Idea A game that's like D&D

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I have an Idea to create a game like D&D...."You mean like an rpg?", YES...No, What I mean is the formula of D&D, mainly the Roll for chance to hit, The story is different every time you play.

Mainly a Game that Dynamically changes based on your options, and Is different every new game.
The problem for me Lies in, What to do with that Idea and design Choice?

Any thoughts, Ideas, Random comments, Are welcomed.

There's a reason there hasn't been a popular game with a procedurally-generated story: it's extremely difficult to create what most would consider a good story out of completely random elements. The game I'd say that comes closest to having a good completely random story is Dwarf Fortress, and its stories only become amazing when put through the filter of a human who can spin facts from what is essentially a historical document into an actual story that people can enjoy reading about. Pen & paper RPGs are amazing because of the human interaction. The stories aren't random every time. A person has to go and create or re-use every single aspect of each campaign. Humans are notoriously bad at generating randomness, and very good at connecting things with no relation together.

My honest advice would be to abandon random story altogether. Players already complain about too much procedural generation making games feel too "same-y". With stories, that issue is compounded tenfold. There are other aspects of game creation that are several orders of magnitude easier to randomly generate -- such as gameplay and map design.

T

Taddio

You mean like these adventure gamebooks, back in the day?
If so, I wouldn't say the coding will be difficult, but going to put a lot of effort and time on storywriting.
I would just make a simple text adventure with a bunch of global variables for player stats.
You will need a couple of arrays to hold all the text and the choices.
Making it a whole different story each time would be n times more work, I'd stsrt with just a good single story and see from there

Last edited by a moderator: