Game Jam 80x45 Jam

M

Misu

Welcome to the 80x45 Jam!
I just thought of this random idea just now and perhaps would like people to join in on this!
Theme: METAMORPHOSIS

WHAT IS THIS?
This is a game making jam where you must create a game under a theme usage...

But here is the catch... the room view size has to be 80x45 (cannot be more or less)

With that kind of view size, you must established something real good and entertaining.

WHY SO SMALL?
This is a challenge that tests your limits on size usage and drawing interface. You must use your creativity to develop something legit.

WHEN IS THIS?
The jam will begin on December 1st, 8am (Eastern American Timezone)and ends at Dec. 3rd.

WHERE ARE THE RULES?
Right here!
- Your game entry must follow the right format to be qualified for voting:
+ View size must be 80 x 45; although port size can be any really (just make it comfortable to view though)
- Your project must be made with Game Maker (obviously); any version.
- You can work in team but must compose of 2 people only (including you).
- Game must be submitted before deadline. I'll allow 20 minutes extra of time due to time difference.
- You can't use 3D; not even fake 3D.
- All resources must be made from you. If any resource made by someone else, please give them credit within a read me file attached to your game with link to the source.
- Don't submit anything harmful... please...
- Voting phase will begin after Jam ends. Please note that more information on voting for this jam will be published after jam phase ends.
- Submit your entries by PMing me through message.
- Have fun!

HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Just reply in this thread in bold (eg: IM IN!)
In case you came late but during jam phase, you can still jump in the challenge by submitting an entry before deadline.

WHO WON?

HONOURABLE MENTIONS:
4. Phio Neon
5. Metamorphosis
6. Legend of Roy
:D

Look, banner!

Text version, if you want to spread the word (remove the . from the first two brackets):
[.url=][.img]https://goo.gl/Q0TPGm[/img][/URL]

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hmmm... Interesting. I have to ask, why have a theme? With the limits imposed, you don't NEED a theme and the 80x45 view limit is more than enough I feel, and I'd drop the whole "theme" idea. I think that a theme will put people off participating since they are already constrained by the size of the view and won't want an additional constraint (especially if they don't like the theme either).

Oh, and I'll probably participate. :)

M

Misu

I placed theme because I understand some people would start making games for a head start before the date. However, i might change it so I can remove it and place date for tomorrow to begin. That would be am alternative.

Also @Roa that was a typo. Ill fix it and apply changes to rules tomorrow. Im glad to see people joining on this challenge. :)

Edit: i changed it. Now the jam begins from this point and will end on December 1st. No themes required. Good luck

Last edited:

Roa

I placed theme because I understand some people would start making games for a head start before the date. However, i might change it so I can remove it and place date for tomorrow to begin. That would be am alternative.

Also @Roa that was a typo. Ill fix it and apply changes to rules tomorrow. Im glad to see people joining on this challenge. :)
soooo.... can we make it 44 or 46? 44 is a nice rounded number divided by 4

M

Misu

Sorry. Ill fix it now. Im actually at work right now so its hard for me to keep editting this.

Ok fixed. The jam starts now and ends on December 1st.

HayManMarc

So - not 48 hours anymore. Um, okay...?

Actually - why change the start date? just keep the theme and do it as originally planned. if the theme is relatively easy to abide by, it shouldn't be a problem.

M

Misu

Hmmm you right. I was only following Nocturne advice but i guess its better to do it that way.... is it ok if i change the date of the challenge and make it 48 hours?

HayManMarc

Change the date to what? If you change it to right now, then you've caught us off guard and others may not have even seen this yet. And some who have, may not have seen the changes yet. But, it's your jam - it's up to you.

Hmm, December 1st (Thursday) for 48 hours? Shame it's a bit unfair on those of us that have to work Thursday/Friday. :( Would think the weekend would be better but, it's your jam.

Last edited:
M

Misu

I am keeping it from december 1st to december 3rd. Official. And i will put theme back. I only put theme to make sure people dont get a head start on project

Z

zircher

When I first saw this, I immediately thought of text based games using a DOS screen (or emulation there of.)

S

Sudo_Radish

When I first saw this, I immediately thought of text based games using a DOS screen (or emulation there of.)
I played with the idea. To be honest I found it harder then needed and went to Inform to try and do that.

I have been toying with the oldschool approach. The limitations are interesting. I will be up for the challenge.

Roa

I know exactly what it is and how it's done, but I need to be 100% sure before I agree to make a game and then get told "Doesn't count; the rules clearly stated NO 3D."
its just sprite work. No fancy maths or projections. I think the point in no 3d was to prevent people from scaling games voiding the pixel limitation. Sprite work is sprite work. 3d is 3d. No advantage to using stuff like that. That would be extremely silly to have rules against people's preference in drawing :p Its obvious what he means.

M

Misu

@nacho_chicken Dont worry! That is qualified at least since its not real-time.

In addition, I would like you all to submit your entries as a zip containing the gm editable file instead of an exe. It appears that some people (not going to mention who here) would try to bypass the whole concept of 80x45 with a different workway. So if I dont see any use of view set in the room then thats a nono. Therefore I will need to revise your room settings to make sure its used properly.

I would then compile all your projects to exe and place them in a single zip file for you all to download. Should not be too big in size since its not a lot of people participating.

T

TheUltimate

I love this idea! I find I depend a lot on graphics in my games, it'll be fun to see how I do without being able to draw. The middle-of-the-week start time doesn't work for me at all, but I might try making something small. @Misu, why not make it a weekend thing? You'd get more participants.

EDIT:
In addition, I would like you all to submit your entries as a zip containing the gm editable file instead of an exe.
I don't agree with this, it feels unnecessary. I know it's for fun, but some people might not want to give out their source code. What I see is a Jam with a restriction on the graphics, not the coding. What kind of workarounds do you see breaking the rules? If the visible view is 80x45 pixels does it matter how somebody achieved it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Micah_DS

I was going to say "I'm in", but I'm also not a fan of giving out my source code in this case. That's 5 people against so far.

I don't see how it would be hard to ensure that there are only 80x45 pixels. Should be easy enough just to count pixels?

M

Misu

Well i had in mind at first to allow submit exe but i wanted to make this jam come out alright with good entries. I should just leave alone the users do their work and then evaluate the entries how they appear.
In other words, ill just allow the exe then.

As for dates, i picked that since i work at weekends so I cant really attend much those days unless its during morning hours. If there was any possibility, i would change it but i hate to bother with the constant changes at this point. Dont want to create anymore confusions.

Micah_DS

(snip) ill just allow the exe then.
In that case, I'M IN !

An 80x45 pixel limit sounds really fun to me for some reason. At first, I wondered why the weird size, but then I realized it's a 16:9 ratio and it scales up perfectly to 720p and 1080p, so it's really not weird at all, just very tiny.

L

Lemth

Well i had in mind at first to allow submit exe but i wanted to make this jam come out alright with good entries. I should just leave alone the users do their work and then evaluate the entries how they appear.
In other words, ill just allow the exe then.

As for dates, i picked that since i work at weekends so I cant really attend much those days unless its during morning hours. If there was any possibility, i would change it but i hate to bother with the constant changes at this point. Dont want to create anymore confusions.
IM I'N!

sylvain_l

An 80x45 pixel limit sounds really fun to me for some reason. At first, I wondered why the weird size, but then I realized it's a 16:9 ratio and it scales up perfectly to 720p and 1080p, so it's really not weird at all, just very tiny.
also scale up for my 2560x1440 screen

I feel quite uncomfortable with the challenge, but I can still give it a try, so
IM IN!
(sorry in advance if I end up with a dummy entry)

M

Misu

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! Here is something you can all enjoy!

THEME: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ I _

Micah_DS

Oh, there's a theme now? I thought it was just the tiny size that was going to be the limiting factor to spur on creativity. It's all good to me though, theme or not. Well, that is, as long as the theme is a good one. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!

M

Misu

Its not like the theme has two or three words... nop... not at all...
:squirrel: