• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Mac OSX All of my text is incredibly low quality

N

Nyarlathotep

I never realized due to how small my game is (540x960), but when I went to full screen I realized how low quality the font is. I've tried seemingly everything from playing with the anti-aliasing, placing the code in draw GUI instead of draw, resizing my entire game to 1080p, but nothing seems to work. The closest I got was turning on interpolate colors around pixels, but that left all of my pixel art looking much less sharp than I would like. What do I do?

Thanks

Attachments

Tsa05

Is your font a small size?
It might be needed to include your font in more than one size, and then to switch to the larger size font when the game window is enlarged.
GMS stores fonts as pictures, just like sprites, when it packages your game, so if the font starts off very small, it's getting strettttched, and that's never a good look for graphics with thin lines.

N

Nyarlathotep

anti-aliasing is on for all output windows. Plus, I'm pretty sure that's just for choosing the font for gamemaker's menus, not the actual game font. All of my fonts have anti-aliasing on too

SoVes

you should draw it either to the gui layer or set your font large and scale it down to the right size.

N

Nyarlathotep

I moved the draw code to the draw gui event and the quality didn't improve. How would you scale the font down?

N

Nyarlathotep

Well, I was able to figure it out, but the quality of the font stayed just as low.

N

Nyarlathotep

Yep, My game is using 3 different fonts so far and they all have the same issue

SoVes

2.2.1.291, The most recent version I believe
there's some font improvements in the current beta version 2.2.2, but i recommend waiting for the release not to corrupt any files. But for now you can use gpu_set_texfilter(true) before you draw your text and set it false after the line gpu_set_texfilter(false).

TheouAegis

What if you draw your text in the GUI event and at the start of your game call display_gui_set_maximise(0,0,1,1)? Font shouldn't scale up at all then. lol

N

Nyarlathotep

The gpu_set_textfilter worked at mostly obscuring the broken font and not looking too blurry that it looks ugly. Thank you so much for your help SoVes!

D

Death

anti-aliasing is on for all output windows. Plus, I'm pretty sure that's just for choosing the font for gamemaker's menus, not the actual game font. All of my fonts have anti-aliasing on too
That was my point: You might have anti-aliasing on...

"Anti-Aliasing: Here you can set the anti-aliasing mode for the output windows font rendering. You can choose to let the IDE decide by selecting Use Default, or you can force it On or Off by selecting either of those options." (under: Output Windows)

You can have it anti-aliased, or not. Blurry or Pixelated, depending on the size, either shows...

Last edited by a moderator: