A new way to share GML online - objShare!

C

Chris

I hope this is the correct place to post this on the forums, if it isn't please feel free to change it or let me know. This was originally posted on reddit and can be found here.

Hello GameMaker enthusiasts,

I often find that help-seeking posts that have to do with GML are poorly formatted and difficult to follow. Even when they are properly formatted, it can be a chore to scroll through a wall of code representing all the events from a given object.

Additional, writing help posts is equally as frustrating. If you have code in the create event, step event, draw begin, room end, and so on, you have to copy all of your code into a small text editor online and indent it nicely and ensure it looks proper. Even once you've done this, the output is all gray text, and doesn't look pretty.

For these reasons, I've created objShare!

objShare is an open source, online application that makes it easy to share basic GameMaker: Studio objects that only use GML over the internet. It was designed to feel familiar to the object editor found in GameMaker: Studio.

Here are some of the features:

- Manage all events possible in GM: S
- GML syntax highlighting with support for GM: S and GMS 2 iterations of GML
- GML autocompletion and argument hints with support for GM: S and GMS 2 iterations of GML
- Manage all object properties except for sprites, parent/child relationships, and physics masks
- Sharing objects through permalinks
- Exporting objects to GM: S format

I plan on continuing my work with the project to expand this feature list in the future as well!

My intent is that when seeking help over the internet, people will be able to use objShare as a way to share their code in an easier to read, more familiar format. In addition, objShare can be used as a way to quickly jot down ideas for GameMaker on the go, as the site is mobile friendly.

The project is still growing, and you may encounter a few bugs, so please don't hesitate to visit the GitHub Page for more info, or to submit an issue.

I'd also like to make a shoutout to YellowAfterlife, who created the amazing GMLive. With his permission, I've used his code to bring GML syntax highlighting and autocompletion to objShare. Without him, this project would not have been possible.

Please feel free to get in touch if you have any suggestions or comments. Enjoy!

Edited for better formatting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hyomoto

Does this work with GM2? I kid. That's pretty cool, I really hope it helps people out. The GM community benefits greatly from this!

C

CedSharp

This is awesome!
If you support the ace editor maybe you could add the default themes in the settings?
I really would rather have a dark syntax highlight than a light one.

Otherwise great work. I specially love the permalink option!

C

Chris

Thanks for feedback folks!

If you support the ace editor maybe you could add the default themes in the settings?
I really would rather have a dark syntax highlight than a light one.
I will definitely look into being able to choose from multiple editor themes in the future :)

C

CedSharp

Thanks for feedback folks!

I will definitely look into being able to choose from multiple editor themes in the future :)
If I recall, it's as simple as calling 'editor.setTheme( "ace/themes/name-of-theme" )'

C

Chris

If I recall, it's as simple as calling 'editor.setTheme( "ace/themes/name-of-theme" )'
You're right, to change the theme you only have to call that one line! Actually implementing it the feature... That was more involved haha. Either way, I just updated it!

You can change the theme by clicking on settings right above the editor. It saves your selection locally like all of the other editor settings so you don't have to pick it every time. Enjoy :)

C

CedSharp

Nice. I'm definitly going to make use of this a lot to help people on this forum!