• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows About the new "workspaces"...

M

Mikael.K

Game Makers workflow has become slow and counterintuitive because of how they work.

Is the code editor out of view? Want to move that code editor window to the left so you can see all the code? Too bad... you can only move the code editor up and down because it's chained to the event window, which is chained to the object window... you have to move the entire workspace with all the windows inside of it to have the code editor in center of screen.
That is slow and annoying imo.

Why not just let us click and move all the windows freely and have them overlap each other? It's a lot more intuitive and fast.

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
Don't know if the overlap setting here will help you but it might.

Or may be get familiar with the navigation keys, like Ctrl+Alt+Arrows, or Double-click the title bar of the panel you want to focus on.

Mick

Is the code editor out of view? Want to move that code editor window to the left so you can see all the code? Too bad... you can only move the code editor up and down because it's chained to the event window, which is chained to the object window... you have to move the entire workspace with all the windows inside of it to have the code editor in center of screen.
I agree with you on this one, I don't really have the need to move the code window up or down, I'd rather see that dragging the code window would drag the object window and event window with it.

The workspaces will take some time to get used to and they can still be improved imo, GMS2 is still in beta. The navigation keys @xot mentioned are very important to know. :)

GMWolf

aka fel666
At first I was quite disappointed with the UI. It can be counter intuitive and isnt always the easiest thing to navigate.

But after a month I got much better at it, still I think there are some problems.

The linked workflow is very strange: it would seem like it shows ownership; the events window is linked to the object it belongs to. And the code windows are linked to the event they belong to.
However, when middle clikick a script in code, it will link the newly opened window to the previous. Even though the code does to belong to it.