• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED All fonts are blurry with AA on, jagged with AA off, and unrecognizable under size 12

dsmdlzr

This question has 2 parts, 1. the clarity of the fonts, and 2. the size of the fonts.

Part 1:
As the name suggests, literally all the fonts on my project are blurry when AA is on, but if I turn off AA, it becomes jagged.

I recently downloaded a 3x6 pixel font and it is the only one that seemed to work, so I wonder if it's because of my resolution (480 x 270) is too small, and that fonts other than pixel fonts aren't meant to be rendered on such a small resolution. Thing is, I would really prefer using a generic font like Ariel or Consolas. Maybe it isn't caused by my resolution, but I can't seem to figure out how to use any other fonts.

Images attached below are 1. the pixel font I use, 2. Arial with AA on and 3. Arial with AA off. See how the pixel font looks normal, but Arial looks weird in both.
pixel font.png
arial aa on.pngarial aa off.png

Above that, another issue that's noticeable in these images is the size of the letters. The pixel font has a very optimal size, but Arial and all other fonts are much bigger. Which leads me to...

Part 2:

I use the size 12 for all the fonts in images, but only the pixel font is the right size I want, all the other fonts are much bigger in 12, such as Arial, as seen in the images.

I can set my fonts smaller than 12 but it literally just starts to distort and becomes unrecognizable, I think 12 is the smallest you can go.

This becomes especially tricky when I try to localize it for Asian languages like Chinese, where characters are much bigger than Latin-based fonts like English. I quite literally cannot render them any smaller than 12, because when I do it becomes squished and missing pixels and unrecognizable.

Images below include my Chinese font, see how it is bigger than the pixel font, just like Arial.
chinese with aa off.png

I literally cannot find a way to make these fonts smaller without making them look unrecognizable. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm using the same resolution with you (480 x 270) and my approach to this issue was typing stuff on a surface in GUI layer.
AA on and text size is set to 16 on the screenshot below.
The dark rectangle is the surface and it's drawn with .25 xscale and yscale.
1642500203261.png
Here's also 2 types of fonts. "Villager" and "Army" is written with Alagard font and it's actually too big for (480 x 270) so I drew these text on GUI layer and made them look smaller.
(Don't mind the text alignment here)
1642500183310.png

Stra

Have you tried tweaking
gpu_set_tex_mip_bias(-1)
and
gpu_set_tex_mip_filter(tf_anisotropic) ?

dsmdlzr

I'm using the same resolution with you (480 x 270) and my approach to this issue was typing stuff on a surface in GUI layer.
View attachment 45409
Here's also 2 types of fonts. "Villager" and "Army" is written with Alagard font and it's actually too big for (480 x 270) so I drew these text on GUI layer and made them look smaller.
View attachment 45408
Oh, that looks great! I'll try it out later today, see how it works with my project.
Thanks!

dsmdlzr

View attachment 45409
View attachment 45408
Yep, using Draw GUI solved my problem perfectly.
Thank you.