• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Adjusting stereo spread

obscene

When using headphones I notice that sounds coming from the edge of the screen are panned extreme left or right and while this works well on a TV it really pushes sounds too far to each extreme compared to what I'm looking at.

I don't really get a sense of how to adjust it.

Here's how I have my model set up...

global.falloff_ref_dist=1000
global.falloff_max_dist=3000
global.falloff_factor=1
audio_falloff_set_model(audio_falloff_linear_distance)

// In my audio emitter create script...
audio_emitter_falloff(audio_emitter,global.falloff_ref_dist,global.falloff_max_dist,global.falloff_factor);

R

renex

Try moving the listener away from the plane. This should decrease the perceived separation.

upload_2017-2-5_17-2-13.png

obscene

Thanks, I wasn't thinking in 3 dimensions. It does indeed work! Unintended side effect though is all sounds are quieter the further I move the listener away so however I make an adjustment for this I'll have to boost all the sfx volume as well.

I never see any kind of setting for this in games how I don't play many modern games. I wonder if I should have a simple "Headphone Mode" or just make a slider for "Stereo Width" ?