• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

A fast-paced but turn-based game?

Simply don't implement an Active Time Battle component. Just make turns available as quickly as the enemy's turns complete. Check out Final Fantasy X or X-2 for a great example of this method.

Kaguva

I did this Dominoes Online game time ago. Obviously Domino is turn based an extra feature is skip your turn if you dont move in your turn time

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Giving the player multiple things to keep track of also increases the pace, you want the player to quickly jump back and forth between different tasks. E.g. all of your character take turns individually, so you need to jump around and give everyone orders as quickly as possible (maybe even strategically give someone longer spellcasting orders so they keep busy for a while, letting you micromanage someone else for a while). Try booting up multiple instances of the same RPG and alt-tab between them I have a friend that actually does this and then figure out ways your game could be that, but canonical.

Ampersand

(maybe even strategically give someone longer spellcasting orders so they keep busy for a while, letting you micromanage someone else for a while)
This is something I'm toying with on an auto-battler type project, and it's validating to hear someone else voice the idea. I think that creating a turn-based system in which your characters can idle (meaning they will fight without command albeit not necessarily strategically/optimally) creates a scalable intensity and strategy in micro-managing combat.

I think something missing in some more popular auto-battlers like Legends of Runeterra is that it is a bit too idle in the battle phases. A good balance of giving the player an opportunity to prepare and an opportunity to react is what makes a turn-based battle great, and any way to reimagine those phases will be fresh. This applies to real-time strategy, turn-based strategy, RPGs (tabletop or any sort), card games, and even in simpler forms games like chess and Chinese checkers.

mar_cuz

Check out the pacing of any spiderweb software games like avernum or avadon. I'm by no means a fan of turn based combat but I find myself enjoying the combat in those games