• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker A few questions about GMS-2

D

DeusExGM

Dear forum members. I have very little to no expirience with GMS in advanced topics, so before make an upgrade I need to ask about some features. Is they implemented/useful in GMS-2 (from your own point of view):

1) I examine GMS-2 manual section about cloud saving, but it was about mobine games. Can I use cloud saves/leaderboard for PC-builds? Can PC game-build use Facebook leaderboard? Or only local save game available? (I know about Steam integration, but I work with BigFishGames publisher so I am not interesting in Steam)
2) As far as I read it in manual & tutorials I can use network server/client model, but can I use/write my own, non GM, server like on Node.JS? For (for example) payable gamers accounts and etc.? (same for PC build, turn-based games)
3) Can I use any monetization for PC-builds? (for stand-alone single-player build)?
4) How can I make trial (if I can) time period (60 minutes for example) for PC-build game? (I use it in ClickTeam Fusion 2.5 Developer right now, but look on GMS-2 for migration because of GML)
5) For HTML-version: can I write my own function/modules in JS and use them from GM? If yes - any troubles I need to know about?
6) Any info about gamesparks SDK?

If you think I look in wrong way - please correct me. p.s. Sorry, I am not English-native speaker.

Last edited by a moderator:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
1) I examine GMS-2 manual section about cloud saving, but it was about mobine games. Can I use cloud saves/leaderboard for PC-builds? Can PC game-build use Facebook leaderboard? Or only local save game available? (I know about Steam integration, but I work with BigFishGames publisher so I am not interesting in Steam)
If BigFishGames offer some sort of API for cloud saves, you could make (or pay someone to) an extension to work with that.
2) As far as I read it in manual & tutorials I can use network server/client model, but can I use/write my own, non GM, server like on Node.JS? For (for example) payable gamers accounts and etc.? (same for PC build, turn-based games)
You can, if you use _raw-suffixed functions for connecting and sending data. With Node.JS in particular, you'll also need to make sure that you are using native (non-websocket) sockets.
3) Can I use any monetization for PC-builds? (for stand-alone single-player build)?
You can if you find API(s) and make extensions for that. I honestly haven't seen anything noteworthy in this category - bundlers (installmonetizer, etc) at most, and even those offer arguably decent rates.
4) How can I make trial (if I can) time period (60 minutes for example) for PC-build game? (I use it in ClickTeam Fusion 2.5 Developer right now, but look on GMS-2 for migration because of GML)
You would use a combination of date-time functions to check for time flow and that the amount was exhausted. Ideally store the time inside a savegame so that circumventing protection through sandboxing (sandboxie, etc.) would not let the player keep on playing. You can probably ask your publisher for preferred approaches if this is the model they follow.
5) For HTML-version: can I write my own function/modules in JS and use them from GM? If yes - any troubles I need to know about?
Yes, you can make JS extensions. Since extensions can also call gm scripts starting with gmcallback_ (window.gml_Script_gmcallback_yourthing), a plenty of things can be done with them.
6) Any info about gamesparks SDK?
Seeing that said SDK supports a number of backends, you could perhaps contact the authors and ask if they intend to support GM and/or how much you'd need to pay them to implement that.

D

DeusExGM

YellowAfterlife, thank you for detailed answer! I am very grateful to you.
I m still in process of making final decision so if anyone can add something / more info it will be helpful.