Game Jam 80x45 Jam

Micah_DS

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish some of my work early for an important music project, so the free time I had planned on for Thursday is no longer free, and that was my only day available during the jam, meaning I can no longer participate.

T ^ T

So I'll just give you guys a random practice concept I made (80x45, 400% res):
Ho ho hoo! Merrrrrrrry Christmasseez!

(just ignore the fact the the light spikes have too much 'detail' compared to the rest of the graphics)

D

Davemane42

My plan for the following days sudently changed and ill hop out of it...... maybe next time

Hyomoto

I'll try to participate but to piggy-back off of @Nocturne, we already have this theme of a tiny screen. Is it really worthwhile to throw something on top of that? I realize we don't know what it is yet, but it if it ends up being "Thanksgiving" or "Hope", those are already abstract enough as it is, putting all these limitations seems to narrow down an already small thing.

Last edited:
M

Misu

Dont give up now, everyone.

I have the theme revealed!

Theme:
METAMORPHOSIS

(Oh hey... someone here guessed it right)

Ok, may the jam begin. You have 48hrs!
Good luck!

( Btw there is no daylight saving time where I am from; in case you dont know)

Hyomoto

Can my small window turn into a large window? Just kidding. I'M IN, but I work during the week so for me it'll be more of a 16 hour jam.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Just a though: can you not have an 80x45 view size, but resize the application surface to 800x450?
I haven't tried... But shouldn't it work?

Hyomoto

I'm guessing window scaling is allowed, 80x45 is very tiny on even a 1080p monitor, let alone anything larger. Also I have an issue with the window at that resolution, the vertical dimension is right but the width is wrong. I'm guessing Windows is forcing it to a certain minimum size to accomodate the minimize, maximize and close buttons.

Hyomoto

Even if it was against the rules, I was going to scale the window. Because I'm a wicked, wicked man.

R

rui.rosario

I only have tonight..... and that means I have t go to work tomorrow without sleeping. Let's see if I can manage to do something.

EDIT: First round of graphics complete. This is the sprite sheet for all the current graphics (bloated up ten times):
upload_2016-12-1_22-41-16.png

Last edited by a moderator:

HayManMarc

Ugh. Not making much progress. Spent too long trying to use GMS2. :( Started a new project in GMS1. Making a platformer--- "Invasion of the Pod People". Have basic movement and some sprites. Not sure how to proceed (gameplay). :/

Hyomoto

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only person with a 16 hour ( or less ) jam in them! I'll fight you for the mediocre, I'll fight you to my last ounce of responsibility! Here's what I've got:

Last edited:
R

rui.rosario

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only person with a 16 hour ( or less ) jam in them! I'll fight you for the mediocre, I'll fight you to my last ounce of responsibility! Here's what I've got:
Your game looks way better than mine (here's what I have so far xD)
upload_2016-12-1_23-48-19.png

Hyomoto

Man, I thought this thread would be more alive during the Jam. Is it usual for everyone to just heads down for 48 hours? Take a break and chat with your fellows!

A friend encountered a bug in my compiled code where numbers are randomly changing. I did, however, finish the core gameplay and I can move onto quality of life and game cycle ... and see if I can replicate that / fix it. Is that QoL? It feels QoL.

Last edited:

HayManMarc

Yep, heads down. :p

My "game" won't be much of a game. More of an experience. Will post a screenie after a bit.

Edit: maybe we're the only 3 actually participating?

T

TheUltimate

Gonna skip this one, I have no time to make anything. Maybe next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hyomoto

Alright, I should've have gone to bed two hours ago but I believe I've about finished. Just have to clean up the interface tomorrow, add a proper intro and game over cycle (right now it just crashes if you win or lose, yay!) but all the other logic appears to be working correctly. See you guys tomorrow! A sneek peek, don't be stingy ya'll!

HayManMarc

Probably won't finish, but here's a screenie so far. I'm re-using some old sprites I had.

And some new sprites I made....

Deer, pod plant with pod, and a pod person. All have animations.

Still no real gameplay yet -- lol. :p

R

rui.rosario

Your entries look so awesome :eek: Mine was frozen at that last screen (I had to go to sleep, my brain was super mushy).
How many hours are left? I may try to push something later today

M

Misu

Ill probably discard my first idea and do a puzzle instead. I am currently doing errands amd it will take up my entire day

HayManMarc

I only have 4 hours of work today, which leaves the rest of the day to code, but I still don't think that's enough. Looks like I'll be cutting corners, too. Actually, I think the corners will be cutting me! :p

Hyomoto

Nice! I can't wait to give it a try! I assume Misu is voting? But honestly, I think everyone who submits is a winner. Finishing and submitting is hardly anything to scoff at, and I look forwards to trying everyone's entries!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I have been working since lunchtime almost non stop on my entry... So that's about 7 hours so-far. Sadly I don't think I'm going to get anywhere near finished in time, as I only have till tonight to finish (tomorrow I'm travelling all day). :(

As usual, I've bitten off more than I can chew given the time limits... Oh well, here's a screenshot of what I have just now:

upload_2016-12-2_22-10-20.png

I may still submit it as an unfinished game... But at the moment it doesn't even have a main menu or anything!!!! Oh well...

Hyomoto

@KingdomOfGamez - Well, I just fixed my computer. I have ... a weird setup, but it uses two monitors and when I turned it on after work, both stopped working! For no apparent reason! But, I guess I fixed it and it's back to normal? Only time will tell. I think it was a driver issue, but since I didn't update anything and Windows claims it didn't either I suspect a wizard did it. I imagine everyone runs into some sort of a snag! That's part of the grading criteria : how much hardship did you endure!? NONE? YOU LOSE!

@Nocturne - Looks awesome. It's amazing how much detail you can pack into such a small space and with such a small palette. I really respect the minimalist style, as every pixel matters. My project feels absolutely decadent in comparison!

Anyways, since I can see again, I guess I'll try and finish this up! Good luck everybody!

R

rui.rosario

Still not at home:'( I'm afraid I won't be able to submit anything

HayManMarc

I'm having my doubts about my entry. There's still so much left to do, and I'm having a hard time focusing. We'll see...

Hyomoto

Order a pizza, settle in! IT'S OVER 9000! It's no problem, don't sweat it. There are no prizes and nobody wins anything, it's worth just putting it out there and getting the experience!

Last edited:
M

Misu

Oh hey, i forgot to specify if its 8 am or pm. Well... i guess ill make the deadline 8pm tomorrow so you all have opportunities (including me). Its not like the post said 48hours, nop, not at all... As for those who submit early, good job!

A

Aura

Perhaps you should set up a countdown clock, so that we're not working according to your timezone? It's getting annoying that way. ^^'

Did I say I'd enter?

Hyomoto

Don't you love it when you introduce really stupid bugs right at the end here? I mean, not hard to solve ones. But the kind that are so blindingly obvious you overlook them because you assume it must be something bigger? So, most everything is finally together, I cleaned up the code base, the game cycle exists ( even if game over is still a little abrupt ), music, sound effects and menu are implemented. I wonder if I should submit it now or make that small gameplay tweak I came up with? Who am I kidding, it's friday, I have a pizza, two energy drinks, it's dark and I'm wearing sunglasses. Let's do this!

(not at all because of the minor extension, nope, not at all)

Last edited:

HayManMarc

Oh hey, i forgot to specify if its 8 am or pm. Well... i guess ill make the deadline 8pm tomorrow so you all have opportunities (including me). Its not like the post said 48hours, nop, not at all... As for those who submit early, good job!
oh - an extra day! Well, in that case... maybe I still won't get this finished. But I'll get closer! :)

Hyomoto

I feel my use of theme is loose, but I'm happy with the game itself.

-edit- Thanks to posting this picture, I just realized the lighting is upside down on LOCK

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, I'm calling it a night. Too tired to concentrate any more... I've got the prototype into a mildly playable state at least and added a "proper" menu and things (although only "Play" and "Quit" work at the moment!).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ul1dx24rhupzcd/AlphaDog_80x45_Jam_Build.zip?dl=0

upload_2016-12-3_4-11-1.png

In the game, you use WASD to move, mouse to aim and Q & E to change weapons. You can also use gamepads (recommended!) but for that you need to press NumPad0 until it works (I have various control schemes in place but no interface to change them). You can also change the draw colour for the game with the numpad +/- keys and you can restart pressing F1. Oh and the theme is non-existent as I didn't have enough time to add the changing mechanics and story in... :(

Have fun!

(PS I'll expand on this game after the Jam as I'm quite enjoying working on it!).

Last edited: