• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

All gamemaker projects now stutter. Not performance dependant.

Tyeishing

Hello, suddenly today, without warning, all game maker projects have had an awful persistent stutter. This includes games that are in the IDE, games i have the exe of, games currently being worked on, games that i worked on and ran fine in the past. Even my steam game now stutters when played from steam. (runs fine for others though). This is not for all games on my computer however, other games run fine. Audio is not interrupted either. I run game maker 2.2.5.481, and my runtime is 2.2.5.378. I would upgrade, but that makes my projects break in other awful ways. I've restarted my computer obviously. The lag does not interrupt music.

Tales

I have exacly the same problem!! :eek:
yesterday no problem, and today I tried 2 projects and they have the same 0.5sec lag every 10sec... what happen???

Tales

my graphic card have no problem ^^
im on GM1 I doubt (and I hope) there will never be an update again..

Ednei

I may be mistaken, but I always noticed this lag issue when Windows was getting ready to update in the background.
After Windows update the lags disappear.

Sounds like either a recent Windows Update, or an issue with the GPU(Graphics Card) driver. Which could also be a conflict with a recent Windows Update, and the current GPU Driver. Check your recent Windows Updates, and try to roll them back if you can. You can also try uninstalling, and then reinstalling the latest version of the driver for your graphics card. Microsoft has been breaking a lot of things with their updates over the last couple of years. I'm going to wait a bit before the free Windows 11 update, and test it thoroughly before updating my main system.

One update several months back, ruined the bootloader(MBR) on my main desktop. It was telling me there is no Operating System found during the UEFI boot process. I originally thought the hard drive died on me... Ended up being that a Windows Update screwed with the bootloader partition(not sure if it got corrupted or what...). Luckily I've been learning/working with technology for 20+ years, and sorted it out in about an hour. Ended up having to boot up to a command prompt using a Windows 10 bootable media(USB Flash Drive), run the command prompt from there, then run some commands in the cmd to fix some issues with the bootloader(MBR). Had tried the automated repair options on the bootable media before all that, but that didn't resolve the issue.

My last job was for a large corporation, with hundreds of thousands of devices in use, working on the tech help desk. There was so many issues with almost every Windows update. A ton of computers wound up getting bricked, or stuck in what I call "Repair Loop". Tries to repair itself, fails, then reboots, and repeats. Super fun trying to walk technologically challenged people through all that nonsense... XD When they don't even know that all displays need to be directly connected to a computer(or "the box"), rather than daisy chained one to another... fun times ;) Not sure why the app deployment team didn't thoroughly test all windows updates with machines before pushing them out. But, the company uses many different devices(Dell, HP, Lenovo), and models.

So yeah, long story short. Check on your graphics card driver(I would completely uninstall and then reinstall the latest version for your card), and then any Windows Updates that may have been installed recently.

EDIT: If all that fails, I would find an app to keep an eye on your CPU temp, and make sure it's not overheating, which could cause this as well.

Tales

thanks for answers, I sympathize with the problems you had: D
I see a security win update installed 10 days ago. But my problem begin today :/ no problem yesterday.

I have 30 games on my PC an no problem, its only GM who has lagg.. and no update of GM since 3 years (thanks god and all other imaginary friends)..

I installed last nvidia driver and last framework windows today but after laggy problem to see if it solve the problem.. but no..

its msytical.... I HATE mystical problem.. I have a problem with one game on steam, crash at launch.. and after months, guess the solution I found yesterday?... unplug my keyboard (seriously!!!)......... dcfzaerbojuucif grhbsxj chbgvdfry ........ I hate windows...

I gonna try uninstall graphic card but Im tired to loose some time to try to correct stupid buggy thing fall from the sky on the face of my CPU!!!!...

sry for my eng

c023-DeV

Last time I remember was with the whole V-Synch / sleep margin thing. Where Windows decided to take control over the V-Synch... happened to my old Action Script games too.

Tales

I just forced vsync in nvidia panel and reboot for the 30times sinces I had the problem.. and I do not have any lagg anymore :eek: :eek: :eek:
thanks all for share all your solutions
thx c023-DeV that was the good one I guess xD

c023-DeV

Glad it helped. However it still buggs me that this is a thing. In my case I am using older notebooks (with onboard Intel GPU ) and the Intel power saving setting on windows seem to be responsible for the sleep margin. The CPU goes into power saving mode and wakes back up causing the stutter. So you can either turn off V-Synch and live with tearing, or tune the sleep margin settings in GM or try to turn off the CPU power saving options hidden deep in some menu in windows ... (have to search the web for more info on that).

kingyo

Performance problems can occur not only on the developer's PC, but also on the PC of the player who has purchased the game. Therefore, it is not something that can be solved by buying a new graphics board or PC, nor is it something that can be solved by undoing an OS update. Developers don't want to just solve the problem on their own PC.