A little help checking off a variable string against an entry in a DS_list (etc)?

R

Rosieu

Hi again everyone, It's been a while!

I've had a tiny bit of spare time recently, and I thought I'd get back into some gamedev stuff. I've only been back into it a couple of days though, and I've hit something of a road block!

Basically, I've been trying to figure out a way to make an engine where the player/user can type a word, and then the game checks it off against some data (in my case a ds_list of 'words') and returns true/1 if the word the player typed is found, and false/0 if not. The trouble is, I can't actually get the check to work!

I'll include my code (which was adapted from various sources which I then build upon) below, in case it's just some stupid mistake I've been blind to!

Code:
if writing == 0
    {
        if keyboard_lastkey != -1
        {
            if keyboard_lastchar != vk_enter && keyboard_lastchar != vk_space
            {
            currentword += keyboard_lastchar; //Add the last key
            keyboard_lastkey = -1;
            }
        }
        if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_enter) && currentword != ""
        {
            writing = 1
            //wordcheck = ds_list_find_index(global.wordlist,currentword)
            var wpos;
            for (wpos = 0; wpos < (ds_list_size(global.wordlist)-1); wpos += 1)
            {
                if global.wordlist[| wpos] == string(currentword)
                {
                wordcheck = 1;
                }
                else
                {
                wordcheck = 0;
                }
            }
        }
    }

if writing == 1
    {
        //check to see if the word entered exists in list of words
        if wordcheck != 0
        {
            wordfound = true;
            //continues the game
            currentword = "";
            writing = 2;
        }
        else
        {
            wordfound = false
            writing = 2;
            currentword = "";

}

}

While I've commented one of them out, I have tried two ways of running a check for the typed word, both one using a simple ds_list_find_index() and the other using a 'for' loop and assessors. When I change the value it checks for to a string in the code, it works fine, however if I try and get it to check for the variable "currentword" it just doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas where I'm going wrong?

On a slightly different tact, I thought I would try rejigging the 'currentword' variable to be a ds_stack of the letters typed, because it's LIFO nature made the ability to delete letters very simple. Problem is, I have no clue how to go about converting the entire stack to string to be stored in a variable. Does anyone have an idea about how I could do this?

Sorry about the random questions, and thanks for your patience!

Edit: I think I found my problem! I think the pressing of a key to cue the check was actually adding that key's contents to the variable to test. So I would type in "test" then hit enter to see if "test" was in the word bank, however the check would be looking for "test" as well as the enter key. I converted the string to check into letters with string_letters() and it seemed to do the trick!

Last edited by a moderator: