Game Jam 80x45 Jam # 2

Bingdom

Googledom
Jam has ended
80x45 Jam large #2.png
With permission from @Misu, I present you 80x45 Jam #2!
Original Thread
Theme: Purification

WHAT IS THIS?
This is a game making jam where you must create a game under a theme...
But here is the catch... the room view size has to be 80x45 (cannot be more or less)

WHY SO SMALL?
This is a challenge that tests your limits on a size usage and drawing interface. You must use your creativity to develop something legit.

WHEN IS THIS?
The jam will begin on 8th of April, 10 AM AEST and will last for 72 hours. When the jam starts, the theme will be revealed.

Rules
  • Your game entry must follow the right format to be qualified for voting:
  • View size and gui must be 80 x 45; although port size can be any really (just make it comfortable to view though). Pretend your monitor is 80 x 45.
  • Run the following commands to get the requirements:
    Code:
    display_set_gui_size(80,45);
    display_set_gui_maximise(display_get_width()/80,display_get_height()/45);

surface_resize(application_surface,80,45);
  • Your project must be made with Game Maker. It can be any version.
  • You can work in a pair, but it cannot be any larger.
  • The game must be submitted before the deadline.
  • You can't use 3D; not even fake 3D.
  • If any resources have been made by someone else, please give them credit within a readme file attached to your game with the link to the source. Please try to make everything made by you. If you implementing already made assets, please note it in the readme file.
  • Don't submit anything harmful... please...
  • Submit your entries in this thread!
  • If you have a readme file, please put the game and readme in a folder.
  • Your room can be any size. This opens opportunities to mini adventure games.
  • Cannot scale down any sprites.
  • Don't forget to have fun!

Voting Rules
  • I will create a zip file containing all the games for you to try out. Voting will start and last for 3 days once I've uploaded the zip.
  • You cannot vote for yourself
  • PM me your votes. You can only vote up to 3 people.
Scoring
Once you have pm'd me a list of votes, the highest preference will be given up to 3 points, second place 2 points, and the lowest will be given 1. If you only vote for one person, they'll be given only 1 point. If you vote for 2 people, the person with the highest preference will be given 2 points and the last would be given 1 point.

Banner

If you want to promote the jam, past the image in your signature. Highlight it with your mouse then click upload_2017-4-6_15-47-56.png Paste the url of this page and viola!

Last edited:

Roderick

I have a week of time off this month. The week after the jam.

Of course, even if it were on the right week for me, I'd be spending most of the first day at work, at home packing, or on a bus.

I never get to join in on the jams. :(

Last edited:

Micah_DS

Dang, I want to make something, but I work a lot during that timeframe. Might have a few hours to do something, but I'd be working under fatigue. Still, planning to give it a shot, because I never learn and I love a good jam.

EDIT - Just noticed this in the OP:
Submit your entries in this thread! Please keep this place for announcements or for reserved space.
I guess this post is me announcing that I'm in?... if it has to be, it could also be reserved space.. feels a bit weird, but I understand it's because it all needs to be on one thread.
In any case, I should've read the OP fully before posting. Shame on me.

Last edited:

Bingdom

Googledom
If it makes it easier for a lot of people, I can push it to an additional 12 hours.

EDIT - Just noticed this in the OP:
I guess this post is me announcing that I'm in?... if it has to be, it could also be reserved space.. feels a bit weird, but I understand it's because it all needs to be on one thread.
In any case, I should've read the OP fully before posting. Shame on me.
It's ok. You don't have to follow it. If you have questions or have something to say, go ahead. ;)

I'll edit it out. I agree, it kinda would feel weird.

Micah_DS

If it makes it easier for a lot of people, I can push it to an additional 12 hours.
Actually, since it's AEST, that's UTC +10, and I'm at UTC -8, so I just realized that I should get a few hours free at the very beginning! Now I'm extra excited!

Bingdom

Googledom
Due to the conflict with GM48, I propose we should shorten the start date to the 8th of April. (In the next 2 days on Saturday, instead of Friday next week).

I'll change it if mostly everyone prefers this way.

DukeSoft

Sooo.. Again. There have been people that use a 80x45 room / view, but use 64x64 sprites that they scale, so there's more than 80x45 pixels on the screen. Is this allowed again? Because if so i'm not joining

M

Misu

ok well, the whole (original) idea of the jam is to experiment with space usage, testing your skills on how can you manage to use a small space in the game display. Rescaling means that you can actually make any size game and stretch it. I mean thats not a challenge, its a short cut to winning. The point is that you really need to develop your abilities and creativity with these kind of limits. That's what this is all about.

