Development Advice on 2 very simple game concepts. (BRAND NEW STARTER)

C

CharityEvent21/03

I am organising a charity event on my birthday and have 2 extremely simple premises for a game. If you can provide advice on either that would be fantastic!

1)
The user is confronted with an object, you must assign the object to the correct box of 2 (right or left) If you get the answer right you score a point. You must complete as many as you can within a minute. The game is as simple as that. My problem is that all the tutorials I have seen so far, seem to show that of a free roam environment. Is my game compatible with this development software, and if not can you recommend any other place?

2)
The user is to select from 3 different dropdowns, each having 3 different options. The user is then given a result from 27(3 cubed) potential different variations. Same question, is this simple game something the game development can provide and would you have any additional advice for both?

chamaeleon

1. Yes, compatible. Just need a few objects and a couple of instances to handle your user interaction, depending on how you go about it.
2. "dropdowns" sounds like it implies GUI style stuff. GMS does not have anything much in the way of GUI. It has objects and instances (the mantra is, learn the difference between the two) and sprites for visual representation and interaction (primarily), and you build up things from that. You can get various GMS marketplace extensions that uses these things to create GUI style elements. So depending on your actual needs and desired visual representation can be easy or a little harder (especially if you are brand new to GMS).

NightFrost

Instead of trying to implement a dropdown GUI element, you could have the game just display three groups with three choices in each, and advice the player to choose one from each group. Then, development time permitting, you could return to it and pretty it up with proper GUI styling. Since you're a beginner you should concentrate on getting all the basic mechanisms work to start with, only then add more elaborate code requirements.

C

CharityEvent21/03

Thank you for your very quick response on this guys.

Chamaeleon, thanks for your reassurance on the 1st game. Glad to hear it seems relatively simple.

Cham and Night Frost thank you again. I will have a go and see how far I get with it.

chamaeleon

An instance on the screen does not have to move around in an environment. It can just stay where it is (more or less the default unless you modify x or y, or set speed and direction, or apply physics), and just react to mouse down or screen tap events, etc., at which point you do whatever you want, like update scores, change a question or label text, change a sprite of some instance to something else, as desired. Having two of these instances would then let you have the ability to distinguish between interaction between two visual display elements.