A music question

F

Fanifacation

So i'd like some advice. I'd like to have earbound sounding music in my game so ive been messing with fl studio and milky tracker.

I want to know which would be better for this. For referance i dont have the soundfont player for fl studio.

Thanks in advance.
-Parker

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'd recommend getting lots of programs that's good for one thing each, then using them for that one thing. I use MilkyTracker to actually COMPOSE music, MODPlug Tracker (also known as OpenMPT) to convert XM music into MIDI files, JAZZ Midi Sequencer to tinker with the MIDI files, and SynthFont to render OGG files using soundfonts. Milky and Jazz have really user-friendly interfaces that's nice to work in, but they lack the output/effect options of the other programs, so I need them all to streamline my workflow. You'll have to learn using a lot of programs, but you don't need to master any of them this way.

D

Darren

Most music making software will do what you want it's more to do with what you feel comfortable using. Personally I like how easy FL Studio is to use and you can download some free VSTs for it to get the sounds you are looking for.

For sound fx I recommend http://www.bfxr.net/ it's a really great free resource.

S

seanm

Second FL. However, it costs money, which I'm going to assume you aren't willing to spend. So if you want a DAW, you can get Reaper for cheap; I've heard nothing but good things about it.

But people write music in far less sophisticated software. So if you want to save your money, you could learn how to use some more complicated and less user friendly, but free, pieces of software.

Trackers are generally a huge pain in the ass, but they're free, and can create authentic chiptune if that's something you're into.

F

Fanifacation

@Yal
Wait what do you mean by output effect options?

@seanm
I already own fl studio. Im just missing the sound font player and would rather not buy it to make funky earthbound-like beats.

@seanm
I already own fl studio. Im just missing the sound font player and would rather not buy it to make funky earthbound-like beats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninety

Unless you specifically want chiptune music, don't use a tracker. You're far better off with a modern DAW, especially if you want some level of control over your sounds (not that a tracker won't give you this, but you are much more limited). If you don't want to spend any money, however, you're going to be a bit limited for options. My recommendation would be to try a few demo versions, work out what's best for you and wait for a sale.