• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android admob extension admobinitilize does not need app id to be inited?

Navidrct

hi
to implement admob extension i saw that there is no input for admobinitilize function
in your example is like this too
it means we dont need to use app id in our project?
in last version of admob extension we give this app id to google_initilize ad

jzavala

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Hi Navidrct

App id still necessary, but now is on injections text box:

Android:
1631797116093.png
iOS:
1631797173726.png

Regards

neochilds

I give up as none of those solution work for my game.
changed the app id
did a space for the 580 release.
I failed to list to my main advise, never update an application inbetween projects. The previous adservice worked with no hitch. this version yeah...
The crazy thing is that I even removed all rooms for one of my backups as maybe I had something in a room. I think the last thing I will probably try is to delete all objects and scripts and everything from the game and simply try to push the admob test room.
I can't guess what could be the issue. The reason why I am just so confused is that all other test build I do work I even pulled one of my old games
check the options imported it over from game maker 1.4 into 2 just to try and create a mess and that seems to compile and run the ads in the test room.
SIGHS!

brian

I give up as none of those solution work for my game.
changed the app id
did a space for the 580 release.
Hi Neochilds - can I ask what behavior is occurring? Like what exactly is telling you it is or is not working? Knowing what the failure state is would be very useful.

I think the last thing I will probably try is to delete all objects and scripts and everything from the game and simply try to push the admob test room.
Do not do this. I promise the issue will be much more surface-level than you are assuming it to be right now.

neochilds

Hi Neochilds - can I ask what behavior is occurring? Like what exactly is telling you it is or is not working? Knowing what the failure state is would be very useful.

Do not do this. I promise the issue will be much more surface-level than you are assuming it to be right now.
Firstly thank you Navid for replying also thank you Brian for the interest. Thank you jzavala as well. Hopefully someone has some ideas as well because I am lost.
To answer your question I am not even sure what is occurring as the build is now building after the temporary fix work around of using 574 or the other temp fix of putting a space before the ... admob .. xml what you call it defenciences. Long story short the test ads will not generate and I will not use my live ads to test as I would like to avoid being banned by google. The ads work on several minigame test I build but not in my production game and I have no clue what is occurring. The debug reports no error. I share the log with navid. he also noticed no problem. So I am clueless and just out of ideas.

Just to get you up to speed. had the earlier version of admob installed on one of my build.. which worked.

So I decided to update to the newest admob which worked on a test new clean empty room build.

did the 580 update and for some reason that failed and ofcourse a week or so later I looked all over until Navid was explaining about the admob and I reminded him it was updated and so he did the new vid and also noted the issue and reported it and that opened a ticket which then made everyone know that 580 had a bug and that reverting to 574 would work. One of the dev stated the temporary fix to this bug.

Either way getting back to my game which I have now deleted everything in regards to the objects and script and now I have no clue what is causing the issue. Note other test work so I was suspecting it's probably because I imported the original from gm1.4 but I did that same import on another game I made and that worked in a test room without even changing the app id.

My latest test was with object/scripts all deleted and only running the admob room within my game build.

so confused. I really don't want to have to start my game from scratch just sooo much work. It seems I may just get rid of this whole admob thing was a great though but now it is a head ache.

brian

Firstly thank you Navid for replying also thank you Brian for the interest. Thank you jzavala as well. Hopefully someone has some ideas as well because I am lost.
To answer your question I am not even sure what is occurring as the build is now building after the temporary fix work around of using 574 or the other temp fix of putting a space before the ... admob .. xml what you call it defenciences. Long story short the test ads will not generate and I will not use my live ads to test as I would like to avoid being banned by google. The ads work on several minigame test I build but not in my production game and I have no clue what is occurring. The debug reports no error. I share the log with navid. he also noticed no problem. So I am clueless and just out of ideas.

Just to get you up to speed. had the earlier version of admob installed on one of my build.. which worked.

So I decided to update to the newest admob which worked on a test new clean empty room build.

did the 580 update and for some reason that failed and ofcourse a week or so later I looked all over until Navid was explaining about the admob and I reminded him it was updated and so he did the new vid and also noted the issue and reported it and that opened a ticket which then made everyone know that 580 had a bug and that reverting to 574 would work. One of the dev stated the temporary fix to this bug.

Either way getting back to my game which I have now deleted everything in regards to the objects and script and now I have no clue what is causing the issue. Note other test work so I was suspecting it's probably because I imported the original from gm1.4 but I did that same import on another game I made and that worked in a test room without even changing the app id.

My latest test was with object/scripts all deleted and only running the admob room within my game build.

so confused. I really don't want to have to start my game from scratch just sooo much work. It seems I may just get rid of this whole admob thing was a great though but now it is a head ache.
Just have a few questions - and I'll preface this with saying I just updated a project from an old version of the YYG AdMob extension so I promise this is possible.

Also for a bit of a preface for @jzavala - I built the new version of AdMob on .580 with no issues, same with the new version of the IAP extension! Another member of my team had the issue that's being discussed and needed to insert a new line to get it to work for them, but my lack of an issue threw us off that scent for quite a while (I'm running on Win10, happy to give more specs and any log info you might want)

Okay, so - first things first @neochilds :
  • I'm assuming you've read through the documentation that came with the new AdMob extension as a PDF? The majority of functions have changed (most of them just slightly).
  • You mention that the Test Ads do not work for you - in what way do they not work? Do they launch but have production ads, or do they not launch at all?

I had a similar issue where the test function that needed to be called was NOT functioning as I believed it should - because of this I tested our ads very lightly, though I can imagine this would be a very different story (and make me a lot more anxious) with banner ads instead of rewarded videos.​

neochilds

Yup read the PDF documentation back and forth. First thing I went thru that's why I always do their test first before implementing solo.

Just for context I have a clean version of my game with no previous admob, so no lingering assets installed from the previous admob. Imported a clean admob into this new version placed the test room as the start room none of the test ads would load, banner, inter, rewards.

Also note I did the same on another game and I did not change the default android options to reflect my company com etc. That other smaller game worked.

The main game that I would like the ads and things work for some reason will not load the ads which is extremely confusing.

I think the biggest confusion for me is that it will not work on the test rooms and note I changed none of those objects or codes.

That's why I am so lost.

neochilds

To some degree I am glad I bought the application before the subscription as having to pay monthly for an application where in a case where something else in an update breaks something and you are left with a world wind of confusion. Fortunately I saw navid did a video on the prior admob and mentioned this to Navidcrt who then happen to dig a bit deeper which then started a ripple effect that then resulting with a dev stating oh yeah we broke something here is a temp fix until the next release which worked for some affected users but still left me stranded.

Yeah your are welcome.

The interesting thing is while looking around prior to the put a space in the xml area fix, some where thinking that some affected users had illegal application which resulted in the bug being dismissed.

What I am trying to say is what or who can I consult for a strange issue such as mine which as I mentioned works in the test but simply not one my product even though I am using the test room and have not changed any code.

This right here makes me concerned as this is probably the culprit.
"
Extension Editor "Injection" UI Changes
  • The code injection panels inside the Extension Editor (Android and iOS) now rely on you passing in XML to indicate what should be injected and where, as there are now so many places gradle can inject to that adding a panel for each would have made the editor very messy
  • If you have projects which make use of the existing injection functionality please do make a backup before you open them the first time and then review them carefully in this version, as you might need to make changes to your setup - any issues, please send us a bug report and include a copy of your backup
  • Be aware that existing injection content will be updated into the new format the first time you edit any existing content, so after you make changes you would not be able to use this extension in 2.3.3-or-older again without having to remove and re-add your injection setup using the old format
  • Please see the manual for an updated overview of the extension editor, plus we have now merged our Helpdesk guides on how to create simple extensions for a variety of platforms into the manual so everything is in one place
"
Ah good grief I am done.

Navidrct

Sorry neochilds .
These thing shouldn't happen at this stage .
But please wait till new update and always create backup with git or sourcetree .
Sorry for your problem
Hope it will be fixed on next update

neochilds

Update!!! UPDATE!!!

So after working with Jzavala who was an Awesome chap because he decided to jump in to see what noise I was making in the forum and what was causing this odd bug I was complaining about. After a little session of checking this and that and Jzavala doing his magic. He came to realise that another issue arose which was due to the length of my package name which is for example "com.xxx.xxx" basically I guess the new admob and how the injector handles things is stating the name is possibly too long. So it had to be shorter. That is great for one thing except that my game is already on the playstore which is a bigger problem than I suspected and pretty much tanks my game. So yeah I will just have to wait and see what occurs on the update. Thankfully I never did update the build of my game on the playstore with any of the builds or I would be crushed with more grief because now I cannot update or if I do I will have to simply do without the ads.

The one thing that came out of this was the fact that I know I can follow instructions bwhahahaa. I am so happy that it was not something that I did wrong in my transcribing of the code.

Even more fortunately I have a crap ton of backups I made because for some reason I like to make backups and people wonder why I still keep a working copy of gm 1.4. along side my gm2.

-Please also note my package name is not banned on admob or google ads as the current game is still up and running with ads fortunately on google because I did not update the game with the latest updates. Also Admob indicates all is green because. I follow the rules to the letter.

Again thank you Jzavala you were a gent and scholar at least we know I am in a bigger nightmare now. "GOOD GRIEF CHARLIE BROWN." and here i thought it could not be worst. BWHAHAHAHA All I can do is laugh.

Last edited:

neochilds

Ok after some amazing work yesterday with jzavala we have confirmed that Thank god I do not need to change my package name for the final build.

With how google can get with you viewing your own ads I am always on the fence with test my own live ads until I know a code is perfect plus one of the first reviews I saw of the admob was actually by @brian
" I also am noticing that calling AdMob_SetTestDeviceId(); before the initialize function (which is how it is documented) does not seem to perform as advertised on Android at least, which could cause some bad effects the admob accounts of users running a lot of tests. "

So I was certainly not going to use my live codes either way long story short when I tested with the data in the admob with my game it failed. yes we now know about the space in the xml injection etc etc.

The most likely reason most test build work is due to the fact that most don't change their google package name on a test build so assumly this is a default so a general test will work which I did see but when I added this to my production game it would not work because all parts of the code work in tangent.

In short my package name is tied to my app id etc etc etc so without a proper AdMob_SetTestDeviceId() annotation you can get banned I can't afford that and I suppose many cannot afford that as well so be aware.

I am glad we ran into this now and did the necessary troubleshooting to get to a proper answer where I did not have to change my package name as that would have been a nightmare well not entirely for me but for someone else.

So what I have learnt from this is I can do a test and run test ads but I may have to change the package name which is a pain but is a work around I can live with until the fix is live.

THANKS AGAIN @jzavala I don't drink beer but we can get some wine one day you are one amazing chap. @Navidrct Thank you again also for doing the video and @brian your review of the admob may have saved a few souls if they were not aware that depending how you place that AdMob_SetTestDeviceId() you may get banned. Many are probably thinking that they are set to test mode with that "admobsetTest" declaration and don't realise they may be testing their own code and could have sever consequences on the admob side . Yeah I was not going to get banned at no cost, nope, nah I am good.

Thank you again and hopefully this helps the next person who may come across something similar and hopeful prevents peopel from being accidentally banned.

Last edited: