• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android .aab App Signing Unsupported?

"Important: To use Android App Bundles, the recommended app publishing format, you need to enroll in app signing by Google Play before uploading your app bundle on the Play Console."

Will this be supported in the future and how does one do this in the meantime. All the topics I can find on the subject have no replies...

Bonus question... why is the GMS2 keystore global across all projects... šŸ˜­

chirpy

GMS2 does support .aab archiving since 2.2.4 (or 2.2.5? not sure); it's done by selecting .aab as the file format when archiving for android.
You should be able to enable app signing in Google Play Console under "Release Management" -> "App Signing" (default enabled).

GMS2 does support .aab archiving since 2.2.4 (or 2.2.5? not sure); it's done by selecting .aab as the file format when archiving for android.
You should be able to enable app signing in Google Play Console under "Release Management" -> "App Signing" (default enabled).
.aab exports fine, it's just the moment it uploads I get the error. When you say default enabled what are you referring to? Only options I see are Android Studio, the Java PEPK, or non-Java.

None of the GMS2 guides refer to any of them, and I'm a fish out of water. šŸ¤”

chirpy

@Terminator_Pony
The app signing feature is done on Google Play Console backend; it means that Google replaces your signing key after your .aab is uploaded to Google.
It's not related to GMS2 nor Android Studio.
Where did you see the "Android Studio", "Java PEPK", "non-Java" options? I'm not familiar with those.

The "Release Management" tab I mentioned is in Google Play Console -> All Applications -> Your app.

Here's the official doc about upload key and app signing key:
https://developer.android.com/studio/publish/app-signing

@chirpy

EDIT: This quoted part about my new App was solved by creating a new keystore
So I started a new App in the console, which gives me the upload error referenced at the top of this thread:
Still not sure about my other app though: I had opted out for that one after struggling for awhile. Here's what I was referring to in that app's console:
I need to find a way to change the upload keystore?

Last edited:

chirpy

This looks like you can opt in using Java or non-Java keystore, that is the one generated by GMS2 and that you used to sign the uploaded apk.
I have no idea whether it's a Java keystore or not, but hopefully the upload process will check it? Or, you can ask YYG help desk to be 100% sure.

For opting in, here's Google's official guide (Opt in to app signing by Google Play -> Existing Apps). The term "your app signing key" was a bit ambiguous in your screenshot, but in the guide it's clearly "your original app signing key" which is the one generated by GMS2. It will then be stored in Google server and used as your production AAB signing key in Google-protected signing process.

You can then optionally replace your upload key (originally it is the same key with the production APK signing key, but cannot be used to sign AABs because you did not opt in to Google-protected app signing process).

That's about it. Worst case, you only need to contact Google's support team to clarify and fix the keys for you.

H

harambe1

@Terminator_Pony Hello! Have you resolved this issue yet? I am having the same problem and its so annoying. They automatically did it for my previous app but now I want to upload a new app and there is no way to upload the key from GMS2 :(

chirpy

I can upload apk's just fine, but I wanted to upload aab :( and they require app signing for aab
Yes, I meant we can just upload it and use aab now (with app signing enabled). Google has changed the workflow so it would not cause much issue.
The only time you'd need to worry about signing, is when you're testing achievements and leaderboard.
Google had provided an official way to handle this now, that is, we can add the GMS2 key by linking the same app with a 2nd key in Google Play Console.

H

harambe1

Yes, I meant we can just upload it and use aab now (with app signing enabled). Google has changed the workflow so it would not cause much issue.
The only time you'd need to worry about signing, is when you're testing achievements and leaderboard.
Google had provided an official way to handle this now, that is, we can add the GMS2 key by linking the same app with a 2nd key in Google Play Console.
Hello again! thanks for the reply. Could you please explain what you mean by "just upload it and use aab with app signing enabled"? In the first place i cannot enable app signing without them asking for the key. And i cant upload any aab too without enabling app signing

chirpy

@harambe1
Ah, sorry I did not understand your situation then. In my case app signing was enabled by default, which is what I meant by "just upload aab".
To opt in afterwards, you'll need to locate and upload your .keystore file, which should be shown in gms2 preferences -> Platform Settings -> Android -> Keystore -> Filename
From this document the .keystore file sounds like it's a Java keystore.

If it didn't work, or you cannot find the opt in page, you should probably contact Google Play Console's dev/tech support.

H

harambe1

@harambe1
Ah, sorry I did not understand your situation then. In my case app signing was enabled by default, which is what I meant by "just upload aab".
To opt in afterwards, you'll need to locate and upload your .keystore file, which should be shown in gms2 preferences -> Platform Settings -> Android -> Keystore -> Filename
From this document the .keystore file sounds like it's a Java keystore.

If it didn't work, or you cannot find the opt in page, you should probably contact Google Play Console's dev/tech support.
Yep! that's my situation. For my previous apps what youre saying worked just fine, but they just recently vhanged how thing sowrk. I also reported this to Yoyo but they just said what you said, in a much more condescending way, without even checking. Thanks I might take it up to Google