Legacy GM A couple of Questions to Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ethian

Greetings...

I was thinking about with what i will make my game and its parts various times to date, for example...

Well, i tried with Game Maker Studio first, but for some plagiarizement reason, i decided to use and try other game factories like the Clickteam Series...

But now, as i found out that i feel like i'm used to use Game Maker Studio 1.4 for program applications, and i have a free place for help with bugfixing more than how to do it (more acceptable), i decided to stay with it since then, no matter what...

But for plagiarizement reasons, i decided to avoid using anything the main inspirations/influences for my games have, for example, Undertale has 480p30 quality of image, Game Maker Studio has in its games too by default, and it's confirmed Under is made with that game factory program.
I like more 1080p60 for my games, full HD has an amazing look for me, (especially on TV more than else...) and 60 fps has amazing movement of the things with (And also make my games have the feeling of old arcade machines)
I like it more than Under and its use of the darn default image settings.

But let's go to the main topic now, i asked those questions before in the status update, but they told me they're more acceptable on threads that in status updates, well, i have more questions about my games' troubleshooting or else...

They're here:
  1. My game is buggy because it has very simple code, finished and released full leght videogames have a lot of code that seems indecipherable at simple sight and make those games less buggy than my mine one, it's right?

1. My game is buggy, my computer isn't perfect, the functionality of the game depends on the computer where the game is running on, it's really buggy in slow computers but mostly unbuggy on perfect ones... It's all of this, right? Also, something that raises that occured more when i was making my game on Clickteam.

1. What i need to add to my games for make it work on every computer? or it's impossible to make every game made on GM:S work perfctly on every computer even in the ones which have old OS? I just need to feature on the game's official download page, the requirements for you computer for make the game work perfectly, right? But what's the computer requirements for every game made in GM:S, even the games with all the default settings GM:S has? Or GM:S has every programmed to make every game made in this program, work perfectly on every computer?

1. All i need to add on all my games' troubleshooting page (And every game made in GM:S) is all the same (probably more?) on this troubleshooting page of the official game page of a game made on GM:S?

1. (Off Topic, sorry) For avoid plagiarizement, i must use really different ideas instead of similar ones for the inspirations for avoid make it be considerer a complete ripoff of what is inspired on, for example. The my-past-based games must remind me my memories of with what i was playing, but many of those are copyrighted material, for make inspirations avoid be consirerer plagiarized, i need to make those be less 25% similar to what is inspired on, using different ideas also, right? Also, talking about avoid plagiarizement, for avoid copyright issues, i simply just need to avoid use copyrighted material? Copyrighted material includes also, popular, familiar content more than also-copyrighted-not-very-popular-content? Just avoid to, use instruments for other videogames like how Undertale did, for example? I know i need to do it and i'm doing it, but, i'm waiting for an amazing answer (for me) instead of a simple yes, same goes for the other questions.

Last edited:

TheouAegis

Using similar ideas isn't plagiarizing. Using nearly identical assets of a third psrty is. By your definition of plagiarism, Sonic The Hedgehog is a plagiarized Super Mario Bros.

GMStudio games should run fine on nearly all machines with a minimum of 500 mB of RAM. What determines how poorly a game runs on any machine is the efficiency of the code, the fps settings, and the size of the assets. The biggest killer is asset size - if your assets are too large, weak machines won't have enough memory available. Minimum requirements are determined after testing the program on a crappy system.

E

ethian

Using similar ideas isn't plagiarizing. Using nearly identical assets of a third psrty is.
Ok, i knew it anyway, i'm sometimes lazy even for make my things, but i enjoy with things of mine that are now turned out, sorry.

By your definition of plagiarism, Sonic The Hedgehog is a plagiarized Super Mario Bros.
For me isn't so plagiarized as what things made me considerer a plagiarizement, like how my game was before, it was too undertale-ish, critics will considerer a plagiarizement to it...
But now, no problems... mostly... i'm still working for it...

GMStudio games should run fine on nearly all machines with a minimum of 500 mB of RAM.
Yeah, my game in my computer runs perfectly on those 60 fps, my computer is 4 GB of RAM, but sometimes runs like it have less than the amount. I have Windows 10, and i have an Android phone, so, all my games will be released for Windows and Android first as those OS are the most used on my country nowadays...

Coming soon, exportings to Mac and IOS, and Nintendo Switch...

What determines how poorly a game runs on any machine is the efficiency of the code, the fps settings, and the size of the assets. The biggest killer is asset size - if your assets are too large, weak machines won't have enough memory available.
So, i need to make my game 480p60 like many times before... the high resolution doesn't really matter anyway... also, some of my games have pixel art too.

Cuphead has 720p60 resolution and it runned 30 fps instead of 60 when i was playing it on summer vacation. Well, frame rate depends of the computer and its power, i like more machine independient than that... I like that old arcade games feeling because of the frame rate nowadays for some reason...

My game is buggy because it has very simple code, finished and released full leght videogames have a lot of code that seems indecipherable at simple sight and make those games less buggy than my mine one, it's right?
No. Having lots of code or code that you cannot understand/decipher does not mean that it will have less bugs than your games. Other games have less bugs because they actually dedicate time to testing and bugfixing - this is something you must learn to do yourself. Getting testers to raise issues way before you are considering releasing your game will help you track down any potential bugs and issues.

What i need to add to my games for make it work on every computer? or it's impossible to make every game made on GM:S work perfctly on every computer even in the ones which have old OS? I just need to feature on the game's official download page, the requirements for you computer for make the game work perfectly, right? But what's the computer requirements for every game made in GM:S, even the games with all the default settings GM:S has? Or GM:S has every programmed to make every game made in this program, work perfectly on every computer?
You will not find any game that has requirements that make the game work perfectly. You will need to do a lot of testing using different setups (either with a group of testers using their own pcs, or setting up some VMs based on different OS installs) to find which ones were well (not necessarily perfectly, but well enough) and then using those results come up with the minimum specifications for your game. That minimum specification is what you put on the download page for your game as information. You could also find an optimal setup and list that as being the recommended specifications.

All i need to add on all my games' troubleshooting page (And every game made in GM:S) is all the same (probably more?) on this troubleshooting page of the official game page of a game made on GM:S?
If you feel like doing that, you can. Or you could just have a Contact Us page for people to raise any issues. Then based on those issues, you could add the problem and fix onto an FAQ on the website for your game.

But for plagiarizement reasons, i decided to avoid using anything the main inspirations/influences for my games have, for example, Undertale has 480p30 quality of image
Image resolution cannot be copyrighted or used against you for plagiarism. If that was the case then any game that uses any image/screen resolution would be open to legal action from any game studio. Plagiarism is when you blatantly rip-off something and claim it as your own. So if you had taken sprites/background/music/etc from a game and put them in your as if you had made them, then that is when you would be in trouble. But taking inspiration from another game is not going to be plagiarism.

E

ethian

Kind of a perfect-looking (for me) answers to my questions!

No. Having lots of code or code that you cannot understand/decipher does not mean that it will have less bugs than your games. Other games have less bugs because they actually dedicate time to testing and bugfixing - this is something you must learn to do yourself. Getting testers to raise issues way before you are considering releasing your game will help you track down any potential bugs and issues.
Well. As always i need to program things by myself and if there's bug, i will make be fix it here with me and you.
I guess i like being getting used on this nature, and else.

You will not find any game that has requirements that make the game work perfectly. You will need to do a lot of testing using different setups (either with a group of testers using their own pcs, or setting up some VMs based on different OS installs) to find which ones were well (not necessarily perfectly, but well enough) and then using those results come up with the minimum specifications for your game. That minimum specification is what you put on the download page for your game as information. You could also find an optimal setup and list that as being the recommended specifications.
Well, no matter, but the game must work perfectly on my computer anyways.
But there's a high chance of making my games work perfectly on my computer using default configurations that are set up to make the game perfect, as the default settings are actually the most recomendable for all the games.
Also, Undertale, Cuphead and some Fangames (Those videogames are what i enjoyed in my computer last years) worked on my computer without lag problems with my computer's default configurations... well, not well didn't worked with other configurations that solve other computer issues such as the unchangeable bright of the screen.
Also, i can't hire anyone for my work because i can go to trouble with money (and virtual money) with my family, same goes with buying perfect game assets at yoyo games' marketplace. I prefer still being a solo developer that's seems talented... actually talented... in making fun media.
The most fun part of make people considerer this to me and go nuts.

If you feel like doing that, you can. Or you could just have a Contact Us page for people to raise any issues. Then based on those issues, you could add the problem and fix onto an FAQ on the website for your game.
Sorry for not saying before, but i knew it when i wrote the question for this time: A "Contact me" section of the FAQ page of my official website of my game is also important.

Image resolution cannot be copyrighted or used against you for plagiarism. If that was the case then any game that uses any image/screen resolution would be open to legal action from any game studio. Plagiarism is when you blatantly rip-off something and claim it as your own. So if you had taken sprites/background/music/etc from a game and put them in your as if you had made them, then that is when you would be in trouble. But taking inspiration from another game is not going to be plagiarism.
But i'll still making what i'm doing before the answer anyways, as i like to make my inspired games have the feeling of something new, especially how it looks and how it sounds... and gameplay doesn't really matter anyway for now... i guess...
I don't know, but i guess i still want to make gamers go nuts by reconoziging things badly...
For example, a lady octopus at the beach that is similar to Dame tu Cosita, or more inspiration to what i see by curiosity on Youtube's main page inside my country, that what is popular on people of my country nowadays, like Fortnite or Dragon Ball Super.
I guess i don't want to change my things anymore...
I guess the most important part of my proyects is making them all come to fruition right now, no matter what... especially if i shown the idea to this page and how a lot of fun i have to imaginate my finished game and make them reality right now for show to people and make them all go nuts.

Also, i said about Undertale's 480p30 resolution of image because isn't perfect to games for me by nowadays. It's kinda obsolete... i guess...

And i choose widescreen because many of the screens in the world nowadays are on this screen, and 60 fps because i like that kind of amazing movement of the things for the eyes with this certain amount of frames per second. Also, i choose 480p resolution by now because it's the most recomendable for all games and other things like Flash Movies, if i use HD, there will be problems in older computers...

Also there's a new question:

About decompilate GM:S games... It's impossible if it's just an standalone aplication like this fangame i've enyoied before? And i know it's possible if it's exported as a .zip which contains all the music tracks, data.win, etc... like Undertale because i saw the game's files and the unused ones like sounds and sprites of said game before. But what about decompile the game when it's installed on the computer by installer? Same way as .zip export? I'll check how the game will be when installed after exporting it by this way, after finishing a demo of one of my games at least.

Last edited:
E

ethian

Ah, and talking about Plagiarizement, this week i was thinking and i have now a new question:

My Under-like game has because it's a roleplaying videogame mixed with hazard (Projectile) dodging just like "The Under Tale", as how my other game has run and gun fun in platforming with special shoots just like "The Cup Head", it's just like remaking Super Mario World in Game Maker, making it be 100% accurate to the original game, then make a custom version of the game with different levels, graphics, etc... instead of hacking the original SMW rom using Lunar Magic, and others, everything about this from SMW Central, for example, or remaking RPG Maker games like OFF and Yume Nikki, making it be 100% accurate, then making custom adding custom graphics etc... everything custom but the engine resources, that are the same as those popular games, but additional, custom engine resources that aren't included on the original games can be also put. Should i change it?! Otherwise i'll get into trouble?!

Plagiarism is when you blatantly rip-off something and claim it as your own. So if you had taken sprites/background/music/etc from a game and put them in your as if you had made them, then that is when you would be in trouble.
But avoid using copyrighted assets like Mario Series' sprites or Mario's Music it's easy for me, avoiding telling people i made them too, as i know other people made them originally, and people too, well, also with copyrighted media that isn't so popular as something popular like The Simpsons, but i know, one example, Zafari, a weird children's show featuring (but not starring) a charming ladybug armadillo called Ernesto. I imagine it if Zafari is popular... cult following because of its weird concept of mixed animals on their skins shown to children, and the most popular character is Ernesto, because of its extreme charmingness at front of children... I also imagine the fan arts, the fan comics, the swears, the ruin... cosplay? not enough to make me go nuts in halloween more than cons as Gaster.
"Plagiarism is rip off copyrighted media, shouting to people i've made it by myself and it's my own" it means if i use an used plot as my game's plot... and gameplay... i got them, i'm currently working on change them, well, keeping a feeling that renembers me my beautiful past anyways, but it must make me feel good, of a new way, and make avoid people renember what's inspired on... well, just a bit... because otherwise it will make feel me it will be considerer a ripoff from the people.

Last edited:

TheouAegis

Look, just stress yourself out over graphics and sounds and such. If your gameplay is nearly identical to another game's gameplay but you coded it differently than they did, then it's not plagiarism. If your game's plot or story is very similar to another game's, or very similar to a book's, or very similar to a movie's, but it is not identical, then it's not plagiarism. Just make whatever you want to make. The courts have stated time and again that you can even crack the code of a game or hardware and then write your own code based on your findings. Who cares if your game is a rip off of another game, book, or movie? There are thousands of games, books, and movies that are rip-offs. Some of the most famous stories were ripoffs. The Bible is even a rip-off. Humans love familiarity. Humans embrace ripoffs. Complete originality is rarely embraced by humans.

