Game Jam 80x45 Jam # 2

R

rui.rosario

One question? Does it have to be 80x45 or can it be 45x80? The second one would fare better for my initial idea

R

rui.rosario

Well, then I already know what I want to do:
You have a sample of DNA infected by a nasty virus. It is your job to purify it through recombination of different RNA.

Well, this is the idea at least, let's start thinking of execution to see if it is feasible.
(too much inspired by the TV Show I've been seeing, Helix)

Bingdom

Googledom
Purification?? Yeah, I got nothin'. :/
Could be travelling inside a mind of an evil monster, purifying thoughts to change their personality.

Doctor run - Try to get as many sick people to the hospital in 1 minute.

Drag and drop components together to form gas masks. Try to create as many as you can in 1 minute

D

Deleted member 467

I GOT THIS JAM - if I can properly represent my character good

R

rui.rosario

Concept art for the game screen (5x):

upload_2017-4-8_1-34-58.png

EDIT: Opted for the 80x45, gives more wiggle room for nucleotide comparison

Last edited by a moderator:

HayManMarc

Still no great ideas. *sigh*

Edit: Why purification? Who came up with that for the theme?

Last edited:
S

Storyteller

so, we can scale up to display right?
the game graphics have to be 80x45, but we can display them in a window that is a multiple of that? as long as the graphics conform to 80x45?

Im thinking this comp is like an atari displayed on an HD tv.
Makes you recognize how much they had to work with back in the day.

My concept so far is maybe an adventure game where you purify a spring, or maybe a cell that fights other cells... possibly a water boiling simulator or something with a vacuum cleaner... idk yet. Whatever it is, it will be very, very simple.

HayManMarc

Yes, scaling up the display to show those huge pixels! Lol
(edit: in other words, using port size to make it fit the screen, or at least big enough to SEE.)

I think I might have an idea.

Bingdom

Googledom
so, we can scale up to display right?
the game graphics have to be 80x45, but we can display them in a window that is a multiple of that? as long as the graphics conform to 80x45?
Yes, you can increase the view_port.

Sprites can be bigger (incase if you want to do a large background for a bigger room), but you cannot downscale the image. image_x/yscale >= 1.

Edit:

Incase if someone doesn't know how to re scale their GUI
Code:
display_set_gui_size(80,45);
display_set_gui_maximise(display_get_width()/80,display_get_height()/45);

Last edited:
I'm curious, are we allowing the crisp rendering that comes built-in with gamemaker when rotating a sprite? I feel like it takes a lot away from the aesthetic of the game if everything is pixelated yet can smoothly be turned (like @Lukan 's gif shows). I purposely didn't do this in my last entry (because of the reason I said above) by drawing things to a surface, and then drawing only that surface in the End Draw Event - this way everything is kept pixelated at the a 80x45 resolution.

Bingdom

Googledom
I'm curious, are we allowing the crisp rendering that comes built-in with gamemaker when rotating a sprite? I feel like it takes a lot away from the aesthetic of the game if everything is pixelated yet can smoothly be turned (like @Lukan 's gif shows). I purposely didn't do this in my last entry (because of the reason I said above) by drawing things to a surface, and then drawing only that surface in the End Draw Event - this way everything is kept pixelated at the a 80x45 resolution.
Good point. You cannot use the crisp rotating. Pretend your monitor is 80x45.

For anyone who doesn't know how to do this:
Code:
surface_resize(application_surface, 80, 45);

Reactions: 607

hippyman

Well I'm bored of trying to understand the Win32 API. I say this a lot so don't expect anything from me but I'll try and make something.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak

Innocent ol me being ambushed by galactic scum.
Probably upset by the fact that I'm destroying their solar system.

HayManMarc

I think the game looks better if you CAN use the crisp rendering that comes built-in with gamemaker when rotating a sprite. Why should it matter as long as we're still using the 80x45 restriction? Shouldn't this be a personal choice?

Is this a retro challenge or a display resolution challenge?

sylvain_l

Dirty Sector
By Lukan Spellweaver

Thrust: Right Mouse Button
Shoot: Left Mouse Button
Goal: Destroy all the planets in the sector to purify it of lesser races! MWAHAHAHAHAHA

Download
GameJolt Mirror
lol, someone finished an entry, while I barely get an idea for mine.

need too much text... that can't fit in a 80x45 :D
@Bingdom are we allowed to use a pdf as readme file... or perhaps let's say deciphering what my crapy pixelated things represent is part of the game :D

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Those shadows look higher res than 80x45 ;)
Shhhhhh!

The game is made at 80x45 resolution, but I still haven't modified the app surface size, so things like my vertex buffers are being rendered at 800x450... I'll get to that later when I add in proper resolution support (although I do kinda like the "soft" shadows... :( ).

