• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

A list of wanted fixes for GMS2 before release. My user experience!

Agneum

This is a summary of my user experience feedback for GMS2. My opinion is that 1.4 was much cleaner and easier to use. Hopefully you can make sure GMS2 feels great as well with the added aid to workflow. I have made a list of issues that I think need to be reworked. If I have missed an option for my requests, please let me know.

My largest issue is the workspace environment. You should be able to collapse the object and event window in the workspace without having them close your code window. The workspace chains are useless to me, and aren't even used in any meaningful way to show parent relationships. I'm stuck with at least 3 windows in the workspace when moving an object taking up a bunch of space. I have to drag the object window to move everything since the code window is locked to a column which is super annoying.

Everything seems to take up more space and I'm almost looking into getting more monitors as it seems GMS2 is built for that in mind.

1) With the above mentioned, scripts and events should be allowed to open in seperate windows, just like in GM1.4. You should be able to click on an event and have it open in a new window and not just in the workspace or the fullscreen editor. I know that you can drag the event to become a new window, but this doesn't help after you open another event. It can never be added as a tab automatically, even if you set the option to "open event scripts as tabs in the same window". Right now everything is opened in the workspace first, or in a full screen editor.

Example: When I click on an event for an object, have it to open as a new window (if user wants this option). If the user clicks on another event for the same object, I have the set "open event script as tabs in the same window" in preferences, this new event should be added as a tab in the window i just opened.

Currently the workaround is this: With "open object events in a full screen editor" set to false, the user must click on an event and have it open in the workspace. The user clicks on multiple events and they are added as tabs as the user has the "open event scripts as tabs in the same window" enabled. The user now has to click on the "maxize" button in the top right corner, and then drag the code tab so it opens an external window. This however, still does not solve the problem mentioned above.

So in short: "open event scripts as tabs in the same window" should work for external windows and the option to open scripts in events as seperate windows in preferences.

2) The names of tabs that are events (say 'Create') should specify the object they are called from. (objPlayer : Create). Same goes for collision events, as they are currently just named as the object the collision happens with. They could also show the icon for the event next to it.

3) The help section for GMS2 isn't as interesting or helpful to use as the one in 1.4 (and also harder to read and navigate).

4) Code Completion should have an option to not be case sensitive. The lookup is also much too slow for me ( maybe use some sort of hashing for this?).

5) Would be cool if the snippets would work by entering words to trigger them. Instead of pressing F2 + hotkey. Snippet manager inside GM would be awesome..

6) Windows cannot be closed in the workspace by rightclicks (when zoomed out for example). The same goes for maximizing the code window (user has to click on the maximize button). Opening several objects clutter your workspace pretty quickly and there needs to be a way to mange this more easily. The only way to close an object seems to be to click on the small cross in the top right corner - annoying!

7) Zooming out in workspace should give you a better overview. Maybe have object labels pop up once you zoom out far enough. Maybe just simple stuff like hovering over them with the mouse shows you the name of the resource.

8) Hotkeys to navigate multiple workspaces. Ctrl+W seems to close a tab, but I would like Ctrl+1 to select the first tab, for instance.

9).The resouces tab is difficult to read (without the use of views).

Minor annoyances:
11)When opening GMS2, all the panes that are not the workspace are dragged out to their maximum width sometimes. (layout bug?) .

12) Dragging an object from one workspace to a new one should work just by dropping the object on the tab, instead of dragging it into the workspace itself.

13) Dragging resources into folders should not collapse all the resources. This does not seem to happen all the time (bug?)

14) Move the "search resource" from the bottom, to the top.

15) You can't seem to import color coding files or specify a custom script editor?

16) External windows show the complete menu row and options to run game, etc. They are not needed if you just want to see a script in an external window.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
3) The help section for GMS2 isn't as interesting or helpful to use as the one in 1.4 (and also harder to read and navigate).
Could you elaborate? There is MORE information in the new manual than there is in the 1.4 manual, and the sections now contain the information together in one place rather spread over multiple pages... So I'm curious as to what you feel is wrong with it. :)

Agneum

Could you elaborate? There is MORE information in the new manual than there is in the 1.4 manual, and the sections now contain the information together in one place rather spread over multiple pages... So I'm curious as to what you feel is wrong with it. :)
With focus on the user experience, for example not being able to adjust the left side pane horizontally. Also it's quite sluggish to scroll in, unless you use an external browser. But even in the external browser, switching tabs or searching for keywords seems to take waay, waaay longer than the help in GM1.4, despite their very similar appearance.
It feels instant in 1.4, but not so much in this version. Clicking on a new page in the external browser always flashes white as it loads. It's still fast, but there's no reason for it to be any slower. I urge you to try using both side by side!

This and that you should be able to open events and scripts in new windows is one of my biggest gripes with GMS2 at the moment, otherwise I'm interested in all the new features and what they have to offer. Of course any other points being addressed would be godsent, I hope at least the developers read the feedback here?

EDIT: They fixed the horizontal adjusting, but it's still slow and unresponsive. If you compare to 1.4 that is.

Last edited:

GMWolf

aka fel666
Once again, someone dislikes the workspace system.
And i still agree. For the most part, its pretty useless.
And yes, well observed: the cabin workflow conveys NO useful information. So why have it? Why?

Agneum

If they only allowed me to open scripts and objects in new windows, I wouldn't have to rely on the workspace system so much. Or if I could easily close objects from the workspace instead of having to click on the small cross in the top right corner (I mean really?). Their should be another mode where you can view objects in the workflow in a more "primitive" manner. I think they can fix a lot of issues with it without having to rewrite a lot of things (which I doubt they would anyway).

Tsa05

I would love to see them introduce an optional resizeable panel similar to Photoshop's Navigator (think, like a minimap that you can click on to move around your workspace).
Do you think that'd solve some of your workplace woes?

P

piranha305

there is an options in the preferences that lets you open event/scripts in their own tab, the only down side is the tabs are named after the event so its hard to determine which object its coming from... but other than that, it work great

Agneum

there is an options in the preferences that lets you open event/scripts in their own tab, the only down side is the tabs are named after the event so its hard to determine which object its coming from... but other than that, it work great
Exactly, you can't determine which object its coming from, but it also opens full screen and mixes with my other tabs. I'd just like it to open in an external window.

I would love to see them introduce an optional resizeable panel similar to Photoshop's Navigator (think, like a minimap that you can click on to move around your workspace).
Do you think that'd solve some of your workplace woes?
Sure, if the workspace was polished a bit more and not clutter or take needless amounts of space, then sure. But I still think there should be an option for opening things in windows instead of the workspace.