Game Jam 80x45 Jam # 2

D

Deleted member 467

Alright this space is here is officially for my game now.

Latest entry (so you know if you I added anything recently): Entry 5 - 8/4/17 - 21:25

COLD - a game by Barvix (Download)
GMK

Please actually read the readme. Or if you won't then here's how you play:

Left and Right move you,
Up and Down work the cursor on questions
Z is used to answer questions, go to the next text, or go to the end of the current text

ENTRY 1
8/4/17 - 12:10

Intro in the first level of the game, also showing me manually editing my purity in the purity bar.

ENTRY 2
8/4/17 - 15:30

Title plus me walking around a bit, with a bug in turning. Scaled the game by another factor of 2, so it's x4 now. Starting to add the questions for level 1 now. (Which is what that blue box is on Earth, later it will be invisible)

ENTRY 3
8/4/17 - 16:06

Got the first of the 5 questions done for level 1. And pretty much all levels are going to be like this :| I know that almost will like this and it seems less like a game... but oh well, it's different for me and I'm doing it.

ENTRY 4
8/4/17 19:43

So this game is going to have odd questions, questions that many of you won't agree with. And more of you won't agree with the answers. And I can understand that, but these are my views. (I touch on this in the game). But I try to balance these with fluff questions to increase your Purity so you have a chance to beat the level.

Sorry, no images this time. That would spoil too much.

ENTRY 5
8/4/17 21:25

The game is finished, like completely finished. I made a track for the game, 5 complete levels, a title ... everything is done. The game is text heavy, so if you're not into that sort of thing just move on past mine. Will edit above with a link to the game on GameJolt when I finish getting material for there ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Storyteller

But it wouldn't be centralized. It would be 2 pixels on one end and 1 pixel on the other. Can't even fit normal tiles in 45 pixels. I can't work with screen size/gameplay area using odd numbers. Guess I'm out. Which is annoying as I would quite like to have done a small resolution challenge like 80x48 perhaps. Ah well. Good luck to everyone.
Im using 5x5 pixel tiles for my game and pretending its some weird 80s CMOS chip based knock-off console from 'third-wold-opolis'

View attachment 8575View attachment 8576
I'm working on something. I have some ideas made for it, but not a name yet :|
very nice visuals there.

R

rui.rosario

So much progress and I'm just going to continue development past my last screenshot now...

R

rui.rosario

Due to lack of definition to draw all 10 digits decided to show the level number in binary.

Screenshot (4x):
upload_2017-4-9_1-27-43.png

Currently translating the concept design into actual objects with minimal debugging state

Bingdom

Googledom
Well, here's mine

upload_2017-4-9_12-48-55.pngupload_2017-4-9_12-49-48.pngupload_2017-4-9_12-50-38.png

There are 5 levels in the game. The last level is a boss battle. Purity must be 100% before you can go to the next level. You gain purity from cleaning land. You go to the next level by walking to the very end of the room.

Since I'm the host, I won't count the game to be part of the votes.

V

Virtual Mage

How bad is it if I have absolutely no idea on a game and I kinda copy someone's game from here? lol

D

Deleted member 467

@Bingdom loved the game, very addictive. I think I made it to level 4 before my hand started to cramp up a ton and I had to quit playing. Today I will beat it, even if it takes a thousand tries to beat that level.

Edit: Beat the game! I must say, that boss was hard, as well as the last Runner guy on level 4, he was my biggest challenge in the game. Overall I loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Storyteller

ok, so can I just make my room cameras 80x45 and have the viewport be 800 x 450?
all of my sprites and tiles are 5x5 (or 5x10) including text. My rooms themselves are 1 room per screen.

I think this qualifies, if not I reckon I can make some changes. I think its about 'done'.
It is a complete (if very short) game. There are only a few screens, a couple of hazards and an item to collect, but it has a clear win condition, rules and a penalty for hazards, so I guess it qualifies. Heh, my first RPG...

I did what I set out to do, and that was get used to GM again. I got to implement a few basic systems I can build on later and got the gist of things. Coming back after being away so long, it was good to look around again on something purposeful. As always, GM allowed for rapid-prototyping. It also required a lot of jumping around from place to place, which to me, makes things harder to keep track of and work with. I think others probably like tiny bits all self contained. Still, Im 'getting used to it' again.

Anyway, here you are, a very tiny adventure game (as in Adventure TM, go look it up) staring a very tiny heroine.

The game is complete and can be "beaten".
Enjoy.

Nymphonia 1.0

Reactions: 607
M

Misu

My game is coming along great, Ive been working on it too much. Perhaps this one will make it all the way before the deadline. Now I got started with story build up and level design. After that's done, I should finally start working on art.

