Idea A warioware-like platformer.

JRetrioX

I've been thinking of making a short WarioWare-like platformer. If you aren't familiar with WarioWare, it's a game where you beat random, fast-paced minigames in a short amount of time until you reach the final boss. My idea would be a stick of dynamite trying to reach the exit of each minigame before he explodes. The minigames would each have five different game mechanics that are based on the five stages of grief. For example, Denial minigames are about trying to get access to the exit by hitting a switch and Bargaining minigames would be all about grabbing items and delivering them. I made a bunch of sketches of the concept a few years ago. I've had this idea for a long time now, looking at it now it could definitely use some feedback. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

20210618_233726.jpg20210618_233750.jpg20210618_234919.jpg20210618_234803.jpg

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Part of the Warioware idea is bombarding you with a stream of unexpected weirdness, having every minigame be based on the same game mechanic would kinda counter to that philosophy, but it also would let you design more challenging and complex minigames (since the player already know how to play them thanks to using the same platformer physics in every minigame, while in Warioware they need to figure out how the mechanics work in just a few seconds)

One mistake I've seen some Wario-likes do is having minigames that take too long (e.g. 30+ seconds) and just feel like a punishment to experience, you should be mindful off this and try to keep the tempo up so you don't have random minigames that kill the pace completely. You don't necessarily need to make every minigame take 5 seconds, but it's good if you have consistent playtimes and tempo for every minigame.