's either vsync as long as the game has more fps than the screen refreshrate and without vsync when the fps drops below or it delays the drawing of the whole screen in a way that tearing only appears on the very top of the screen, barely visible if at all but not real vsync.

A short explanation in the build in help would be helpful for sure.