• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Extension ActionMaker (free DnD making tool by Goombert)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Hey everyone!

I know someone (mod/admin) is going to tell me this doesn't belong in the Marketplace forum, so if there is somewhere else you think it should go, by all means please move it. I still think it fits here best out of the other options. I think there should really be a "third party tools" forum though.

A friend of mine, Goombert, made a drag and drop action maker for GameMaker Classic and GameMaker Studio 1.4. I got his permission to post it here. It basically can do all of the same things the old one by Mark Overmars does, (the one by Mark can also be used for Studio 1.4). This one was written in HTML5, which means you can use it in your browser! Source code is also available 100% free.

Goombert currently needs Safari testers so feel free to contribute by letting us know if everything works, and if not, what needs to be fixed.

Run it in your browser (HTML5)
Source code on GitHub
Original 64Digits thread

A few things to make note of before using it (quoting Goombert):
There are still some kinks to be worked out, but here is a list of known issues:
* Clipboard actions currently do not work in Chrome and are buggy in Firefox.
* Firefox seems to have a GTK3 issue on Linux which makes the buttons really big and breaks the layout.
* Saving LIB files does not work in any browser except Firefox because it is the only browser which supports the "image/bmp" MIME for canvas.toBlob() and bmp is the mandated image format for LIB files by GameMaker.
* I have not even tested Safari, but I'd be interested to know how that goes for anyone.

Here are some tips:
* Mark Overmar's old library editor does not let you edit official libs which are defined by having a library id less than or equal to 999. ActionMaker does not have this restriction, but if you want to also edit LIB files in the old library editor, then you should set an appropriate library id.
* LGL uses 24x24 pixel icons packed together into a single texture, and when saving to this format, ActionMaker will crop any images you provided to 24x24 while packing them.
* LIB uses 32x32 pixel icons but only the top-left 24x24 area is actually visible, the rest is the transparency color. What ActionMaker will do is crop the image to 32x32 and provide a default black transparency color if your image is only 24x24 or smaller.
Also note that LGL is for LateralGM and not GameMaker, so if you try to save an LGL it won't work in anything other than LateralGM. (LateralGM is a free and open source java-based GameMaker IDE started by ISMAvatar).

Be sure to put the LIB's you make in the LIB folder of your GameMaker directory and restart GameMaker for changes to take effect. Simply click "Help" -> "Open GameMaker in Explorer" to open where the LIB folder is.

Enjoy!
Samuel

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

That looks pretty cool, thanks for posting the link
You're welcome!

I asked @rwkay recently if custom made libs work when importing into GMS 2 and he said yes, but the only thing to make note of is that they will be automatically translated into GML during the import process. So while this can't make libs for GMS 2, you can still import projects that use them from GMS 1.4 into GMS 2 as the GML code equivalents.