• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Demo Alexander Julian

A

Alex Lyons

Plot:

A crime syndicate called the “Riders” has invaded Central Iowa! Thousands of teenagers rise to the opportunity to defy morals and standards join them. PCM High School’s greatest warrior and activist, Sage Edwards, took it upon herself to confront this new threat. Weeks pass and PCM High is getting concerned. Throughout the years, Sage’s efforts inspired a fellow high schooler named Alexander Julian to follow in her footsteps. Teamed up with his friends, Alex decides to embark on a quest to defeat this gang and find Sage.

What to Expect:
Alexander Julian is a blend of the arcade-styled beat 'em up and the 2D platform genre. The demo right now only has the first level and the features that were implemented at the time of the demo. There's several types of enemies that have unique methods of keeping the player back. Some require a specific attack to defeat. These attacks can be simple melee moves (X), a slide (Right +X + Down), an uppercut (X+Z), or an aerial attack (Z+X). More attacks will be implemented in the final game.

Be sure to give feedback on the demo and follow the game page if you have a GJ account.

Click here to go the game's page on Gamejolt!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The graphics actually don't look too bad, they're consistent and I like the foreground things that have slightly bigger pixels. IMO the characters need shadows, though... just small circles at the 'base Y value' would do a lot to make them have more 'depth' and feel more connected to the world. I also think the world would feel more alive if you put things in the background that weren't enemies, like crates and trashcans and stuff you could break to get food, bystanders that just look at what happens, cats and dogs chasing each other, and stuff like that. The world feels really... empty right now.

A

Alex Lyons

The graphics actually don't look too bad, they're consistent and I like the foreground things that have slightly bigger pixels. IMO the characters need shadows, though... just small circles at the 'base Y value' would do a lot to make them have more 'depth' and feel more connected to the world. I also think the world would feel more alive if you put things in the background that weren't enemies, like crates and trashcans and stuff you could break to get food, bystanders that just look at what happens, cats and dogs chasing each other, and stuff like that. The world feels really... empty right now.
I like your ideas! I'll be sure to add more stuff for world-building. Thanks for checking out the demo!

G

Gedor Games

Not bad, I dont play much beet em up games but this was nice. A thing that would improve the game besides better graphic like Yal said is the ability to walk up and down the screen since that is a feature that most of these games have. I pretty much just used the sliding attack all the time, it worked on all enemies :p

A

Alex Lyons

Not bad, I dont play much beet em up games but this was nice. A thing that would improve the game besides better graphic like Yal said is the ability to walk up and down the screen since that is a feature that most of these games have. I pretty much just used the sliding attack all the time, it worked on all enemies :p
I nerfed the sliding attack so it's not as effective, making the player resort to punches and other stuffs for the final game. Thanks for the feedback!