Design A way to recover health?

T

Thexel PIN

I'll cut to the chase.
In my game, when you kill enemies you earn experience (Those green dots). How can I make the player recover health? There's no items, and I would like to avoid "special enemies" that can give you health. Just to be sure a player can play without killing anyone if they want.

L

lolando player

To late, i guess; a good way to do that is make the recov before a time pass doing nothing(sorry my english is rusty)

T

Thexel PIN

To late, i guess; a good way to do that is make the recov before a time pass doing nothing(sorry my english is rusty)
The problem with that is that it is impossible. With constant bullet patterns there is no way to stay still for even a second.

T

Thexel PIN

If you don't get hit for X seconds, you start regening health?
I really would like to avoid recovering health after X time in any method. It kills any last hopes to a player that is near death to recover health.

R

Remer1

What about for each second it gradually recovers 20 health and like that.

chamaeleon

Not firing your weapon for a short period of time allows the ship to spend energy (conceptually, not necessarily a thing that need to be implemented representing energy) on repairs instead? I have no idea if this is an option for your game play ("constant bullet patterns" doesn't quite tell me if moving around without shooting is an option).

T

Thexel PIN

I mean there is a way to not shoot at all but I prefer to see it as a challenge rather than something you must do to recover health.

M

MrPr1993

Maybe making something like a combo and that for every level cleared, you recover health depending on your score?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Vlambeer's game LUFTRAUSERS has a system where you recover HP constantly whenever you're not shooting, and coupled with you not dying if you touch an enemy (both them and you lose HP, and most enemies has so low HP they die really quickly from crashing into you) and you generally turning slower when shooting, this means you're encouraged to fire in bursts and then switch over to healing up for a while. Notably, there's no punishment for MOVING AROUND while healing.

S

Storyteller

perhaps a small shield, that has a lmited amount of power or a use/recover cycle. while it is active, bullets (at least energy based attacks) heal you instead of hurting you. Have say 1-3 seconds of shield 'ON' that requires 9-15 seconds of 'OFF' to replenish. This creates a system of skill, that still encourages dodging and shooting, but can be used with precision to restore health. Since it is limited, you cannot simply hit the button really fast, you must 'use' the shield. Making it only absorb energy weapon attacks makes it able to be penetrated by missiles, other ships and obstacles.

Genetix

Not sure how you feel about it - but could there 'crates' (or something like) that could be shot and reward health orbs? A bit different then enemies that do so - and give the player a good sense of reward when found. Also would boost the sense of exploration.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
maybe you could recover health over time? Like if you aren't shot for x seconds, you start recovering y hp per step? That's what I do every time :)

T

Thexel PIN

Maybe making something like a combo and that for every level cleared, you recover health depending on your score?
I love this! Obviously I don't think it depends on combo since as I said I want to reward the player for shooting everything as much as I want to reward him for not shooting at all. Maybe when grasping bullets could be an option to replace combos?

T

Thexel PIN

Not sure how you feel about it - but could there 'crates' (or something like) that could be shot and reward health orbs? A bit different then enemies that do so - and give the player a good sense of reward when found. Also would boost the sense of exploration.
But how would you find the crates?

T

Thexel PIN

maybe you could recover health over time? Like if you aren't shot for x seconds, you start recovering y hp per step? That's what I do every time :)
There is no "steps" in my game... I appreciate the help tho. And the objective IS to not get shot at all, so you would have to avoid getting shot anyway (also kills hope for bad players that would constantly get shot and wouldn't be able to recover health).

John Andrews

Living Enigma
There is no "steps" in my game... I appreciate the help tho. And the objective IS to not get shot at all, so you would have to avoid getting shot anyway (also kills hope for bad players that would constantly get shot and wouldn't be able to recover health).
What!? How does the game work then??? :eek:

NeoShade

Drawing inspiration from the combo idea, what if there was a system where if you destroy a certain number of enemies within a certain time frame, then a health pickup appears. For example:

Each time an enemy is destroyed, it leaves behind a small amount of energy (maybe represented by particles on the screen). This small amount alone isn't enough to activate your ship's self-repair mechanism, but if you can gather enough energy in a short period of time then it can provide a massive boost to your ship's hull strength.

T

Thexel PIN

Drawing inspiration from the combo idea, what if there was a system where if you destroy a certain number of enemies within a certain time frame, then a health pickup appears. For example:

Each time an enemy is destroyed, it leaves behind a small amount of energy (maybe represented by particles on the screen). This small amount alone isn't enough to activate your ship's self-repair mechanism, but if you can gather enough energy in a short period of time then it can provide a massive boost to your ship's hull strength.
Then how are people trying not to shoot anyone recover health?

NeoShade

I don't know dude. I just came up with one idea. Perhaps you need to consider several methods of health regen?!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Then how are people trying not to shoot anyone recover health?
How about enemies leaving a trail of energy behind them all the time, and when you shoot them it stays where they died for a bit, but you can pick it up just by being near them. It's more efficient to be near them without shooting since groups of enemies have a lot of energy, so pacifist players recover more health, which nicely compensates for the increased risk of damage.

G

GenaCtoto

Maybe let player click pause and spend some xp to buy repar for the ship and restore health.

crisiworks

I liked the shield idea - throw on the shield and let it absorb enemy shots to regain health. It changes up the flow of the game.