• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Mechanics A term for side-scrollers with depth? (Castle Crashers, Golden Axe, etc?)

C

ChadSpence

Hey, guys. First post here in yeeeears!

I'm trying to figure out if there's a specific term for side-scrolling games that integrate depth.

If you've ever played games like Castle Crashers, River City Ransom, Golden Axe, Battletoads, Double Dragon, etc.
All of these games allow movement on the Y-axis to walk around obstacles, enemies, etc.

I'm looking to develop a game in this way, but I'm not sure what it's even called.

Thanks!

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Wikipedia says the commonly-used perspective is "cabinet projection" (one of many oblique projections), assuming you're asking about the art style and not the game style. (The game style, I think is called "scrolling beat-'em-up", to contrast from vs fighters like Street Fighter and Tekken)
1585854962667.png

Mick

(The game style, I think is called "scrolling beat-'em-up", to contrast from vs fighters like Street Fighter and Tekken)
Generally it's just "Beat 'em up", scrolling is assumed in a beat 'em up. Street Fighter and Tekken are fighting games, although a few Tekken games have beat 'em up sections.

By the way, Golden Axe and games like that (with swords and melee weapons mainly) are also called "Hack 'n Slash". I really like that term myself, it's so fitting. :)

Wikipedia says the commonly-used perspective is "cabinet projection" (one of many oblique projections), assuming you're asking about the art style and not the game style. (The game style, I think is called "scrolling beat-'em-up", to contrast from vs fighters like Street Fighter and Tekken)
View attachment 29846
I thought you were saying this type of game category was 'potting bench' at first

Also isn't this type of game just restricted top down?

Niels

It's basically just top-down with depthsorting and a jump state. From there on you can add genre specific mechanics

Meatjunk

They're called brawlers
Beat-em-up is ambiguous, at least when I was a kid, as that term meant fighting games and brawlers

Depth sort by doing "depth = -y". Probably also have to do something funky to figure out if the player is jumping or not, a rudimentary z variable probably to get collisions right.
I remember doing a fps in gm6.1 (without registration). Pretty neat but tedious.

Kelly G

Back in the 80s/90s magazines called it "3/4 perspective". After searching google, it looks like the term is still relevant.

H

honeybone82

i like to refer to brawlers as vertically challenged dungeon crawlers

H

honeybone82

we need a brawler mmorpg, get the boys down in research on it, chop chop.