Discussion A Breath of the Wild

A

AverageJoe

Hello all!

Just wondering what everyone thinks of the new Nintendo game...The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild! I beat the game over spring break, but I also don't think I explored every nook and cranny of the massive granny of a map they had. What do you all think?

Hey try not to spoil things, but I just wanted to know what you all thought.

It was funny watching my sisters play, each having their own experience....let me know!

M

Misu

Just a reminder, if you need to add the image, you simply click the "edit" link somewhere below your post and change it.

Also I like how they finally made this game into an open world concept. The only thing I hoped more of is more encountering of events during world exploration (which I think its most likely to have in the Hard Mode DLC) Landscape is more beautiful than Skyrim but its a little generic. Perhaps the fun part of the game is the challenge, yet cost patience as well. I, for one, LOVE the Legend of Zelda series and this one seem to make me happy as well. I don't care what other people have got to think about it.

11clock

I have mixed feelings for the Zelda series (really liked Link's Awakening and A Link Between Worlds and Majora's Mask, found Ocarina of Time and WInd Waker boring, couldn't get into A Link to the Past and Oracle of Ages), and I am not all that fond of open world games either since I do not like the idea of spending most of the gameplay just walking around. I bought Breath of the Wild out of curiosity since it was being raved so much, and wanted to see if it was overrated like Ocarina of Time or actually a really good game.

And it is a really good game. Been playing it so much since release. So much to do, and while the walking distances are long they fill it in with tons of side stuff, and Hyrule being mountainous in combination with the climbing and paragliding mechanics make overcoming the environmental challenges very fun. Hyrule Fields is very boring, though, and he inventory system could use some work.

I also like the survival mechanics like weapon durability and relying on food to keep yourself alive (and no hunger system either, yay!).

Niels

It's ok, but overrated by zealous nintendo/zeliard fans who pretend it's the best thing ever.

I like Nier Automata a lot more tbh

11clock

It's ok, but overrated by zealous nintendo/zeliard fans who pretend it's the best thing ever.

I like Nier Automata a lot more tbh
I am not a Zelda fan (or open world games even) but I find this one pretty amazing. Does not deserve perfect scores though.

11clock

Why? So are you saying perfection is achievable? What makes a game perfect?
It has issues that other Zelda games have like fetch quests, and has a pretty mediocre inventory system. Also the teleportation animation is not skippable, which may sound minor but quickly builds, especially parts of the game where you find yourself teleporting all over the place to get some various small things done.

A

AverageJoe

TBH I expected fetch quests...but this assassins creed kind of take on the Zelda formula was quite the improvement. I also agree on the warp animation, but I can't wait for hard mode!

To bad they didn't add random events you could participate in...kinda like Spider-man 2

bml

Love the open world, climbing, puzzles and art direction. Lots of little touches and attention to detail. Plenty of chances to enjoy the world. There are often "tricks" to deal with some of the encounters which are fun to figure out. Gliding is fun, but after lots of gliding in Guild Wars 2, BofW gliding initially feels like training wheels.

At latter levels I'm not really enjoying combat. The areas I'm in are tough and I have trouble getting the special moves to work when several monsters are beating me up. Most things kill me in two hits and a few kill me in one. End up eating a lot of food with no real upside to actually fighting. It's rare to get anything that I don't have plenty of already. It doesn't help that the action button is different on the Switch from the Playstation and Xbox so I have to fight my tendency to hit the wrong button. And the stick that controls movement (I think) puts you into sneak mode if you push it in which I always seem to do in the middle of a big fight - it's probably the worse thing I could do.

Cooking is a chore. Painfully tedious to make several of anything.

Some of the areas are very linear and some of the terrain can be difficult to travel across quickly. These are kind of a chore after enjoying the open world aspects. Mainly because if you teleport away you end up repeating all of it. In order to maximize inventory you have to search everything which gets tiresome after you've picked up a couple hundred rocks to see if anything is hiding under them. The constant weapon breakage is fine and I have to regularly leave decent items behind. I enjoy the voice overs, but they often stop after a few sentences which is slightly jarring.

At this point it's feeling very repetitive to me: lots of work to get to a new shrine, then 15 minutes solving it and repeat. Skipping every shrine animation because I've seem them so many times.

I'd say the first 10-15 hours were amazing. But the relaxed pace and repetitiveness starts to wear on me after that and it seems like I have a long way to go still. It's possible I'm missing some encounters or locations that would have helped with the pace. Despite my negatives, it's a fantastic game overall.

Amazing game. Easily one of the best ever made. It will of course be denounced by zealous ps4 fans who will try to pretend it isn't the best thing ever.

They're wrong. It's a masterpiece. =)

11clock

Amazing game. Easily one of the best ever made. It will of course be denounced by zealous ps4 fans who will try to pretend it isn't the best thing ever.

They're wrong. It's a masterpiece. =)
I wouldn't call it the best game ever, but it is definitely up there.

The main issue I have with the game by far is the time sink required. It is not very friendly for a busy schedule, since it takes like a 2 hour session at least in order to get any fulfillment out of the game. As a result, lately I have been playing Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ on the Switch more than Breath of the Wild, since it is a game you can easily pick up, play, and put down in a 30 minute break or bus ride.

Its amazing but Super Bunnyhop explains a lot of what I felt, though it has great moments, though I'm tired of seeing the same ol mechanics being abused in other Open World games. Made me appreciate Twilight Princess more for some reason...TP doesn't get enough love

A

AverageJoe

Cooking is a chore. Painfully tedious to make several of anything.
Man you guys! I love having a slightly active thread! I completely understand @bml. that should be more streamlined, but heck every time I would collect a bunch of materials I would hand the gamepad over to my sisters(they played around in the world but were also better at cooking in the game then I was)

Hey I'm a PS4er! But when great games come out I notice them...and I've been a long time Zelda fan. imo I do think they did a lot of things right, but there will always be room for improvement. ;-)

Made me appreciate Twilight Princess more for some reason...TP doesn't get enough love
Also I love the darker Zeldas...Twilight Princess and Majoras Mask. IF they did a two year turnaround with Breath of the Wild (and made a new land...new enemies...maybe masks!) damn I'd be the happiest Zelda fan ever!

I'd say the first 10-15 hours were amazing. But the relaxed pace and repetitiveness starts to wear on me after that and it seems like I have a long way to go still. It's possible I'm missing some encounters or locations that would have helped with the pace. Despite my negatives, it's a fantastic game overall.
Pro tip, if you haven't done it already:
Go beat the bird divine beast first. Will make traveling a *LOT* more bearable.

[email protected]'ve beaten the game. Playing without the HUD improves the experience tenfold
I'm basically done, too. Just wandering around trying to make it last longer, now. Beat all the dungeons a long time ago, like sixty shrines or so, and have all the equipment I'll ever need. Just putting off killingGanon, even though I'm pretty sure I could've done it thirty hours ago, lol. I tried turning off the HUD before, but I didn't like it for some reason? I dunno. Maybe I'll try it again. I've never really minded HUDs taking up room, though.