Windows A Aspie Life

About 70% done

"We all are human" You.

About
"An Aspie Life" deals with the topic of Asperger's Syndrome. The game is centred around having to live with this disability. Every conversation, noises recreate how people with autism perceive the world. Nothing in the gameplay of An Aspie Life is a joke. All forms of sound, graphics and interactions are intentional.

Autism cannot be seen, it cannot be heard, and it cannot be experienced by people unless you have it. You cannot describe autism because it is so complex, and how do you explain your life if you don’t know what ‘real’ life is like? So how can the public’s opinion on autism change? By allowing people to experience what it is like to be an Aspie (Asperger’s) through a game. “An Aspie Life” brings to life the hard and commonly misunderstood world of autism. By having players play out the life of an autistic person, their actions in the game will have to adapt to how an autistic person sees the world in an ordinary everyday life. The game is hopefully going to change the public perception or at least make people realise, what autism “really” is.

Story
Your mission, as the player, is to survive doing normal everyday activities and tasks. The goal of the game is to keep health and emotions at maximum level. These health and emotion meters will determine the ending of the game.

Game Play
In An Aspie Life, you, the player must follow the outlined daily routine... But I never said it would be easy. From shopping to gaming, all events and interactions impact your day. You must decide what the correct decision is to keep yourself as happy and safe as you can be.

Images

Help the game out by Downloading it at Gamejolt.com http://gamejolt.com/games/a-aspie-life/209217

Last edited:
Well what a week!

Yesterday An Aspie Life won first play in the Queensland iAwards!

Yes I did remove my name and school from the image…

Autism cannot be seen, it cannot be heard, and it cannot be experienced by people unless you have it. You cannot describe autism because it is so complex, and how do you explain your life if you don’t know what ‘real’ life is like? So how can the public’s opinion on autism change? By allowing people to experience what it is like to be an Aspie (Asperger’s) through a game. “An Aspie Life” brings to life the hard and commonly misunderstood world of autism. By having players play out the life of an autistic person, their actions in the game will have to adapt to how an autistic person sees the world in an ordinary everyday life. The game is hopefully going to change the public perception or at least make people realise, what autism “really” is.

Find more out here — > https://www.iawards.com.au/history/2017-iawards/state-winners-and-merit-recipients

AND to day we got Greenlit!

Hello guys!

The 0.25.0 update is out!

After a lot of hard work and bugs… arh the bugs. It has finely arrived.

What’s new?
added New day 2
added Item dropping
added item’s
added drop bags
added pick up items
added gravity to objects
added final rain effects
added bullies
added pushing events
added new chats
added new more story
fixed bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs

SO what do you think?

PS new website https://mebradhen.github.io/index.html

Mebradhen
EnderLost Studios

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I really like your choice of colors! It makes for a very original and pleasant aesthetic. Well done, and congrats on winning first play and being greenlit!

WarpDogsVG

Really intriguing premise.

Around my parts of the internet Aspie has always been a pretty derogatory insult. Is using this term a deliberate choice on your part?

Really intriguing premise.

Around my parts of the internet Aspie has always been a pretty derogatory insult. Is using this term a deliberate choice on your part?
Us in the autistic community like to call out selves 'Aspies'. That being said, people on the internet have kind of run with the word and used it to be offensive. The word it's self is just short for Asperger Syndrome.

A small update

Been working hard on these small scenes. As they help add more emotion into the game. As well as a little reward for the player.
What do you think?

F

Felipe Rybakovas

Hey, this looks very nice. My cousing is an aspie...

Only who lives with then knows how the days goes by.

Can I ask where did you take the inspiration do to such game???

F

Felipe Rybakovas

It's from my personal experience with living with the condition.
This make it even more special! =))

Really, keep going! I´ll show this game to my cousing when it´s ready and also will play along side him to see his reactions!

0.Bytes

Man, it looks so cool, the graphs are so good, loved the colors, good thing you to talk about the disease and it might help many people, great job !

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Man this is yeet, and as I said before:
I'd love to be a tester of the game some day :)
By the way, by comparation to your older games, this is sure a gem, a masterpiece: original, serious theme (asperger), adventurous, seems promising and well thought out :D, I would say that I'd even wish I was this good at making games, because this project is exceptional for sure... :)

Man this is yeet, and as I said before:
By the way, by comparation to your older games, this is sure a gem, a masterpiece: original, serious theme (asperger), adventurous, seems promising and well thought out :D, I would say that I'd even wish I was this good at making games, because this project is exceptional for sure... :)
Thanks

Also look what just happened!

