1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

A Quick Survey You Can Fill Out To Help Me Out With My Next Game

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by WimpyLlama, Feb 26, 2019.

1. WimpyLlama

WimpyLlama Member

Hey, could you all do me a huge favor and quickly fill out this survey. I am trying to get information on what kind of games I should make. Survey link: https://goo.gl/forms/vMk3gvM2XybCmQpu2

2. deem93

deem93 Member

If this survey is to help you decide on the direction for your new game then maybe you should rethink some of the questions and available answers.
    I imagine that realistic 3d graphics and multiplayer might be out of the realm of possibilities for an independent game designer.

3. WimpyLlama

WimpyLlama Member

This survey is mostly just to get an idea of what people want. I am not going to do exactly the answers people give. I just don't want to make a game that people end up hating so I am trying to get a rough estimate of what people like.

4. Taddio

Taddio Member

There's a market for everything (tho sometimes quite niche and hard to reach). My advice is do what YOU would like to play, and start caring about this stuff a little further up the line, when your player "type" is established.
    Someone who plays Candy Crush and The Sims won't offer much to you opinion-wise if you do a rated-M sci-fi post-apocalyptic fighting game with lots of gore. It could even divert you from your original great idea.
    Democracy and other people's opinion are wayyyy overrated when it comes to art and making stuff, if you ask me.
    Oh, and survey's done for me :)

5. WimpyLlama

WimpyLlama Member

Right now I don't really know what I want to make. Every time I come up with an idea I always end up either not using it or working on it for some while then losing interest. If I know I have a game idea that people will like I will have more motivation to create it.

6. Lioran

Lioran Member

Personally, I believe one can not make a good game if they don't fully understand the type of game they are making.
    If you make a game others want to play instead of a game you would like to play. There is no way you understand what you're making since you're making it for someone else desire.

So to me saying "I want to know what people want" is not a good mentality to start with. If people say They want a fighting game... I don't play that but I have a good understanding of how they work and control. With that said, I don't understand what makes them fun, else I'd be playing them. So I can make a fighting game that will look coherent, but will it be fun or balanced? Probably not.

It's a problem most big company are suffering from, they are not making games for gamers anymore. They are making games for investors and most games are dead on arrival or dead after a year or so and nobody will remember them fondly.

And I can't remember who said that but, People don't know what they want anyway. They think they want something but turns out when they get it they think it's not that great. That's just the reality of it. How many times in my life have I thought, I really want to play this right now. Then I start to play and I'm like, Yeah, not having that much fun.

Consumers should never dictate what the artist does.

Sn3akyP1xel and Taddio like this.
  7. WimpyLlama

WimpyLlama Member

As I said earlier, I have no idea what I want to make, I just know I want to make a game. I am asking people so maybe I will get inspired to find out what I should make. I am not going to make exactly what people say. I am still going to make a game I want to make, just with some elements of things people want.

8. Taddio

Taddio Member

This might (should) give you some ideas
    :)