• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

A Dark and Stormy Night

joeygopher

This is an idea I've had bubbling away for ages, but it's finally starting to turn into something tangible. I originally designed it as a board game, but I think a computer game has more potential!

ADaSN#7.jpg

Grandfather lies dying. When he passes away, the manor, estate, and all his wealth will pass to one member of the household. You have until then to ensure you are his favourite - and there are three ways to do it.

1 - bribe your way into his heart (and his will) by bringing him the things he loves.
2 - manipulate the inheritance by discovering documents that change who benefits. Take documents that help your cause to Morden, the family lawyer. Destroy documents that work against you in a handy fireplace.
3 - eliminate the competition using one of the many brutal weapons scattered around the house.

Still got quite a huge list of things to do, but thought I'd share to see what people make of it so far. In particular, I've still got to figure out how the ghosts of murder victims are going to function. Also, the 'narration' still needs a lot of tuning - I liked the idea of it being like a gothic novel written as you play, but it's ended up being too much info to take in. Any thoughts on that front would be very welcome!

ADaSN#5.jpg
ADaSN#2.jpg
ADaSN#1.jpg
ADaSN#4.jpg

pixeltroid

Looks excellent! Lovely pixel artwork and characters, and intriguing concept.

Is the gameplay similar to "Goblin Kingdom"?

joeygopher

Looks excellent! Lovely pixel artwork and characters, and intriguing concept.

Is the gameplay similar to "Goblin Kingdom"?
Thanks Pixeltroid!

The gameplay is quite different. Essentially it's walking from room to room in search of ways to alter the will or weapons to eliminate people with. Not sure what genre it fits in - maybe "action"? I've not yet come up with a satisfactory mechanic for killing characters though - it can't be one-shot deaths because multiplayer would be dreadful. Currently using "spacebar mashing", but that doesn't feel very fun either.

Polishing up the UI while I procrastinate for now!

ADaSN#8.jpg

ADaSN#9.jpg

Last edited:

joeygopher

Revisiting this (once again). Gone fully turn-based, and it's starting to make sense now.

Still plenty to do around ghosts and death happening far too suddenly, but I'm liking it again.

Updated files on itch.io

ADASNtitle.jpg
ADASNraymond.jpg
ADASNfreddie.jpg