Make it fun, not original.

E

ethian

Look, just stress yourself out over graphics and sounds and such. If your gameplay is nearly identical to another game's gameplay but you coded it differently than they did, then it's not plagiarism. If your game's plot or story is very similar to another game's, or very similar to a book's, or very similar to a movie's, but it is not identical, then it's not plagiarism. Just make whatever you want to make. The courts have stated time and again that you can even crack the code of a game or hardware and then write your own code based on your findings. Who cares if your game is a rip off of another game, book, or movie? There are thousands of games, books, and movies that are rip-offs. Some of the most famous stories were ripoffs. The Bible is even a rip-off. Humans love familiarity. Humans embrace ripoffs. Complete originality is rarely embraced by humans.

Thank you some much for the answer, it makes me smile...
But i will keep what's on current of me anyways... no matter...

E

ethian

Talking back about plagiarizing.... my game's story will be similar to Undertale's but...
Hmm...
It's about an 8 year old that gets accidentally to an unknown, bright, fantastic world, and their mission is return home...
They decide to save the world while going to the path to return home, after knowing the bright world has monsters that are going to conquer it very unexpecedly!
As the child is talentous to solve conflicts without violence, they deal with those monsters on this way, even they make the coolest monsters be their best pals, giving them to the child's home and cheer up the child's next summer vacation at the end of the adventure! But suddently, a cliffhanger occurs, making the game have a sequel...
For me, the story sounds simple... and not so 100% identical to Undertale's story as it have extra content added... for example, the sequel and the summer vacation... and the talent...
Sorry, but my game will just have a pacifist route, the game and the others of mine are especially for make kids that play the game, become peace-lovers and violence-haters without anything about become sadists instead of total sadists that are scary, as it occurs to them after playing GTA V...
Worrisome topic, but i won't care about it anymore because i'll become obsessed by a well crafted cool special ninja character that will make girls really want to kiss him! For example. (Think about that) well, will be like Doggo, but it includes also Sly Cooper and Matrix inspirations... and probably more...
That character... cool and special enough to make worryful people so happy enough to be so obsessed with him, stop worrying about the worrisome stuff they got worried and get used to ban themselves to worry about worrisome stuff, not worrying about anything worrisome anymore... heck yeah!
Ah my game will have also 8 worlds instead of 4 areas... also a secret and special 9th world... RPG boringness to funny fun with hazard-dodging...

What you do think? What i do think? What i'll think after the answer?

Ah, and about the special character... we will talk about it later, i'm currently getting started to improve him to an enough level! Then help me with it here.thanks!

Last edited:
E

ethian

I heard a same thread was closed because abuses something.
This thread, as is the same as the other one, does it too, so please close it... zzz...
It's better one single thread with just one single question than one single thread with many questions in one, right?

E

ethian

Wait! no... ignore what i said before... or not?!?!?!

I want to know how to do what i don't know in programming, so... let's start with...

How to make a bar drawn by draw_rectangle that shows the player's HP?

K

Kanugane

Why the use of draw_rectangle in particular? If you are a starting developer, it is best to start with simple things first and as you progress and gather experience, you can modify your code and make it more complex/indepth.

As to how to make a bar that shows player's hp. Give a variable for player, let's say.. hp = 5;
Then make a sprite with 5 subimages in it. Each subimage can have more health. So 0 = 1 heart, 1 = 1 heart, etc.

In draw gui event you can write something like draw_sprite_ext(spr_health, hp, x, y, 1, 1, c_white, 1);
Where spr_health is your sprite with subimages. hp is a number. So if your player has 5 HP. draw_sprite_ext will use 4th subimage (remember, count starts from 0 aka 0,1,2,3,4).

In addition, I would suggest you to watch youtube tutorials. Shaun Spaulding, Heartbeast, Pixelated Pope, FriendlyCosmonaut, GloomyToad, Talent Lost and so forth so forth. Each provides a large amount of tutorials regarding GMS/GMS2. I guess most noob-friendly ones are Heartbeast and Shaun.

N

nlolotte

Amen.

E

ethian

I have another doubt...

How to make the background scroll slowy while the camera is scrolling following the moving player?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
This thread isn't appropriate for the Programming forum. Topics should focus on one particular programming issue, with specific questions about implementation.

If you have multiple unrelated questions, then make separate topics for each one.

Status
Not open for further replies.