I'm living in the EST timezone, and not sure when the jam ends. We have about 24 hours left in the jam, correct? I'm just now able to start working on mine, so I don't want to start with only a little time left

Micah_DS

Ah, I am far behind everyone (as expected), but I wanted to post something just to show, yep, I'm working on something too~ :)

Would you believe I'm not using the built in camera/views and even the room size itself is 80x45? I like doing things this way, with one reason being that big room sizes use more memory.

THE PLANNED CONCEPT:
- It's a puzzle/action game, in the spirit of Chip's Challenge, The Adventures of Robbo, etc.
- Play the role of a wizard with the power of purification, able to purify any cursed object you touch.
There's a king who has a castle treasury full of monsters (not yet programmed, haha). The monster problem came about because of recently acquired bounty - precious gems, which ended up being cursed. Oops!
The king hired you to eliminate these monsters by nullifying the cursed power of the gems. Once all gems in a level are nullified, all the monsters on that level will dissipate and you can move on to the next level.

But anyway, back to work. Hope I can finish in time, but if not, I'm going to keep going even if I don't make the deadline.

DukeSoft

You're joking, right? :p
Count the pixels for me :) See all those tiny particles? They move very smooth. They are not 1px particles. Either he's using 10x10 sprites as a pixel, or, as is probably the case, he's using the scaling of GM. The application surface should be 80x45.

EDIT: This happened in the previous 80x45 challenge as well, and some of those games even won.. I was working on a game as well, check out the particles here. You can see that these are in fact just 1 px.

HayManMarc

All I did was make the port size bigger. As for the smooth movement, some of them are moving at less than 1 speed (0.2 - 0.9). Apparently, GM takes the port size into account and moves them accordingly. This was purely unintentional and an oversight. I will need to change those speeds to be increments of whole numbers to satisfy DukeSoft. I wonder how many other games in this challenge have the same issues?

Count the pixels for me :) See all those tiny particles? They move very smooth. They are not 1px particles. Either he's using 10x10 sprites as a pixel, or, as is probably the case, he's using the scaling of GM. The application surface should be 80x45.
Egg on my face! I was just looking at the size of the character, hahah. You're right that there are indeed sub-pixel shennanigans going on there. It's 5am here, sorry!

DukeSoft

All I did was make the port size bigger. As for the smooth movement, some of them are moving at less than 1 speed (0.2 - 0.9). Apparently, GM takes the port size into account and moves them accordingly. This was purely unintentional and an oversight. I will need to change those speeds to be increments of whole numbers to satisfy DukeSoft. I wonder how many other games in this challenge have the same issues?
I understand where its coming from, but its been stated before; the solution is pretty easy:
Good point. You cannot use the crisp rotating. Pretend your monitor is 80x45.

For anyone who doesn't know how to do this:
Code:
surface_resize(application_surface, 80, 45);
And I'm sorry if I sound harsh, don't mean it mean.

Reactions: 607

Bingdom

Googledom
I will not make it to announce the end of the jam. Will provide a zip 24 hours from now.
I'm living in the EST timezone, and not sure when the jam ends. We have about 24 hours left in the jam, correct? I'm just now able to start working on mine, so I don't want to start with only a little time left
From the time of that post, you are correct.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
I had the same problem since some of my objects move slower than 1, but I figured out how to fix that without rescaling... Since my GM version aparently doesn't have that function :( (Game Maker Studio Professional Edition v1.1.754)

HayManMarc

Fixed it with this:
Code:
surface_resize(application_surface, 80, 45);
and didn't have to change any code. :)

That was easy. Thanks for the heads up.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
"Game Maker Studio Professional Edition v1.1.754"
Hrmmmm... I have to ask why you're running such an outdated version of GMS.

Micah_DS

A little less than 2 and a half hours left, so it looks like the red and blue fire monsters are the only enemies that made it in.

I have most everything programmed and working as intended, though it's lacking some "juice", especially in the menu area. But I really have to crunch for levels more than anything.
Looks like it won't get music or sounds. Well, not until a post-jam release. ;)

Woohoo! I'll finally have some time to finish up something decent, at the least. I wasn't looking forward to submitting the barebones platformer I've got right now haha

R

rui.rosario

Won't be able to submit anything, got too busy these last couple days :(

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Oh boy 48 minutes to go!

I'm almost done!!!

