Audio About Youtube audio library

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by FeNniX, Dec 14, 2019.

1. FeNniX

FeNniX Member

Hey! I was wondering if we could use music from Youtube audio library in our games. Does anyone know about this? Is it allowed? I just wasn't able to find conclusive answer. If anyone knows something about it response would be greatly appreciated.

2. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Obviously I am not a lawyer, but the Terms and Conditions state that:
    Whilst a game could fall under "other content you create" the audio files under default GMS circumstances would be bundled "as-is" along with the game exe / data.win and so I think would break the T&Cs requirement that "standalone distribution of these files is not allowed".

You might be able to get around that with various methods to make it so the file aren't bundled "as-is" in the game directory, but I really don't think it would be worth it just to be safe.

As usual with legal issues, the best advice is given elewhere on an info page regarding the Audio Library:

FeNniX likes this.
  3. FeNniX

FeNniX Member

Thanks for reply.

Is there anybody who actually used music from youtube audio library and everything turned out fine?

4. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Even if there were, things could've just "turned out fine" because Youtube's lawyers didn't notice anything that one time. That doesn't mean you won't run into trouble.

FeNniX likes this.
  5. FeNniX

FeNniX Member

Maybe you are right. From my point of view, as just beginner developer, it's worth the try. "Getting over it", for example, used music from there and it is quite big game.

6. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

How do you know Bennett Foddey didn't sign an agreement to specifically licence whatever music he used for his game with the original musician?

If you'd already made your mind up that it's "worth a try" then why even bother making a thread to ask if it's ok?
    Email Youtube, or Google, or even better track down the original musician and contact them for permission to use / a price to licence whatever music you want to use in your game.

There's loads of great quality and royalty free music out there that is completely free or so cheap that I don't understand why you'd want to risk using something with ambiguous T&Cs on the off chance that you might get away with it.

nacho_chicken likes this.
  7. nacho_chicken

nacho_chicken Member

Most of this has already been covered, but I might as well break it down.

Except on the ridiculously small chance someone here is a lawyer, the answer is no.

If on the off-chance a lawyer showed up and decided to comment, they wouldn't be answering your question. Giving legal advice off the cuff is extremely unethical and opens them up to litigation from people on the internet who take their advice (i.e. you). They would instead likely parrot what others have said: "Talk to your attorney first. If you don't have one, get one."

It's really best to find resources that have a clear license so you don't have to worry about the extra expense of an attorney.

Yal and rIKmAN like this.