GameMaker Advice when it comes to loading text (localization) [SOLVED]

PlayerOne

I plan localizing my game and I have two ideas rolling around in my mind on how to load text. Either load the strings from an .ini file into a ds_grid in a centralized way and have the objects access the strings form that grid or load strings in each object when a room starts (or object spawned) in to a object variable.

Each carry their ups and downs and I was hoping if any one had insight into this subject. Currently, I'm thinking a ds_grid would be faster in a persistent object to access the localized text.

2Dcube

How do you plan to do the translation? Do you have people helping out?
I use an excel sheet (or Google doc) with the first column being string ids, like "button_ok", "button_cancel" and so on. Then the other columns are each for a different language.
Other translators can easily help out.

When it's done I turn a csv file into json with Game Maker, which is a bit more complicated.
But I guess what I'm saying is, it also depends on how you plan to do translating.

If it's not much text, a simple ini file might do.

PlayerOne

Hi!
I think a good way to do it is to have an included json file that stores all the languages.
Then when you need to draw any kind of text, you just decode the json file in a temporary ds_map and return the string you need.
Here's an explanation on how to do it:
https://alexder.itch.io/json-localization-game-maker-studio
Welp, I didn't notice this topic had a new reply till I was searching for people to help today. lol

Wasn't honestly expecting help out of the blue like this and yet this is what I needed. Thank you. You made made my day. :):):):):)

RizbIT

when a user in say india views your store listing and they can speak only english, does google serve the description in auto translated Hindi?

if yes (as you havent added localizations) then how will that user read the description?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
when a user in say india views your store listing and they can speak only english, does google serve the description in auto translated Hindi?

if yes (as you havent added localizations) then how will that user read the description?
When Google Play auto-translates anything, it's always to the end user's system language, not the local language(s) where Google thinks the user is from. If a user in India can only speak English, then his/her phone will certainly be set to English, and that's what Google Play will show.

If you haven't added a localization, it's up to the user to make out as much of the auto-translated description as possible. But with games, the answer's always in the pudding. If they can't figure out the description or gameplay well enough, they'll hit uninstall. That's the nature of the beast.

It's inevitable, but you don't have to (and can't) be everyone's friend. The point is not to support every language badly with automated translation, but to support a select few well with translation done by native speakers (or at least near-native speakers). And it's not always as simple as swapping out text.