And yeah I'll try to update the Game maker, or buy GMS2

Last edited:
M

Misu

10 minutes left. I have updated my game (fixed a couple of bugs except for the stairs)

Still no sound ;-;

Micah_DS

EDIT: I was a few minutes late, but here it is:

I dub thee "Conundrum Castle"

Download (DropBox)

(another edit: realized I should've kept what I said so Misu's post made more sense. In my defense, I stayed up all night and my brain is now toast...)

Last edited:

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Ok here's my entry!!!

Darkness Wipeout
by John Andrews
Your home needs you! And you'll have to fight for it:

The evil Lordmaster has been revived from it's eternal tomb and he is making it's evil forces attack the land that is your home, Ice realm, Forest, Badlands, Desert, they've been all taken by these evil beings, and in your last stand in the Grassy Plains you are able to build a giant tower with a turret that you can control to fight off these creatures, now go on and banish all the evil from your homeland before it's too late...

The objective of the game is to not let the enemies get to your side by any means, to do this you have a turret and bombs at your disposal, you can also send warriors through the upgrades tab, at the end of each zone is a boss that has it's own special abilities and affects the game differently.

Controls:
Click to advance the scenes, also click to shoot.

To open the upgrades tab, slide the cursor over the top-center of the game display, then you can upgrade whatever you want or send troops.

Press space to throw a bomb, some enemies will have to be blasted to be killed, and some enemies are unaffected by explosions.

Download Darkness Wipeout

Upgrades Tab:
The upgrade tab is split in 3 parts: The support(left) side, The offensive(right) side and the core(center) side.

Here's an explanation of every icon:

Sword Icon: Sends a melee warrior at the cost of 50 gold.

Bow Icon: Sends a ranged warrior at the cost of 100 gold.

Upgrade Icon(Green arrow pointing upwards): Upgrades your tower and it's turret, adding 0.1 to it's damage multiplier and 5 to its hp, super useful.

Damage Icon: Adds 0.1 to the turret's damage multiplier.

Bullet Speed Icon(Blue arrow pointing to the right): Makes the bullets faster.
It was going to be crucial on higher levels since there was going to be flying enemies that would dodge slow bullets, but this was never implemented so this upgrade is pretty unuseful :(

Bomb Icon: Gives you an extra bomb at the cost of 100 gold.

Barricade upgrade: Upgrades your barricade, you spawn without one so you'll have yo buy one as fast as possible.

Health (Heart Icon): Cures 5 hp at the cost of 100 gold, very useful.

Faster shooting: Improves the cooldown of the turret, making it shoot more bullets per second, really useful and beneficial.

Faster turret movement: It makes the turret move faster to the height of the cursor, if you are impatient then this upgrade is useful.

ATTENTION: This information doesn't appear anywhere in the game, so if you want a complete game experience, don't read this, I just put it here for information
Enemies:

BASIC (Anywhere):

-Goon-
2 HP
1 Damage
speed=1
The most basic and weaker enemy in the game, he basically just runs to you wanting to stop you from whatever you want to do.

-Thief-
5 HP
2 Damage
speed=0.5
Tougher than the goon, but slower too, this is the most common enemy in the game, and can be a threat too in large groups of enemies, watch out when they come in big waves.

-Golem-
10 HP
3 Damage
speed=0.4
Even tougher, even slower, a big threat to consider, since he has the double of hitpoints than the thief, dont let his slowness fool you, be aware of them when they become the main attack force.

-Titan-
20 HP
5 Damage
speed=0.2
The toughest, bigger, menancing, slowest enemy in the game, with a terrifying 20 hit points, it can easily resist 5 explosions without flinching, and when they are too close to you, consider yourself over.

-Flying thing-
3 HP
1 Damage
speed=0.9
It's just a piece of flying stuff that approaches you at a mildly alarming pace, since it's flying it will distract you from the land enemies.

-Hovercraft-
5 HP
3 Damage
speed=0.4
When the enemies finally became intelligent, they built this, and it does a lot of damage so be sure to destroy them quickly

-Flying beast-
15 HP
5 Damage
speed=0.4
If a titan were to go flying, this would be the result, but since it is too heavy, it had to drop half the hitpoints, and still use balloons to hover correctly, and use some wings to keep itself at the same height, in short; heavy things shouldn't fly.

DESERT:

-Mummy-
2 HP
1 Damage
speed=1
Just like the goon, but it drops sand instead of bog, still pretty much the same...

-Humpback cactiman-
5 HP
2 Damage
speed=0.5
The same hitpoints ammount and speed of the thief, but when this guy gets blasted, then he releases a bunch of spikes of his cactus, poor man how did he get like that?

-Quicksand jam-
10 HP
3 Damage
speed=0.4
Just looking at it makes you realize you are in trouble, this fat looking sand agglomeration quickly moves towards you if you blast it, so be careful who you throw bombs to.

