• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Adding new resource in resource manager causes errors

R

Remix The Idiot

I'm getting a strange problem whenever I add a new resource in my game maker projects. It wasn't a big issue before, but now with over hundreds of rooms, objects, sprites, etc., it's becoming more and more annoying.

Basically whenever I add a new resource like a sprite or an object, it's like game maker doesn't update all object indexes or something. So whenever I add a new sprite and test the game, suddenly all my objects display the wrong sprites and whenever I add a new object, some instances in the room change.

At the start this wasn't a big issue, I just manually reloaded the few sprites and objects I had. Deleting the code and pasting it back for objects did the job. And just reopening sprites and closing them worked nicely. But now doing that can waste hours of development time with how big my resource tree has become.

The effects vary from minor inconvenience to an actual pain in the back side. I cant quite point it out, it seems pretty random, all I know is that this happens whenever I create a new resource.

Any ideas? If it helps I use the steam version of GMS2 and run all my games on YYC. And yes, as far as I'm aware, all my things are up to date.

Ricardo

That's the project cache. Every time you add/remove a resource make sure to click the Clean button (brush icon, CTRL+F7).
It is usually not needed to clean the cache when you edit something, but create/remove a resource usually cause issues.

R

Remix The Idiot

That's the project cache. Every time you add/remove a resource make sure to click the Clean button (brush icon, CTRL+F7).
It is usually not needed to clean the cache when you edit something, but create/remove a resource usually cause issues.
Oh? Really, that was it? Well, cool. I can do that. I don't remember this ever being a thing but oh well.

Problem solved.