• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Adding More Tile Boxes to a Tileset?

Is there a way to add another row of tiles, because I've got this going on where's it cutting off some of the image off instead of tiling the while thing

2021-02-21 (3).png

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
No way to add more tile boxes because that's calculated based on the rest of the settings, but yes way to reduce that Tile Offset Y that's causing it to cut off the top portion... :V

No way to add more tile boxes because that's calculated based on the rest of the settings, but yes way to reduce that Tile Offset Y that's causing it to cut off the top portion... :V

If I reduce the tile offset they no long line up in the room correctly because there's a very narrow tolerance for the region of settings in which the fence sits behind the floor tiles at the right height. Guess I'm going to have a make a third tileset and third layer for the top.

Edit: hold up, I just can add more space on to the top of the canvas so it has more room

Edit: That fixed it, I just spoofed it by adding more blank canvas so had more image space to put tiles on

Last edited:

Tyg

if your tile set is 10x10 and tiles are 48x48, your base tile sprite should be 480x480
your base tileset sprite is 337x175 each tile is 48x57, and a 2 border, this is not good and good luck if your going to use viewports
337/48 gives you 7.02083333 tiles and 175/57 gives you 3.0701754 tiles
i think you should plan your base sprite divided evenly by the tile size you want and dont use borders or offsets
maybe go 360x180 for the sprite which can be divided evenly 10x5 36 length 36 height
the top left corner tile has to be blank if you have ever used tilesets
hope that helps :)

if your tile set is 10x10 and tiles are 48x48, your base tile sprite should be 480x480
your base tileset sprite is 337x175 each tile is 48x57, and a 2 border, this is not good and good luck if your going to use viewports
337/48 gives you 7.02083333 tiles and 175/57 gives you 3.0701754 tiles
i think you should plan your base sprite divided evenly by the tile size you want and dont use borders or offsets
maybe go 360x180 for the sprite which can be divided evenly 10x5 36 length 36 height
the top left corner tile has to be blank if you have ever used tilesets
hope that helps :)

I had to do it the way I did because my ground tile isn't a straight line. So if I didn't adjust the fence to go behind it slightly there would've been gaps visible.

The primary tile set is 48x48 tiles

I had to do it the way I did because my ground tile isn't a straight line. So if I didn't adjust the fence to go behind it slightly there would've been gaps visible.
I'm assuming your "uneven ground" looks something like this (but better lol):
1613976387767.png

If so, it sounds like you're doing it in a really roundabout and inefficient way. You absolutely don't need to mess with weird tile sizes at all. All can be done with the regular size of your tiles.
  • Make the ground tiles square
  • Add a new tile for extra grass that is able to be placed on top of the ground tiles
  • Add a new tile layer for the fence, behind the one where the extra grass is placed
  • Fence tiles line up with the grid perfectly
  • Bob's your uncle
1613976678267.png

The tile set.
1613976664807.png

I'm assuming your "uneven ground" looks something like this (but better lol):
View attachment 38173

If so, it sounds like you're doing it in a really roundabout and inefficient way. You absolutely don't need to mess with weird tile sizes at all. All can be done with the regular size of your tiles.
  • Make the ground tiles square
  • Add a new tile for extra grass that is able to be placed on top of the ground tiles
  • Add a new tile layer for the fence, behind the one where the extra grass is placed
  • Fence tiles line up with the grid perfectly
  • Bob's your uncle
View attachment 38175

The tile set.
View attachment 38174
While that 100% works for future applications and I'll have to go that route moving forward I'm using a tileset I already designed while working in GMS1.4 in this level so to avoid completely redoing it I had to make it work