Android [80%] Doubt with virtual_key

Hello everybody!
I'm having trouble creating a virtual_key system with the keyboard keys on GMS2. I'm following the tutorials all and doing it the right way but it does not work on android.

CREATE
Code:
var vx=camera_get_view_width(view_camera[0]);
var vy=camera_get_view_height(view_camera[0]);
display_set_gui_size(vx,vy);
DRAW GUI
Code:
if instance_exists(ob_bleft) { global.vb_left= virtual_key_add(30, 400, 70, 70, vk_left) }
if instance_exists(ob_bright) { global.vb_right= virtual_key_add(60, 400, 70, 70, vk_right) }
if instance_exists(ob_batack) { global.vb_atack= virtual_key_add(200, 400, 70, 70, ord("C")) }
if instance_exists(ob_bjump) { global.vb_jump= virtual_key_add(300, 400, 70, 70, ord("X")) }

chorrus

Hi!

You only need to set up virtual keys once, so use virtual_key_add function in the create event. To check where they are being drawn which is useful when setting them up to make sure everything is correct use virtual_key_show
And even though in the official docs they are using a global variable for this I wouldn't a simple variable will work too.

Let me know if you have any problems, I'm sure I'll be able to help :D

Hi!

You only need to set up virtual keys once, so use virtual_key_add function in the create event. To check where they are being drawn which is useful when setting them up to make sure everything is correct use virtual_key_show
And even though in the official docs they are using a global variable for this I wouldn't a simple variable will work too.

Let me know if you have any problems, I'm sure I'll be able to help :D
So, it actually got much better and lighter following your tips, I took the global var and put it in create_event. But in androind does not work. On the PC is working perfectly porem on Android does not work.:(

Last edited:

chorrus

That's good you are almost there!

Alright the problem is probably because the virtual key isn't being placed where they should. I'll show you what I'm using. Try this:

Code:
//Here I put the position where I want the button to be(xx and yy are there because I let the players modify the position of the on screen buttons)
x = 56 + xx
y = camera_get_view_height(view_camera[0]) - 46 + yy

// The position in the gui layer is usually different, so you need to use this
guiX = x * display_get_gui_width() / camera_get_view_width(view_camera[0])
guiY = y * display_get_gui_height() / camera_get_view_height(view_camera[0])

//Now you can draw it
kright = virtual_key_add(guiX , guiY - 40, 40, 80, vk_right);
With that the results should be the same in your PC and mobile device.