However... Im not the host anymore so that is up to @Bingdom to decide.

Bingdom

Googledom
Sooo.. Again. There have been people that use a 80x45 room / view, but use 64x64 sprites that they scale, so there's more than 80x45 pixels on the screen. Is this allowed again? Because if so i'm not joining
I haven't experimented with 80x45 view sizes to really give a good answer.

For now, the additional rules are:
  • Your room can be any size. This opens opportunities to mini adventure games.
  • Cannot scale down any sprites.

DukeSoft

How about this:

The end result must exist out of 80x45 pixels.

So on screen they can be 80x45 squares of 10x10 pixels, but it must be 80x45?

Bingdom

Googledom
So on screen they can be 80x45 squares of 10x10 pixels, but it must be 80x45?
Sorry, I don't fully understand. Do you mean something like this?
[ 80x45 ].[ 80x45 ].....[ 80x45 ]
[ 80x45 ]....................[ 80x45 ].10
Then shrink it down by 10x to match 80x45?

Sorry for the time shift guys!
I'm moving it to the 8th of April. I doubt hardly anyone would choose this over GM48.
All of the sudden you cannot upload images to your signature (you used to not be able to, maybe this was accidently enabled). Not to worry, I've made the image link to my dropbox and the same method should work.
Please update your banners! :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 467

I volunteer as tribute, to join this jam.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rui.rosario

Might participate, if fits nicely within my vacations, although I already have some stuff to do during that timeframe.

I think I'll give this a go once again! Enjoyed working with the constraint last time, and looking forward to working with it for this jam as well.

GMWolf

aka fel666
You known a much better way of putting it is: the game must be displayed using 80Ă—45 pixels.

Reactions: 607

Micah_DS

With the time change, I can no longer participate. :( Unless you're willing to extend 12 hours like before?

Last edited:
R

rui.rosario

Seems like @Misu is calling the shots... Indirectly that is, just suggesting something like it shouldn't happen :p

Micah_DS

When I was host, Id give atleast a an hour or 2 more
I did told @Bingdom to extend it to a 3 day instead of two. Thopught it would be better for everyone to have more time
Not sure about anyone else, but that extra day (or half a day) would make all the difference for me. Crossing fingers.

Bingdom

Googledom
I did told @Bingdom to extend it to a 3 day instead of two. Thopught it would be better for everyone to have more time
I don't remember you telling me this. You only suggested moving it a week earlier.

Since there isn't going to be many people, I need as many people we can get. I'll extend it to be an additional 24 hours longer. ;)

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I'll probably try and enter something... What's the theme? You going to wait till the very start to tell us?

Bingdom

Googledom
I'll probably try and enter something... What's the theme? You going to wait till the very start to tell us?
Yes. Is that a bad idea? I kinda forgot how the original GMC jam ran.

I may have a dastardly plan...
May i ask, why no 3D of any kind?
Not sure. It was the original rules. Maybe because the idea of the jam is to work with very limited space.

Bingdom

Googledom
3D doesnt stop that: you still have limited pixels to display the game.
That still means bold textures, etc.
(Assumptions)
Making a 3D game gives you more room because you now have a 3rd dimension to work with.
The vertices can vary much more than 2D.
Yes you can expand room sizes in 2D, but it would be quite difficult to fit the GUI, player and terrain all at the same time on one screen. In 3D, you don't have have to worry much about that, as the player could just look up from the ground if they have difficulty determining their position and you don't need to draw the player (more room to draw stuff). Anyways, wouldn't it be difficult to see things far away?

I haven't played around with 80x45 views yet. Rules are copied straight from the previous jam. Maybe there's a valid reason why Misu didn't allow it.

Edit: oh?

Last edited:

DukeSoft

3D or 2D would be just as hard as you'll need to make it clear what you're doing using only 80x45 pixels

R

rui.rosario

The jam will begin on 8th of April, 10 AM AEST and will last for 72 hours. When the jam starts, the theme will be revealed.
If I'm not mistaken this starts in around 6 / 7 hours, correct?

Roderick

10 AM Saturday AEST = 5pm Friday PST / 8pm Friday EST.

(Select the timeand time zone, then right-click and choose "Search Google" in Chrome, and Google will tell you what it is in your location.)

John Andrews

Living Enigma
I'll participate here I go LOOL I just found this out and I signed up 1 day before the thing! :D

SO HAPPY & HYPED :D

Last edited: