• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Free Acorn Squirrel Race released

W

Wraithious

Hello from Roadhammer Gaming! I have released a fun 1 - 2 player racing game for Android and windows called Acorn Squirrel Race, I hope you enjoy it!
Please let me know if you like it, hate it, or anything in between, One note on the Android version, I do not own an external keyboard so I could not test the 2 player mode for android, it 'should' work fine, it's also now set up for gamepad use as well in Android but Please let me know if you have any problems with it, thanks and happy gaming!

Acorn Squirrel Race

Did you ever wonder why squirrels run back and forth across the road? They're playing the Acorn Squirrel Race!

play against Compu-squirrel or a friend!

Press ENTER to start, Press ESC to quit the game.
Grey squirrel - move with arrow keys, d pad, and right stick on controller 1
Red squirrel - move with W,A,S,D, d pad and right stick on controller 2

You can turn the sounds on and off and the blood on or off in the options menu at the beginning of the game, both are OFF by default.
Objective- collect acorns of the same color as your squirrel and bring them back across the roads to score points.
The first squirrel to collect 12 acorns wins, there are 10 rounds, you need to win twice to advance to the next round, and each round is harder to complete. After 10 rounds the winner of the game is announced! Good luck!
The game is automatically saved when exiting with the (windows)ESC key or (android)BACK button on device.

Acorn Squirrel race win8+
Acorn Squirrel race win98
Acorn Squirrel race Android

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wraithious

Update:
fixed issue with if player 2 wins in 2 player mode not changing backgrounds on leveling up

I updated all the download links in the OP and also displayed them below for your convenience

Also I got first place for this game in the itch.io Gamemaker Jam (unofficial) 2 BUT it doesn't really count because I was the only person to submit an entry hahahahahahahahaha

W

Wraithious

Tonight I uploaded a twitch stream of some gameplay for Acorn Squirrel Race, Enjoy!

M

mysticjim

Hello. It's an interesting twist on Frogger/Crossy Road type games - although was hoping for a more spectacular car related squirrel roadkill situation when they hit! But I guess I'm just cruel!

W

Wraithious

haha thanks, you can turn the blood on in the options menu, and when the squirrels get hit they spin and you can see their bones and blood, but I could make it better and simulate blood splatter on the screen and leave marks on the road, it would make a good future update!

W

Wraithious

it runs awesome, these are the controls (as posted in the original post of this topic)
Press ENTER to start, Press ESC to quit the game.
Grey squirrel - move with arrow keys
Red squirrel - move with W,A,S,D
(ANDROID- must use external keyboard for 2 player mode)
You can turn the sounds on and off and the blood on or off in the options menu at the beginning of the game, both are OFF by default.

W

Wraithious

Hello from Roadhammer Gaming, I have just updated Acorn Squirrel race, now in blood mode there is much more blood, ( thanks @mysticjim for the suggestion) added gamepad support for both 1 and 2 player modes, and fixed an annoying bug in the windows versions that sometimes occurred when exiting the game! Noting again on the Android version, I do not own an external keyboard so I could not test the 2 player mode for android, it 'should' work fine, it's also now set up for gamepad use as well in Android but Please let me know if you have any problems with it, thanks and happy gaming!
ss5.png

all links above updated also

W

Wraithious

Updated 5/17/17 with new features!
-Added in-game level timer
-Added multiple game sessions for up to 1000 game plays before restarting game
-Added in game menu that includes-
game and level stats, best game/level scores, level and game times, gameplay info,
Options menu including changing 1-2 players, add/remove gamepads, sound and blood options, and the credits screen.
Long press the menu button or cycle through all menus to return to game.
-Fixed no level 10 and other minor issues

all above posts links updated
New windows download links:

M

mysticjim

Updated 5/17/17 with new features!
-Added in-game level timer
-Added multiple game sessions for up to 1000 game plays before restarting game
-Added in game menu that includes-
game and level stats, best game/level scores, level and game times, gameplay info,
Options menu including changing 1-2 players, add/remove gamepads, sound and blood options, and the credits screen.
Long press the menu button or cycle through all menus to return to game.
-Fixed no level 10 and other minor issues

New windows download links:
Hi dude

I'll be featuring your game in the games round up on the podcast tomorrow :)

Jim

W

Wraithious

UPDATE 9/5/17
- Fixed issue with menu showing after pressing start if menu wasn't closed on start screen
- Fixed possible controller malfunction upon disconnecting controllers
- ANDROID VERSION ONLY - Disabled ads on start screen and added incentive to watch ad in game and receive Secret Squirel way pass for each ad watched. What is a 'secret squirrel way' you ask? it is a slang term locals use when they take shortcuts that out-of-towners don't know about! You can use your pass(s) whenever you want and they allow you to not get hit by cars for a period of time (about 1 minute)

New windows download links (Android link will always be the same):

W

Wraithious

UPDATE 5/10/18 ANDROID VERSION ONLY
asr.png
!IMPORTANT!: If you allrerady have this game installed and wish to update it you must clear the app's data and then uninstall it before downloading the new version and installing it or it will crash when it attempts to load saved data from the old version's filesystem. Also note that your old saved game will be lost. there is nothing I can do to prevent this, sorry for any inconvenience. If you don't live in Europe you can safely ignore this update. The proper way to do this is in your android device go to Settings>apps>Acorn Squirrel Race>Storage and click Clear data>OK. Then download and install the app.