• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Advice for a First Time Developer

J

jt_guevara

Hello everyone! I'm new to game development and I have some questions!

First, what paths can I consider as a first-time developer? Going independent or applying to work for a large studio? Currently, I'm a solo developer working on a simple 8-bit action and puzzle game. I've done some research in the last couple of days and I've read all sorts of indie stories, from solo developers to small teams, failures and successes. I find that there's no consensus on this, everyone has different opinions. I wanted to ask directly for myself.

Second, say I choose going independent. Is it wise to release your first game for free to build an audience or sell it right off the bat? Again, I find that there's different opinions on this.

Third, marketing. How to go about it? I'm not sure where to start.

I'm new to this entire process and attempting to figure it out before I dive in. Any help or advice is appreciated!

RangerX

One thing I guess you need to put there. You primarily there for a living or for fun? Because that's the basis of all your futur decisions. If you're in the money/living, your game design will be more "marketable" than "what you dream of" maybe.
You will also make multiple smaller games before risking a big game generally speaking. And you would sell any games you make, be confident your work is worth something, market and price it right and you might end up making money. A free that wouldn't build you a following is 100% lost time and pulling away your dream of living off this job.

J

jt_guevara

Thanks for responding, RangerX. In addition, yes, I want to make a living out of this.

gmx0

First, join a game jam and make a (small but complete) game in 48-72 hours. If you can't make a game in such a short time, you need a lot more practice and don't even think of this being your first job.
Don't set out to make big games. Make complete small ones, then make it bigger, and bigger, and bigger.
Don't restart projects unless you really have to. Finish first, then use what you learn for a new project. Finishing is more important than refactoring code.
Do not quit your full time job to go into indie games development, especially if you haven't completed any of the previous steps.

Last edited:

Genetix

At this point I wouldn't worry to heavily about whether or not you should sell your first game or give it away. I also wouldn't worry to much about marketing, at least yet. Now is the time to actually complete a game, that last 10% can be extremely challenging.

That doesn't mean you can't start to build an audience and a name. You can start sharing screens of your progress on twitter, facebook, forums, and other places. Build up hype for the project you are working on, and if after a few weeks it really does seem like something more then just a prototype that can be scrapped start thinking about working towards publicly releasing a finished product.

A great and honest piece of advice - your first game will fail.