-Sand titan-
20 HP
5 Damage
speed=0.2
Yes, this was the one needed to complete the pack, this evil formation of sand and clay brimming with cacti will make your life impossible as it countershoots you with sharps needles every time you shoot it, and to top it off, any time it is blasted, it swarms you with spikes, how annoying.

BADLANDS:

-Crazy warrior-
1.1 HP
1 Damage
speed=1.7
Very fast, but weak, it will rush at you at full speed, be careful when they come in swarms.

-Shield warrior-
6 HP
1 Damage
speed=0.5
This guy is more annoying than anything, he weilds a shield that protects him and anything behind him, and the only way to destroy it is with a bomb, annoying!

-Catapult-
8 HP
1 Damage
speed=0.4 & 0
It rides a bit until it stops in a random position after the middle of the battlefield, shooting heavy rocks from time to time, it's only weakness is that it is destroyed after one explosion.

-Siege tower-
30 HP
0 Damage
speed=0.3 & 0
Not a titan, and it doesn't attack, but it sure is a hindrance, it will stop in the middle of the field and drop out 10 warriors and 3 shield warriors, and then it just stays there, blocking all your bullets, annoying.

FOREST:

-Leaf walker-
3 HP
2 Damage
speed=0.8 & 2.2
Not so fast, but a bit tough, they come just shooting some leaves at you, they resist explosions a lot, and if they are blasted, they quicly run at you, so be careful.
PD: It's not a creeper, dammit!

-Nature elemental-
8 HP
5 Damage
speed=0.4
This guy is a real threat, he is surrounded by smaller, undestructible leafs, so actually shooting this guy is hard as heck, is better to just blast him.

-Life guardian-
3 HP
0 Damage
speed= 1.2 & 0
It's just some kind of saucer that displays an undestructable shield below itself, and since this thing is airborne, it is hard to destroy since bombs wont usually help.

-Mud beast-
20 HP
5 Damage
speed=0.4
This is a real threat, it's fast for the hitpoints it has, and it also fires back some leaves if it is blasted, so you'll have to use different techniques against it.

ICE REALM:

-Iceman-
4 HP
2 Damage
speed=0.9
Fast and tough, for it's size, that are pretty hard to destroy, so careful with this one.

-Icepick summoner-
6 HP
3 Damage
speed=0.5
Just like the old annoying times, this guy summons an icepick in the middle of the field to guard everyone from fire, and it also slowly approaches you so it isn't just a normal caster!

-Ice golem-
12 HP
5 Damage
speed=0.3
The golem in form of solid ice, it's somewhat threatful so destroy it on sight.

-Blizzardo-
40 HP
10 Damage
speed=0.2
The most threatful enemy of the game, with a high damage & hitpoints, it can destroy you instantly if you are at level one, and it creates a blinding blizzard, so destroy it asap!

BOSSES:

-Dripping bog monster-
70 HP
999 Damage
speed=0.3
When the remainings of your enemies got reanimated, they recombined into this thing, it drips bog and some lesser enemies, such an annoy.

-Dust devil-
50 HP
0.2 Damage
speed=0.3 & 0
It whirls to the other side of the field and starts shooting cactus spikes, and while it is active the land enemies still spawn, but at a lower rate.

-Devil devil-
100 HP
999 Damage
speed=0.3
Walking to your doom comes this being from hell, it has a frightning chance of firebreathing at you if you blast it, so shoot at will and test your luck by making it explode.

-Cursed tree-
80 HP
0.5 Damage
speed=0
It appears from the ground and then starts spawning leaf walkers and nature elementals, it will randomly shoot leaves at you if you shoot at it, the explosions aren't really effective against it.

-Lordmaster-
150 HP
0.25 Damage
speed=0.4 & 0
The cause of all this mess, this giant energy or spiritual or gas eyeball wants to destroy everything in this land, why? We don't know, all we know is that it must be stopped!

Just some big fellas here and some flying enemies.

Sand titans don't like to be blown up...

Getting assaulted by some machinery.

So they get protected now?

Hmm... I wonder why they're wearing masks...

Last edited:
SquareSquared

Quick platformer game where you must purify every block in a stage to continue.
(Sequential stages were not able to be made, as I didn't have enough time to put into it... But feel free to mess around in the test levels that are included!)

I wanted to at least make 1 "world" with ~10 stages, but got backlogged. But since I have almost everything behind the scenes complete, maybe later I'll at least go and finish up what I wanted to do for this jam :)

Link here!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzW2J1-U0K2JRDJ1N2RTUDJGeE0

Last edited: