• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

About to buy GMS2, just have a few questions.

S

Sombernaut

Hi there. I'm using the demo version and loving this tool! I'm about to buy it on sale on Steam.
My questions are:
- With this 3 computer limit, if I need to format/change computers more than 3 times, can I? (I'm about to travel to Russia, and I'll probably be using an old computer, and will buy a new one when possible)
- When I buy GMS2, do I win a free GMS1 key? If so, can I give this key for a friend?

Thanks!

K

Kuro

When you buy GMS2 on steam; the GMS1 you get isn't a key for steam as far as I know*, just access to 1.x (download via the yoyo games account management area) and its tied to your account so it's not possible to give it to a friend. It's more something that's provided your own use.

As for the 3 limit, I'm afraid I don't know how the process works so can't comment. But I'm sure someone who knows will reply before long.

*I already had 1.x on steam when I bought 2.

S

Sombernaut

Thanks a lot. I'll wait for more info! :)
Also, when I buy GMS2, I have the license forever to publish games for Desktop, right?
And if I buy a license for ios/android, do I have it forever as well or do I have to pay it per year?

G

I would submit a request to YYG regarding the 3 computer thing, as I doubt many people here have tested that, unless @Mike or @rwkay know offhand. YYG is very fast and responsive to submitted requests, so you'll get an answer. The FAQ suggests you can install and remove it on multiple computers just not use it on more than three at once.

The desktop and mobile licenses for GMS2 are permanent. You will not need to renew them or pay an additional amount beyond the initial price. The only exceptions to the permanent licenses are the annual console licenses and the annual "ultimate" license (which gives access to the console exports).

You do not get a steam key for 1.4. It just appears as downloadable in your YYG account. I have no idea why they do this or what the point would be in using 1.4 if you're developing for GMS2.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sombernaut

Thanks again! :)
I'll email them to be sure. I just need to know that, because I'm super excited to buy it.
But in the next 5 months maybe I'll need to change computers at least 5 times :/

G

Cool. I edited to add a link to the email submission page. It was kind of buried.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
- With this 3 computer limit, if I need to format/change computers more than 3 times, can I? (I'm about to travel to Russia, and I'll probably be using an old computer, and will buy a new one when possible)
Since the original softwrap scheme (3 reinstalls) had people contacting the helpdesk periodically to renew installs, GMS (and GMS2) use a scheme with simultaneous use.

So you can have the license activated on any number of computers, but only 3 of them may use it at the same time.

Therefore it is a good idea to simply log out of GMS2 when moving from a computer permanently (otherwise it'll stick for a month before requiring to re-enter details, I think)

S

Sombernaut

Since the original softwrap scheme (3 reinstalls) had people contacting the helpdesk periodically to renew installs, GMS (and GMS2) use a scheme with simultaneous use.

So you can have the license activated on any number of computers, but only 3 of them may use it at the same time.

Therefore it is a good idea to simply log out of GMS2 when moving from a computer permanently (otherwise it'll stick for a month before requiring to re-enter details, I think)
Amazing. So, if I'm not using it at the same time, I can use it in as many different computers as I want? I can format my PC, buy a new one, use it in another country, I will have no problem? I don't mean to share it with anyone, I just don't want to buy a new account if I need to use new pcs often.

G

Amazing. So, if I'm not using it at the same time, I can use it in as many different computers as I want? I can format my PC, buy a new one, use it in another country, I will have no problem? I don't mean to share it with anyone, I just don't want to buy a new account if I need to use new pcs often.
Yes, sounds like that is exactly the case; YellowAfterlife can be relied on.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
As to the GMS1 license then you do get access to GMS1 but it is through your YoYo account (you do not get a license key) so you cannot give that to your friend.

Russell

S

Sombernaut

As to the GMS1 license then you do get access to GMS1 but it is through your YoYo account (you do not get a license key) so you cannot give that to your friend.
Thanks for the clarification. :) I'll just tell him to buy the software when he can. He will be learning on trial by the time being.