I wasn't going to say anything, but...
Also, you're not copy pasting that lighting code, are you, Nocturne? Reminds me a little of something else you've been working on awhile now... :p

Does it go against the spirit of the jam to use things we have "in our toolbox?" I have a lot of art and color palettes I could retool to make things much quicker, but that feels a little dirty. It feels like a lot of other people probably reuse code and stuff, though...

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Yes, I AM using my lighting engine. You want to make something of it? Eh?

:bunny:

Seriously, though, lighting is essential to the concept of my game, but if people feel it's against the spirit of the Jam, or if @Bingdom says it's a no-no (in which case the rules should be updated), then I'll ensure my game won't appear on the voting list... assuming I actually finish anything! Note though, that in a lot of Jams you can use scripts and assets and things as long as it's mentioned with the submission...

V

Virtual Mage

Purification.... Just why...

Next time I hope to see a theme that I can actually make a game about .-. What do you even actually mean by purification? Like in religion or what :S

sylvain_l

in theory, it not forbidden to use others ressources as long as:
If any resources have been made by someone else, please give them credit within a readme file attached to your game with the link to the source. Please try to make everything made by you.
shouldn't be a problem if you are the author too, as long as other participant can use it too ;) If it a private ressources it gives an unfair advantage :p

Roderick

What do you even actually mean by purification?
He doesn't mean anything at all by it. That seems to be the general idea behind Jam Themes; they're deliberately vague and open-ended so that you can make your own decision what it means.

In a recent Ludum Dare (similar idea), the theme was Retro Tech. Most people made Atari-style games. One guy made a super fancy 3D game about catapults.

V

Virtual Mage

He doesn't mean anything at all by it. That seems to be the general idea behind Jam Themes; they're deliberately vague and open-ended so that you can make your own decision what it means.

In a recent Ludum Dare (similar idea), the theme was Retro Tech. Most people made Atari-style games. One guy made a super fancy 3D game about catapults.
Hmm... Well I don't know. I can't come up with anything :T

Bingdom

Googledom
@Bingdom are we allowed to use a pdf as readme file... or perhaps let's say deciphering what my crapy pixelated things represent is part of the game :D
If you want to, but make a text file in case if someone cannot open pdf files.

Seriously, though, lighting is essential to the concept of my game, but if people feel it's against the spirit of the Jam, or if @Bingdom says it's a no-no (in which case the rules should be updated)
in theory, it not forbidden to use others ressources as long as:

shouldn't be a problem if you are the author too, as long as other participant can use it too ;) If it a private ressources it gives an unfair advantage :p
Roa was going to do something like this but I told him it was not something you're supposed to do. He could've said nothing and no one would notice. If Rich didn't say anything, some people wouldn't notice it was already one of Noc's assets on the Marketplace. I was going to add a rule that any pre-made assets you add to your game would have to be shared publically with everyone else to make it fair. The problem with that though is that the assets may not be beneficial to everyone, which is still giving a few people a disadvantage.

Note though, that in a lot of Jams you can use scripts and assets and things as long as it's mentioned with the submission...
Well, I guess it would be ok then. ;)

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Well, I'm not going to give away my lighting engine, as it's a top seller on the Marketplace... So, I guess I just won't submit it for voting. No big deal, I'm having fun participating. :)

Carnivius

But it wouldn't be centralized. It would be 2 pixels on one end and 1 pixel on the other. Can't even fit normal tiles in 45 pixels. I can't work with screen size/gameplay area using odd numbers. Guess I'm out. Which is annoying as I would quite like to have done a small resolution challenge like 80x48 perhaps. Ah well. Good luck to everyone.

Yes, I AM using my lighting engine. You want to make something of it? Eh?

:bunny:

Seriously, though, lighting is essential to the concept of my game, but if people feel it's against the spirit of the Jam, or if @Bingdom says it's a no-no (in which case the rules should be updated), then I'll ensure my game won't appear on the voting list... assuming I actually finish anything! Note though, that in a lot of Jams you can use scripts and assets and things as long as it's mentioned with the submission...
Yeah, I don't mind whether or not you use it. Just seems against the spirit of a "create a game real fast!" contest to use old code that took me two weeks to perfect before. Then again though, if I already coded it, where's the line? Is rereading my code as a refresher and then recoding everything real quick okay? Is repurposing old art I have lying around okay? Can I use my character bases or color palettes? I mean, I could submit a fully functioning (lo res) RPG to this jam, but that doesn't seem to be what this is all about, haha!

Using anything I have lying around seems like a grey area to me, so I'd just start everything fresh if I entered one of these things. I dunno. These are just for fun anyway though, so a disclaimer on your game is probably just fine. ::shrug::

Last edited:

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
I used snippets of homestead code for my healthier thingy, but its generic code I use in... Well all of my games.

Also, I'm in love with nocturnes visuals there. I am sooooo buying aura later.