• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion A few questions about Studio 2

N

Nathan

To start out I'll say I haven't used Game Maker since GM7, so I'm sure things have changed and improved drastically since then. I have a few general questions :

1. Once the Mac Beta is released will it be cross platform? So if I start a project on Mac could my brother open it on his PC (and vice versa)? Is there a tentative date for Mac beta yet aside Q2?

2. Will I be able to import a GM7 project? Or will it be so drastically different it'd be better to start from scratch? I ask because we had about 100 characters, items and enemies, game physics, and a few other things done but life got in the way.

3. If you run it on a system with minimum requirements will it be barely usable to the level of frustration?

4. Is there an estimated date of when the PC version will be out of Beta and stable? When did the Beta begin?

Thanks so much!
Nate

sylvain_l

2. Will I be able to import a GM7 project? Or will it be so drastically different it'd be better to start from scratch? I ask because we had about 100 characters, items and enemies, game physics, and a few other things done but life got in the way.
actually I bought gms2, and it can only import project from gmz, gmx, yyz. (but its still beta) Don't know if they are planning to get more support for older version
else you can perhaps use gms 1.x as intermediate (which has much more support of older version format, I don't know by heart the list :p)

1. Once the Mac Beta is released will it be cross platform? So if I start a project on Mac could my brother open it on his PC (and vice versa)? Is there a tentative date for Mac beta yet aside Q2?
answer should be yes, intern file format used are just raw text (like json ) or image format which are available on both OSes so there is no reason a project on PC should not work on mac and vice versa.
Of course this only apply for pure GML project. If you use some specific extern extension like a .dll for windows, you'll get in trouble except if that extension is also available as a dylib for mac.

N

Nathan

2. I figured as much, I remember even when 8.0 came out we would have had to do a major re-write, but I was wishing and dreaming haha.

1. Can anyone confirm this?

Also can anyone chime in on the others?

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
1. No info is released about the Mac IDE, so I can't answer this one just now.

2. This was answered a while back: http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230330328-GameMaker-Studio-2-FAQ

"Will GameMaker Studio 2 import my legacy GameMaker (7/8/8.1) project? Will it run?

No, GameMaker Studio 2 does not support these old formats. You will need to use GameMaker: Studio 1.4 to update your project and confirm it all works in 1.4, then re-export from 1.4 to import it into 2.0."

3. No, it runs pretty well on the lowest spec. We do recommend a SSD if at all possible, though.

4a. No comment.

4b. The Beta started early Nov last year. http://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes.html

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
4a.... it's pretty stable as is - for desktop. We've had several comments that it's more stable than 1.x :)