Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Library_Logo_640x360.png

OUT NOW ON:
Steam
GameJolt
Itch.io

As a criminal on death row you can choose... Die quietly or die in the Alpha Dog dungeon! Choosing the dungeon will still bring certain death, but it may also grant you immortality if you can become the Alpha Dog champion by defeating the hordes of Cur over multiple levels using all your wits and the many weapons scattered throughout.

FEATURES
Alpha dog is an ultra-low-rez arena shooter with procedurally generated levels. You start the game with a simple pistol, but as you continue you can buy or find more weapons and upgrade your health. The game has the following features:​
  • Infinite levels of procedurally generated mayhem​
  • 19 different weapons, all with their own unique handling and effects​
  • Multiple different enemy types, each with their own distinct AI​
  • Secret areas with special weapons that just can't be bought​
  • Online highscores so you can compete against the world​

WHY SO SMALL?
This game started from a simple premise - what's the smallest resolution that I can make a playable game in? After making some prototypes I realised that 90x45 was viable and set about making something that would be fun to play in such a small amount of pixels... and so Alpha Dog was born! I've always loved arena shooters, and the small play area lent itself nicely to this kind of casual shooter game. I've packed as much as possible into the tiny space available and I hope you enjoy playing it! Remember, it's not the size that counts, but what you do with it... ;)

Last edited:
L

Lonewolff

Alpha Dog
To honour the internationally celebrated public holiday of July 2nd 'Lonewolff Day'. We are giving away.... Sorry wrong thread :p

Love the style you have going on though. :)

Cool looking game! The only thing that bugs me is that the music you used wasn't made with the Gameboy Soundchip, since it's stylized to look like a gameboy game. XD Oh well. Nice job!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Cool looking game! The only thing that bugs me is that the music you used wasn't made with the Gameboy Soundchip, since it's stylized to look like a gameboy game. XD Oh well. Nice job!
Thanks! I'd have loved to get music that was more appropriate to the gameboy too, but one has to use what one's budget allows... The music in the game does actually fit pretty well though! Thanks for checking it out!

D

Deleted member 16767

This looks nice. Looks endless and it's awesome that you are making a game out of your random dungeon generator. Hopefully, we'll see the project and code evolve into an even better engine and game. That's what I do with my games. Love the different palettes. And this might surprise you, but people will actually buy things like skins, even for a single player game. If it's in the spotlight, which it is the first day, someone will buy it to support the developer. People will wishlist it too. As long as it's not pay to win. It depends on the community you have gathered.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

lol it's hotline miami mini edition! looks fun. :)

L

Lonewolff

The only thing that doesn't feel right is seeing the pixel art being rotated. Especially at very low resolutions like this. It kind of feels like the easy way out.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I would recommend not using copyrighted things for the themes however, not only illegal I'm certain, it's also a cheap way to get people to relate to your game using references you don't own.