• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam A One Hit Point Uprising

TehPilot

More screenshots: 1 2 3

For years, peaceful peasants have tended to their land with assorted pitchforks. They are ruled by an evil overlord, a huge jerk who basks in the fact no hero exists to stop him. Having had enough, the peasantry elects to take up battle against him and his constituents with the only two things they have: pitchforks, and numbers.
What is this game?
A One Hit Point Uprising is an isometric-perspective adventure game where you attempt to get to the Evil Overlord himself, poking things with pitchforks and trying not to fall prey to other hazards. Every nameless peasant has but one hit point to their name, making the slightest brush with death a certain end. Levels take you through the countryside and the Evil Overlord's castle itself, upgrading your farming implement with money collected along the way.

This game was created for the GMC Jam #2, where it took home the honorable ranking of Fourth Place. The original entry post is right over here. @TheFugue contributed his musical talent again for this game.

How do I play it?
Download, extract the ZIP file, and run the proper executable inside. The original GMC Jam release is a single executable, while the secondary release is a packaged ZIP export.

DOWNLOAD, v1.2 (Post-Jam release) - 7.76MB
MD5: 9EFCB7D18B41E425881208C3620A2FB6

DOWNLOAD, v1.1 (Jam release) - 7.36MB
MD5: 7C5CB462FD33189CC6A5D223017C6C2F
v1.2
- Added a new level (Castle 7)
- Fixed a glitch where a merchant could be bought from repeatedly (caused crashes later)
- Changed color palettes a bit
- Removed spike pattern puzzles (all spikes are static now)
- Enemy ninjas now move every other action, instead of every action
- Upped enemy health across the board, save for the weakest slimes and the Overlord
- Rescripted the Overlord; now spawns enemies at different health intervals and has a new attack (for pitchfork upgrade 2+ and below 25% HP)
- Removed death/iteration tracking, as it no longer matters
- HUD now highlights direction you're moving
- Can now hold X to turn in place instead of moving
- Moved a couple of level objects and NPCs around

v1.1
- Initial release (game jam version)

Will there be any future changes or additions?
I think this one post-Jam update covers the majority of things I wanted to do with the update. Shifting spike puzzles did not work out - I had them designed, but never implemented in the original release. I tried it again and found those designs were still not too great, so I took all of that stuff out. I took into account a good deal of the feedback on things like controls, combat, and visuals to make adjustments across the board. I feel the original Jam entry wasn't necessarily up to standards, but the post-Jam release is. Barring any discovery of serious glitches, I'm content to leave this one as is.

Overall, it was a fun time trying my hand at something new to me (isometric perspective). It's a gameplay/visual format worth revisiting in the future.

Last edited:
U

unseenjoker

looks fun I think I will give it a try tonight when I get off work lol

KurtBlissZ

This game is done very well overall, and the theme for the jam was done very well.

This game has plenty of skill based gameplay but there is some luck factor in when fighting enemies, I wonder how you would make it more skill base unless they have patterns I didn't notice. I wasn't sure if there was a way to buy things with your coins, I probably have to play this game again but My first time playing through here I won with #74 and $524.

I see TheFugue is still alive, I haven't seen him since the sandbox days. Anyway great job, this was by far my favorite out of all the GMC Jam #2 games I played.

Last edited: