• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Action Role Play Dungeon Crawler possible

doomtucan

Yes i am wondering if making an ARPG/DC game using D&D since learning GML has been very hard to understand and very hard to learn without someone helping me understand how coding works and how it would work with what i want to do and was wondering if i can do it with Drag and Drop!?

SoapSud39

I would say it's more of a nobody who's seen this thread really wants to help sort of problem.

Theoretically, anything that is possible with GML is possible with DnD, so to answer your query, yes it should be possible to make ARPG, DC, or anything else within the capabilities of GML.

I would recommend learning GML even if it seems hard or even if you have absolutely no coding experience (GML was how I got into coding). It might seem like a really big task, and I definitely also saw the appeal of DnD when I first started GMS, but eventually, because a lot of the things I wanted to do required the 'function call' block, I realized that there wasn't really much of a difference between DnD and GML in terms of its components. The difference is that GML makes you type everything while DnD basically has everything typed out while you fill in the blanks. If anything, GML is probably actually easier just because it's so much less cluttered than DnD.

It really helps to begin with tutorials. I began with Shaun Spalding's platformer tutorial on Youtube, and I learned a lot about GML through that.

so no one can help or point me in the right direction?
First of all, your question is quite general. 2nd of all, not because there is no activity that noone cares, you need to give time for people to answer. We live in different parts of the world with different time zones so mornings and nights are not all the same.

NOW, that being said. You can absolutely do a game using D&D only. The most difficult part will be when you need multiple ifs and arrays or DS Maps. Dungeon crawlers may most certainly have one of these. I DO understand that you have a pretty good challenge in learning programming, not everyone can program or learn it easily. But GML is one of the easiest languages to learn as it is a high level programming where you can almost read your game without anyprogramming knowledge. For example "if place_meeting(x,y,obj_wall) {speed = 0;}" What we read is if we meet a wall at our current x and y position, set our speed to 0. Just imagine the rest of the code to be as clear as that. The hardest to learn in programming are the shortcuts people use because it's not easy to learn that right away. For example "||" can be used instead of "or" and "&&" can be used instead of "and". These things may be a bit harder to learn at first.

So, to answer your question, YES, GMS was built on the principle of creating games without learning any programming language and they did this with D&D. But as another user stated, learning GML will most definatively unlock the full potential of game creation inside GMS.

Tutorials are good but self-experimenting, I found it to be the best of teachers for me.

Good luck in your project :)

doomtucan

well let me be more specific.. i need an inventory system plus lots of items with random loot drops random stats tiers of rarity on items and choice in skills and class and moving with left mouse button..can all this be done with D&D

HayManMarc

well let me be more specific.. i need an inventory system plus lots of items with random loot drops random stats tiers of rarity on items and choice in skills and class and moving with left mouse button..can all this be done with D&D
Probably yes, but it would be very tedious and almost too cumbersome to cope with. Any game involving the features you're talking about will most likely benefit from data structures and working with code. D&D is more aimed at lower level learning and much less complex game features. This is just my opinion.

doomtucan

i wish i could learn code but as i say everyone learns differently and i learn by someone explaining how i would code something then i write it over and over again till i learn..tutorials especially video tutorials dont help me much so Drag and Drop is my last ditch effort to try and make my game!

woods

then i write it over and over again till i learn.
reciting the times tables as a third grader back in 1978...

tutorials are for showcasing a CONCEPT of how to make a thing work... 99% of the time we will have to adapt that code to work with what we want it to do.. copy/paste just doesnt cut it ;o)
(and its perfectly fine to beat your head against that wall while you watch a thing for the Nth time until you "get it")

great things take time to master.. if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

i would definitely recommend learning GML and start incorporating small bits of code into your DnD project as your needs will outgrow the simplicity of the drag n drop system..
ease into it as you need it.

Toque

those who are able and willing to help you will be in GML. Try a simple game in GML and d and d and you will see.

sylvain_l

Yes i am wondering if making an ARPG/DC game using D&D since learning GML has been very hard to understand and very hard to learn without someone helping me understand how coding works and how it would work with what i want to do and was wondering if i can do it with Drag and Drop!?
I'm going to be less optimistic than the others.

can it be done: YES

can you do it: No, or chance are very slim.
Because if you can't do it in GML, you won't be able to do it in DnD! Because programming in GML or in DnD IS the same thing!
You just replace the action of typing by dragging boxes and filling blank. For the rest which is the most important, the skills required are the same (logic, abstract thinking, problem solving mindset, creativity, etc and of course learning by heart the code/boxes functions/keywords).
My assumption is that if you are struggling learning GML, chance are you are going to struggle as much with DnD.

woods

ok maybe it wasnt 1978.. but dam close enough.. born in dec 73... so 78 would be 5yrs old.. ok early 80s ;o)

regardless.. statement still stands
reciting times tables isnt learning "HOW" ,it is learning "repeat"
you'll need something more like common core..
ex: miles to gallons means how much cash to drive to X town and back ;o)

tutorial = basic function of how a system works..
coding = applying that common core teaching you learned from that tutorial to your specific problem

toque still owes me a rematch
*blows the layer of dust of the original 2600