• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

about the tilemaps and layers

S

Shadowblitz16

I like what you guys have done however about the tilemaps and layers

tilemaps
problem:
these are very confusing when it comes to drawing tiles for one at first look like you can draw them from a tileset however experimenting with gms2 more I realized it takes more effort then it should to draw these little guys.

suggestion:
it would make much more sense to have a draw_tile and draw_tilemap for convenience purposes
the argument could go as followed

draw_tilemap(tilemap, layer, tile_x, tile_y tile_width, tile_height, x, y)
draw_tile(tileset, layer, tile_y, tile_x tile_width, tile_height, x, y)

it renaming these function should make it clearer to users as well

layers
problem:
when it comes to getting a layers making the user have to get different layer types is a little annoying.
not only does the player have to differentiate form layer types they also have to get the ids.

suggestion:
removing layer types and making all layers universal would fix most of this and is a lot easier to understand
also changing layer ids to layer indexes would make things so much easier to use to
layer indexes would be the order that the layers are in
this also might speed up performance since you can make gamemaker only compile the layers added to the room.
keeping in sublayers would be fine too as long as they were index based

S

Shadowblitz16

hmm well I guess that could be
I thought compiling with only the specified layers would be work

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
In code, layers ARE universal, and you can have instance, tiles and backgrounds (even particle systems!) all on a single layer. That's why we have the layer_element_ functions so that you can differentiate between different element types on a single layer.

S

Shadowblitz16

@Nocturne
hmm that cool then I guess I just assumed since they look like they are for those types of objects only