• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Idea Adding Imitation GIFs to GM2 Idea

otterZ

I've been wanting to add instructional videos to a project for a while. There are some great looking extensions out there, but if I can avoid adding extensions I will, as I am a bit nervous that a future GM2 update may make it all go pear shaped. Then I got to thinking of adding GIFs as that would be fine for an instructional visual as a kind of 'video', and saw that there was an 'sprite_add_gif' extension for adding GIFs too, but got to thinking of an idea to add what will appear to be GIFs, even though they are not, without using extensions.

(I have no issues with extensions by the way, I just will use them if absolutely necessary only - just a personal choice thing to make things simpler)

Instructional videos I have in mind are for example, salad prep videos, such as using a salad spinner, or different peelers to peel root vegetables etc. For people new to preparing salads at home . . . a basic example but that kind of thing.

So my idea is to make a short video, maybe just using a smart phone for let's say 5 seconds. Then load the video footage onto a PC and take screen shots, let's say at every 0.25 seconds of footage, then resize the PNG images and import them into Gamemaker as a sprite. Or alternately breaking down the video footage into PNGs, then just using a selection of the PNGs to make what will appear to be a GIF in-game.

The reason I am choosing instructional videos over a series of still pictures (some of the time) is that they show actions more clearly and take up less game screen space.

Anyway, just sharing this idea. Probably not a new idea by any means. Someone has maybe done this before and has experience, or can think of a more efficient way, or just for the sake of simply sharing ideas.

Just fun to bat ideas around sometimes :)

Last edited: