Android [alpha] Dungeon Key, the Txt Msg Rpg [sms server]

D

Dengar

Dungeon Key
explore a familiar world through a new medium.
Android download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5ujr67sg5ca75sk/dungeon_key_alpha_1.apk/file

Dungeon Key is a text message (sms) based game server.
you can play single player on your phone without text messages or press a single button to turn your phone into an sms server to play multiplayer through text messages.

like old text adventure games, this game is controlled by command words like look self, attack, drop sword, chop, fish, craft torch, cook meat, ect...

pick a class, explore, fight monsters, fight other players, collect resources, craft, get a job, create a party to adventure with, explore dangerous dungeons

to play multiplayer, only one person needs to run the app, all other players send regular txt messages to there phone number to play.
the app recieves and replies to incoming text messages to run the game on multiplayer. this only works if the app is running and you can turn this on/off.

game data is not stored externally yet, so if you exit the app the game will be reset and player data will be lost.

current state of game:
currently the game world is very small and hasn't realy been fleshed out.
all the command words work.

future plans:
game data saved externaly. either an online database or locally to the phone.
an online database would allow all game servers to share the same player data, so one player could use the same character on any server.
Level Designer, so you can make custom locations, names, descriptions, monsters, items, and command words.

still need to add to game:
finish creating world
story/quest system
events
dynamic npcs

screenshots will be added when I have a chance to type some out :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NicoFIDI

Does the game have it's own message system, or you are expecting to send actual messages?
Because the latest "feels" very wrong.

D

Dengar

Does the game have it's own message system, or you are expecting to send actual messages?
Because the latest "feels" very wrong.
Im not sure if i understand your question. But single player is just played on the phone. Multiplayer however uses sms short message service to send your actions and get responces from the game.

Example: bill is running the game on his phone. To play with him youd send a message to bills phone number that says "look around". The game on bills phone will automaticaly reply to ur text with a text that describes what you can see. Hope that helps.

NicoFIDI

Yea that explains it.
Well, keep going, those kind of adventures are a huge inspiration material for me :)

D

Dengar

im workin on this project again. check it out and let me kno what you think :)