A problem with ds_list_find_index

Zefyrinus

Hi! I'm having a lot of problems with ds_lists. Explaining my project and stuff would take ages, so I'm cutting right to the problem. In a for-loop I'm searching for given values in a ds_list (the first line in this code). The next two show_message lines tell me that in position 0 in this ds_list, the value 0 is indeed stored. But the last two lines show me that found_value = -1. That is to say, in the first line of this code, the value 0 doesn't get found in the ds_list pref_movement, even though I know for a fact that it's at least stored in pref_movement[0]. Can anyone figure out what's going on? :confused:
Code:
found_value = ds_list_find_index(pref_movement, i);
show_message("pref_movement[0] is:");
show_message(string(ds_list_find_value(pref_movement,0)));
show_message("found_value is:");
show_message(string(found_value));
EDIT: Oh, and I have GM 6.1. :oops:

Last edited:

TheouAegis

So you're saying this code:
Code:
i = 0;
Is returning this series of messages:

pref_movement[0] is
found_value is:
Correct?

So, did you add 0 to the list or did you add "0" to the list? Double-check that you didn't accidentally put quote marks in your code. Also if you're reading from a file and storing the read data from the tile into the list, make sure you're reading the data as reals and not strings.

Zefyrinus

Sorry for not replying in ages!

So you're saying this code:
Code:
i = 0;
Is returning this series of messages:

Correct?

So, did you add 0 to the list or did you add "0" to the list? Double-check that you didn't accidentally put quote marks in your code. Also if you're reading from a file and storing the read data from the tile into the list, make sure you're reading the data as reals and not strings.
No, I did like this:
Code:
found_value = ds_list_find_index(pref_movement, 0);
I'm not reading anything from files. When I run the game, it shows those messages you just wrote.

TheouAegis

Post the code you used to create the list.

Make sure you actually assigned a value to index 0 in the list.
And again, make sure you actually put 0 and not "0" in the list.

As has been stated too, it's possible it's a bug in GM6, which is ridiculously old.

S

Salvakiya

not sure I understand... but I might understand the question... just to make sure we are on the same page the following is true:

list[|0] = 1
list[|1] = 123

ds_list_find_index(list, 1) = 0
ds_list_find_value(list, 1) = 123

i know you said you are using 6.1 so you dont have accessors but act like list[|X] is ds_list_add

find_index will find the INDEX which contains given value
find_value will find the VALUE at the given index

Zefyrinus

Oh. My. God! >________________________________________< I found the problem. I thought I'd never solve it. It turns out that it's not enough to just use ds_list_create, if you're using ds_list_replace, like I had at some points, it doesn't work if no values have been added to the list to begin with. So in the creation event of this object, I added zeroes to pref_movemen[0]-[3], and after that everything worked. >__________< Thanks for taking your time trying to solve this everyone!