• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

A sequel loading the original's save

T

ThePropagation

See title, I want to make a series of games that looks for saves from a previous title, how do I get it to look for a save file? I'm not sure about where the file is going to be on someone's system.

On Windows/Mac you can prompt the player to locate the file for you by using the function get_open_filename().

You could make sure your games all save files to the same location so you know where to look for them. If you disable file system sandboxing in GMS 2, you can save in some common location like maybe the users Documents\Saves\<my game>. If you don't find any save there, then you can prompt the user to point you to it via get_open_filename().

See the sections in the manual File Handling and File System Limits for more info on how files work in GMS and what functions are available.

TailBit

Platform spesific saving, under file_system mentions
%localappdata%\<Game Name>
That's where I would recommend putting them.

But atm there are already a ton of games that makes random folders for themselves in "my documents" to which extend that I made my own folder for it instead *rant rant rant* :p