• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Adding substance to an arena fighter?

Cpaz

So, I've been working on an arena fighter (linked in the signature) for quite a while now.
I've only recently realized how little there is to actually do in the game.
Needless to say, everytime I try to think of something, I draw a blank.
Now, I do have more things to do in the works, it's just unrelated to the arena mode.

I've already added items to add variety. Three item types that do different things, from adding status effects to attacks to straight stat boosts.
Aside from that, the most I've come up with thus far is altering the actual arena as time goes on. Adding more and more obstacles and enemy types to complement these alterations. But, simultaneously, I've no idea where to begin with this idea.

I'll give photo's of the arenas themselves.
arena1.png
arena2.png
arena3def.png
(This last one is one of three random variants, they're isn't much of a difference)
If remaking these areas are necessary, I may as well try (hurray for moving over to GMS2)

G

gamedev4life

I think characters' abilities would be a good place to start. Develop some cool special moves that are unique to the character. Other than that it's hard to help you without seeing a gif or something of actual gameplay

D

DyingSilence

Well, you can add shopping time between waves, plant optional spawns which will summon something nasty when destroyed, have an interactive environment. I can't think of really fitting things as i didn't see the game.

Also, you should know, that having such an issue is a really big hole in your design.

I wish you best of luck with this.

Cpaz

I think characters' abilities would be a good place to start. Develop some cool special moves that are unique to the character. Other than that it's hard to help you without seeing a gif or something of actual gameplay
Oh. Sorry. Yeah, character abilities are a thing. I intend to add more to them here soon. But I *think* I have the character fighting thing sorted. It's just the environment and enemies that have me concerned that It will get stale easily, much like most arena fighters.
(Added a video link, it's an older version BTW)
Well, you can add shopping time between waves, plant optional spawns which will summon something nasty when destroyed, have an interactive environment. I can't think of really fitting things as i didn't see the game....
There already is a shop. It's all before it begins, but it's there.
I like the idea of destructible spawn points, that could be interesting.
...Also, you should know, that having such an issue is a really big hole in your design...
Maybe? I have most if not all of the fundamentals in place. My issue is adding something more to it. It shouldn't take too terribly much.
For example, I could see having some gimmick, like the destructible spawns, for each arena.

D

DyingSilence

It seems like you're creating this game around the feel, not around the fun and interesting mechanic. The thing about this is that when it fails, it's miserable. I've done some games around the feel, only some of them didn't go wrong.

I could recommend you:
A) Putting a big twist to the formula. As the game is developed this far it has to be something in enviroments and/or enemies. It can be for example that enemies are made of parts put into the slots, dropping some when dying, and the player will have to destroy them, or a living enemy will pick it up and become tougher. Those can be both robots, aliens or Lovecraftian monstrosities. As for enviroments, you can for example make it an evershifting chamber inside some beast's guts.
B) Tightening up the designs and creating them with care. The arena fighter will become much more exciting when the enemy types will have some interactions and synergies with each other, requiring diverse strategies. Think Ornstein and Smoug.

Hope it helps :)