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/11/the-australian-teenager-using-video-games-to-explain-autism/

http://www.news.com.au/technology/h...m/news-story/2dc4706e797da2f84f69927cd0ea697a

Carnivius

Screenshots make it not look like my kind of game to actually play but as someone who was only diagnosed with aspergers syndrome 2 and half years ago at age of 35 I feel I should probably have a go at this. It's just autism and aspergers affects everyone quite differently (for example I loathe being the center of attention and like to stick to the shadows while my friend Jack, also an aspie, loves it, as was clear by his 21st birthday party a few years ago when he sure as heck made sure we were all there to celebrate the wonder that is Jack :p ) and so the somewhat messy graphic style is kinda putting me off (I'm an annoying pixel purist) and also one huge reason I play video games is to 'escape the real world' and be someone else (and I tend to stick to relatively simple straight-forward games cos life is complex enough :p ).

I will try find some time real soon to download it and give it a proper play though just to see how another aspie deals with life and expresses it creatively. I have much respect for you producing this game as I get it must be quite personal and a way of opening yourself up to the world and letting folk see how you perceive things that people without autism just take for granted and don't even think about when living their lives. :)

I hope I have explained my feelings clearly there. I'm terrible at that and certainly I mean no offense to anyone (yet somehow I often do cause it). Good luck with the project and if you don't mind, I'll come back to the thread and perhaps share my thoughts when I've had time (and be in the right mind-set) to give the game a proper play. :)

Screenshots make it not look like my kind of game to actually play but as someone who was only diagnosed with aspergers syndrome 2 and half years ago at age of 35 I feel I should probably have a go at this. It's just autism and aspergers affects everyone quite differently (for example I loathe being the center of attention and like to stick to the shadows while my friend Jack, also an aspie, loves it, as was clear by his 21st birthday party a few years ago when he sure as heck made sure we were all there to celebrate the wonder that is Jack :p ) and so the somewhat messy graphic style is kinda putting me off (I'm an annoying pixel purist) and also one huge reason I play video games is to 'escape the real world' and be someone else (and I tend to stick to relatively simple straight-forward games cos life is complex enough :p ).

I will try find some time real soon to download it and give it a proper play though just to see how another aspie deals with life and expresses it creatively. I have much respect for you producing this game as I get it must be quite personal and a way of opening yourself up to the world and letting folk see how you perceive things that people without autism just take for granted and don't even think about when living their lives.:)

I hope I have explained my feelings clearly there. I'm terrible at that and certainly I mean no offense to anyone (yet somehow I often do cause it). Good luck with the project and if you don't mind, I'll come back to the thread and perhaps share my thoughts when I've had time (and be in the right mind-set) to give the game a proper play. :)
Thanks, mate. Yeah in the game it says this is my personal experience. But thanks for the feedback and keeping an open mind.:)

Also maybe hold off playing until the game is complete but that's up to you.

Last edited:

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Oh my god man! That's so cool!! They made an article about your game!!! :D :D :D
And you deserve it! Because you are doing it for a good reason, to make people understand what living with autism is, I'll say I will download this game as soon as it is released to experience it myself, it's honorable of you, for creating this game :)

-John

Carnivius

Thanks, mate. Yeah in the game it says this is my personal experience. But thanks for the feedback and keeping an open mind.:)

Also maybe hold off playing until the game is complete but that's up to you.
Yes I may wait til it's finished. Have clicked on the Gamejolt link and on the Follow button there. Have a good day, buddy. :)

Well, what a year! In the beginning, this was just some small project I was working on… And now it’s big. It’s become very big and I must thank you guys for that. So, let’s review 2017 for An Aspie Life.
Before we get into it I have a big announcement to make… UPDATE Version: 0.27.0 for An Aspie Life is out! https://gamejolt.com/games/an-aspie-life/209217

In terms of the game itself, a great deal of progress has occurred. The game is now about 83% done with all the story and gameplay almost finished being coded and implemented. This has taken longer than expected because of the new animation aim (to have every action in the game have its own unique animation, to add polish to the game and make it flow better). That being said, from where it was at the start of the year to where it is now is mind-boggling!

With all the systems that try to recreate autism that are now in the game, here’s a bit of what they do!

• All character in An Aspie Life are black outlines. By doing this, players can’t read body language. Just like with someone with autism.

• Some characters that the main character knows are not black outlines and have some detail. But they are still darkened. This represents how some with autism can learn someone’s body language.

• In the game, every environmental sound gets represented on the sound sensitivity meter. The player must keep this under control, so the main character does not become overwhelmed. This represents Sound sensitivity in autism.

• In conversations, the player again can’t read body language, as they are all black outlines. But they must try and figure out how to respond with limited vocabulary. This represents the difficulty Aspies have in putting thoughts into sentences that people can understand.

• Also in conversations, the player’s feeling meters of stress, happiness, courage and uneasiness will affect how a conversation plays out. For example, not much courage means you can’t look at the other person.

• In order to regenerate the feeling meter, players must go into quiet places or do things that the main character enjoys. That being playing video games.

• The game’s art style of blue and purple, represent not just the 80/90s feel of the game but also social isolation. Some items in the game that hold great importance to the main character are not in blue/purple but are in full colour, because of how important they are.

• When the player’s feeling meter is in the red, the main character will begin to do self-harm (banging his head against a wall). If not managed, he will eventually faint.

In terms of awards… there’s has been no end to that! Winning the Queensland iAwards was only the start! In the end, An Aspie Life pulled in over 5 awards from 3 competitions. Winner of the National senior students iAward, National Senior Screen it game award and now the National 11-12 Young ICT explores that it just won on the weekend!
In total 2017 has been big over the top blast of fun and excitement for this project. Now the fun begins… to get it done for its release on the …
30th of March 2018!

This #screenshotsaturday we have SOUNDS. The new audio engine has allowed me to add 3D sounds. This change will allow the environment to sound more realistic and therefore improve the game mechanics.

Hey there guys!
Apologies for my absence over the last 2 screenshot Saturdays, on holidays. This has not affected the game at all. It will still come out on the 30th of March! This screenshotsaturday is very big and there’s a lot to get through.

Firstly! As you read this, I’m getting the game’s steam page ready for release and early access. The game will hopefully be going into early access next week if all systems are go! I’ll notify all followers on the Aspie Life Facebook page as soon as the game is up. We’re going into early access to make sure the game is polished for its full release. For those wondering what we’re hoping to fix. It’s things like spelling/grammar errors, bugs and gameplay mechanics issues.

Secondly! With the game about to go into beta and its release just around the corner. I was wondering what you guys would think about an online store that will sell t-shirts with images of the game on it. I have no experience with these online ‘do it yourself t-shirts’. So, if you have any knowledge about what ones are the best or if you have used one in the past. Let me know in the comments.

Finally! In terms of the game itself, not much has happened apart from more polish... And maybe a few Easter Eggs. The Gif today is showing so improved details in the overworld.

Well, that’s it for another screenshotsaturday. See you guys next week!

Hey there guys.
It's Screenshotsaturday time again.
Firstly, all systems were not go this week for the Steam Early Acess release. Sorry for keeping you all waiting but I do have some good news! The game should be out tomorrow! Again I'll let everyone who follows the game know when it's out.

In other news, I've almost fixed all of the major bugs in the game. So the game should be fully playable without issues very soon.

So I'll see you all when the game is out.

New Update Out - sound/music controls!
21 FEBRUARY - ENDERLOSTSTUDIOS
Hey there again.

I've now started Uni, so I'm pushed for time. But here is a new update!

- Added control settings (Change music/sound level and graphics)
*in the future might allow you to redirect the key controls.
*press [Esc]

- Improved keyboard controls (I think I've got to the bottom of the issue, let me know what you think)

Well not too much, But still some improvements

- Bradley Hennessey
EnderLost Studios

Hey guys!
Well, one week to release!
It's THE FINAL #screenshotsaturday for An Aspie Life before release!
I spent all this week fixing up the last few bugs and issues.​
- Bank UI now fixed, NEW UI that makes sense and is simple.​
- Tutorial updated and fixed! Should work properly now.

- Small bugs fixed.

Well, here we are, almost there.
Thank you for playing An Aspie Life in early access, and giving feedback on the game.
Would never have been able to fix these bugs and other issues without your help. So again thanks!
Anyway, see you in 7 days!

An Aspie Life is now OUT! After a year and a half, we are finally here! An Aspie Life is now done… well mostly (still expect support and a bug fix every now and again).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/786410/An_Aspie_Life/

Welcome to the thank yous!

Well, thank you iAwards, ACMI, Young ICT Explorers and the teachers of Mansfield State High School for all the help to get me to where we are Today. Thanks.

Also, thank you, the members of the indie game groups. Again thank you for helping with the development.

I’m not expecting An Aspie Life to be a break out success. It’s not meant to be that, it’s goal is to portray Asperger syndrome. So because people keep saying "thank you for making this game, It means a lot" Then I think it’s successful in its own way.

In term of failures. I’ve learnt a lot from this project. Mainly, work out the UI and controls before the graphics.

Well, where now… I’m going to take a break for a year or 2 while I focus on Uni. That being said I’m going to be still making games… smaller games, going to game jams and learning Unity. plus developing the next game’s story and art… a game set 300 or so years after An Aspie life… But tackles a Sci-Fi topic.

I’ll be posting smaller games here —> https://www.facebook.com/EnderLost-Studios-376303806191020/

I’ll be posting work of the next game here —> https://www.facebook.com/KaveKeuNui/