• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Project Advanced Inventory System [New version]

hydroxy

previewasset.png

I made an Inventory System for GMS projects almost 7 years ago, took a few weeks of solid work to perfect it but I was pretty happy with it. I've released it for free after a few months of it being paid-access only. Since then it has been consistently downloaded at steady rate, so since then I've had about 1,100 downloads which may not be much for others, but I think its decent.

Recently, the asset has had some interest on its marketplace page and via emails, so I've decided to update it with some of the features users have been requesting. The end product will be free for anyone who wants it also.

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/1075/advanced-inventory-system
Here is the original system I made.

Already added features:
  • Upgraded from 30fps to 60fps
  • Added item health values (which can be optionally enabled for items with limited health e.g. pickaxes)
  • Changed font to smaller and more sensible option so more text can be easily displayed on screen
  • Started converting common inventory operations into functions e.g. inventory_cursor_item() and deselect_target() to make programming the inventory more streamlined
  • Reorganised asset files to align better with GMS2's improved folder system (e.g. sprites can move into objects folders now)
Planned features:
  • Performance improvements (currently I think it could be much better) taking advantage of some of the newer GMS2 capabilities e.g instance_place_list and similar functions that didn't exist years ago.
  • HTML5 compatibility (partially implemented with just the GMS2 migration, but does a black screen crash sometimes that I need to resolve still)
  • Improve the demo game files (fix depths, improve collisions, bug fixes, add more enemies, add more items, make the screen larger, improve sounds, artistic improvements (e.g. item shimmer), etc...)
  • 9-slice implementation for inventory sprite hud sprites
  • Allow items to appear in game in players hand beside sprite i.e. to show player holding a sword for example
  • More customisation for inventory behavior:
    • toggle vs hold controls for opening inventory
    • remapping of keys and options for mouse control
    • different inventory operations (e.g. splitting item piles into two)
    • items can maybe have multiple targets, conditions and actions
    • dual item wielding
    • multi slot items (not sure if this will be possible, though will look into it)
    • pick up items only on keypress option
    • customise target highlighting
    • have items that don't show in inventory grid e.g. coins picked up for currency can be displayed elsewhere in HUD and will not consume any grid space
  • More item customisation:
    • custom item sprites for inventory which can be different from game sprites (animation optional)
    • custom item bars in inventory for variables other than item_health (e.g. item current ammo state)

The update isn't complete or released yet, may be only about 30-40% completed at the moment, though I thought I'd post a work in progress type post to show what I'm up to and get feedback from the community for suggestions of changes and features.

Last edited: